223 replies to this topic

#41 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

Looking good Wes! Keep changeing your mind, it makes me feel better.

I've got to get you over and help me with a little glass project.

Thanks Dan. What kind of "little glass project?"

You don't have to be crazy to do this... but it helps? Posted ImageVelo Rossa Build

#42 Dan Juday

Dan Juday

Don

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:00 AM

...What kind of "little glass project?"

Can't talk, big secret. Come help and you will part of the small crowd in-the-know. :lol:

Edited by Dan Juday, 24 February 2011 - 08:00 AM.

#43 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

Can't talk, big secret. Come help and you will part of the small crowd in-the-know. :lol:

Mysterious... I'm intrigued. :huh:

You don't have to be crazy to do this... but it helps? Posted ImageVelo Rossa Build

#44 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Nice day, and since I only worked 'till noon, did a little sanding and filling.

Attached File  1.JPG   110.1KB   13 downloads
Another pass with light filler, then I'll trim the back off.

Attached the trunk latch...

Attached File  2.JPG   95.47KB   17 downloadsAttached File  3.JPG   81.84KB   14 downloads

...and made a striker plate from a piece of scrap steel.

Attached File  4.JPG   88.08KB   13 downloadsAttached File  5.JPG   119.92KB   8 downloads

#45 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

I was able to spend a good chunk of money today on parts from Summit Racing. Several are on back order, so I'll continue working on the small body mods while I'm waiting.

Continued to round out the lower vents. They're not quite finished yet, but they're close enough to the look I'm aiming for, to get a little primer.

Attached File  10.JPG   108.13KB   11 downloadsAttached File  11.JPG   108.82KB   5 downloadsAttached File  12.JPG   91.99KB   2 downloads

I'm going to extend the "sugar scoops" 1 1/2 to 2 inches under the hood in the same way. I like the 3D look the extra depth adds.

Attached File  sugrscoops.JPG   64.86KB   5 downloads

#46 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

WOW!!! Summit Racing is serious about getting orders out quickly. I put the order in at 2:30 yesterday afternoon, and everything that was in stock arrived by 12:00 noon today. And that was using UPS regular ground delivery! Posted Image

Attached File  1.JPG   126.84KB   16 downloads

I guess when racing is actually part of the business' name, you gotta be fast. I can't stop staring at my shiny engine...

Attached File  2.JPG   137.63KB   19 downloadsAttached File  3.JPG   145.15KB   16 downloadsAttached File  4.JPG   111.89KB   20 downloads

...it just barely fits under the hood.

Attached File  5.JPG   150.06KB   17 downloads

#47 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

After reading a few threads here regarding throttle cables, I decide to go with the Mr. Gasket Universal Kit. The two LOKAR kits that seem to be the preference here are very nice... but at a combined cost of around $80 plus shipping?

Attached File  cable.JPG   265.62KB   11 downloads

My kit was $25. It looks great and works perfectly.

#48 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Made a couple of forms from a 5 gallon bucket to extend the scoops under the hood. Wasted most of the bucket using the trial and error method and didn't have enough left for the third form. Posted Image

Attached File  21.JPG   255.63KB   11 downloads

Attached File  20.JPG   122.84KB   11 downloads

Have to wait for another empty bucket.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#49 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

OK... found another bucket... made another form... and now it's glassin' time. Posted Image

Flipping the bonnet over on a couple of saw horses gave me the perfect working height. The forms were held in place with a few screws. I worked through the nose opening, as trying to get to the scoops from either side was quite awkward.

Can't wait to get the forms off and do a little finishing. Perfect activity for the rainy whether here.

Attached Files

• Attached File  31.JPG   134.35KB   9 downloads
  • Attached File  32.JPG   134.58KB   8 downloads
  • Attached File  33.JPG   123.1KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  34.JPG   117.73KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  35.JPG   115.53KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  36.JPG   117.67KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  37.JPG   118.1KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  38.JPG   146.22KB   5 downloads

#50 lowdown

lowdown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

depth looks great!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
1972 240Z

#51 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

Standing the bonnet on it's nose makes for easy clean up to the underside.

Attached File  41.JPG   107.5KB   8 downloadsAttached File  42.JPG   139.24KB   10 downloads

Still needs some sculpting to completely eliminate the joint lines, but looking pretty good so far.

Attached File  43.JPG   88.13KB   5 downloadsAttached File  44.JPG   81.22KB   5 downloadsAttached File  45.JPG   102.58KB   8 downloadsAttached File  46.JPG   108.42KB   15 downloads

The last of the cosmetic fiberglass work to the front will be to extend the inner lip of the large opening like in this Photoshopped image.

