HybridZ

Radiator exhaust

Some more cars to check for inspiration are the Argentinian touring cars. Search for TC2000 for some pics. The YPF Ford has a very advanced radiator ducting system that Claude Roulle talked about in his seminar. It was good for 25% reduction in drag and 30% more downforce.

The Ford radiator setup is also featured on the WRC.com site in a video with the cars designer. There's also a really cool discovery video that features the prodrive cars and shows them being built. And this was the season they had major issues with water splashes so they feature the ducting and what was done to fix it.

Cary

I guess I'm failing to see the difference from a 'standard' hood vented setup. Does the reduction in drag and increase in downforce mainly come from the side hood vents, the separation of intercooler and radiator ducting, the way the wide narrow horizontal slits on the front end are configured, or something else?

the gains are by less air getting "bottled" in the engine bay,

air removed from going under as a result the car gets pushed more to the ground by the other areodynamic features

And standard hood venting? whats this? hoods don't vent air in any practicle sence. As in early z vents? well one is blocked off, and the other, hardly vents anything, other than heat soak? or do you men a scoop? of to which ducts more air and turbulence into the engine bay resulting in more air going under the car....

Did I help clear that up???

oh wow I misssed the quote.. sorry my bad... well, it mentioned water splashing. if its ducted out the sides then the water wouldn't be coming out onto the windshield as for the increases, i would imagine it ducts more air than standard, and it might be comparing to a standard model car?

I guess I'm failing to see the difference from a 'standard' hood vented setup. Does the reduction in drag and increase in downforce mainly come from the side hood vents, the separation of intercooler and radiator ducting, the way the wide narrow horizontal slits on the front end are configured, or something else?

The Rouelle info was for the TC2000 touring cars not the WRC car pictured. The TC2000 YPF Ford featured a duct that reintroduced the cooling air (now heated) behind the wheel in a low pressure area. I was watching DTM this weekend on speed and it appears they have a similar arrangement. Why this increased downforce wasn't discussed. It could have been that it helped to increase front diffuser flow are allowed a higher pressure in the front of the car. Sorry, Claude has a way of saying things to get your attention but then often doesn't completely elaborate.

the gains are by less air getting "bottled" in the engine bay,

air removed from going under as a result the car gets pushed more to the ground by the other areodynamic features

And standard hood venting? whats this? hoods don't vent air in any practicle sence. As in early z vents? well one is blocked off, and the other, hardly vents anything, other than heat soak? or do you men a scoop? of to which ducts more air and turbulence into the engine bay resulting in more air going under the car....

Did I help clear that up???

oh wow I misssed the quote.. sorry my bad... well, it mentioned water splashing. if its ducted out the sides then the water wouldn't be coming out onto the windshield as for the increases, i would imagine it ducts more air than standard, and it might be comparing to a standard model car?

What I meant by a standard setup is something like that found on most high level race cars, like that of the Corvette C5R pictured in a prior post of this thread.

• 1 month later...