The headlights will be remounted to the inside of the hood for a cleaner, more modern look.

Attached File  proposed nose2.jpg   121.77KB   12 downloads

#52 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

Attached File  headlights.jpg   282.25KB   5 downloadsTo achieve the look I want for the headlights, I glassed-in four metal brackets to the back side of the front scoops. A little short strand fiberglass filler to 'glue' them in place and several layers of cloth and resin to completely secure them.

Attached File  11.JPG   141.02KB   6 downloads

I wrapped the headlight in foil and mounted the whole assembly.

Attached File  15.JPG   174.75KB   5 downloads

A little more filler to fill in the irregular gap...

Attached File  12.JPG   134.86KB   4 downloadsAttached File  13.JPG   198.11KB   4 downloads

...and some light sanding yields a perfectly round hole.

Attached File  22.JPG   217.96KB   4 downloads

I then turned my attention to the taillights.
After many hours of debating the exact locations of the lights, studying the curvature of the back panel, measuring, remeasuring, marking, erasing, remarking (in the exact same places) and then doing it all over again, I finally worked up the nerve to make that first cut. A rotary tool made easy work of the cutting and sanding of the fiberglass. The old Datsun sheet metal underneath was a different story. The depth of these lights, approximately 3 inches, required the modification of the old valance underneath. Limited access through the new holes, made for slow work. After a couple of hours of small cuts using the rotary tool cut off wheel and a reciprocating saw, and some adjusting with a hammer and short length of pipe, there was finally enough room to slip the mounting brackets in and bolt the lights up tight. ( Pics of the mangled sheet metal are too gruesome to post.)
I may adjust the orientation later, but for now I'm satisfied with the look.

Attached Files

#53 Dan Juday

Dan Juday

Don

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Those taillights look really sweet Wes. Nice work. And from every picture angle they look perfectly aligned! See, it pays to measure twice, or three times, or seven... :D

I see pencil marks where the license plate goes. Are you thinking of doing a recess for it? DO IT! You know you want too. :lol:

#54 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

Those taillights look really sweet Wes. Nice work. And from every picture angle they look perfectly aligned! See, it pays to measure twice, or three times, or seven... :D

I see pencil marks where the license plate goes. Are you thinking of doing a recess for it? DO IT! You know you want too. :lol:

You're so right Dan... I want to!! Posted Image

Quick question. You used a gas tank from a Subaru, right? What model and what is the capacity?

I need to make a decision pretty soon. Posted Image

#55 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Down to the final mod to the front. Extending the lip of the large nose opening. Still pretty rough.

Attached Files

#56 Dan Juday

Dan Juday

Don

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

You're so right Dan... I want to!! Posted Image

Quick question. You used a gas tank from a Subaru, right? What model and what is the capacity?

I need to make a decision pretty soon. Posted Image

Doing a plate recess would be easy compared to what you have already done. I've always thought the VR/GTO has too flat of a rear surface. A little depth adds more character. If I wasn't so freakin' busy right now I would suggest we get together and talk about it over a cool drink.

My gas tank came out of a Suzuki Samuri, first generation that we got here in the states. Keep in mind that it only holds about 10 or 11 gallons.

#57 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Doing a plate recess would be easy compared to what you have already done. I've always thought the VR/GTO has too flat of a rear surface. A little depth adds more character. If I wasn't so freakin' busy right now I would suggest we get together and talk about it over a cool drink.

My gas tank came out of a Suzuki Samuri, first generation that we got here in the states. Keep in mind that it only holds about 10 or 11 gallons.

I agree. I wanted to recess the lights as well... and I still might, if I get ambitious enough to deal with the metal work underneath. But the finished look has to be elegant.

Thats what I thought re. the gas tank. I'm considering a couple generic tanks that hold 15-17 gallons and have the right dimensions for mounting in the center of the old spare tire well. They leave plenty of room on the sides for mufflers and duel exhaust. Downside? As usual... cost. But I'll probably bite the bullet on this one to ensure quality and the final look I'm after. Posted Image

#58 datsun723

datsun723

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • LocationTemecula, Ca

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

I just read through this entire thread...it's AWESOME!

I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done ;)

#59 UofA_ZCar

UofA_ZCar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

nice wok
www.ActiveReleaseChiro.com
My Z build

#60 Fauxre

Fauxre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationNORCAL

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

I just read through this entire thread...it's AWESOME!

I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all done ;)

nice wok

Thanks guys. I appreciate the positive feedback. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users