HybridZ

My Speedhut gauge install

ktm

My Z32 tranny already had a VSS sender. I simply reused that one once I got the speedo. Prox and I sourced a mechanical sender for the Z32 tranny to use with the stock speedo. I saved the VSS sender for the day that I went with an electronic speedo.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I did not have to remove the dash for installation. I used the mounting cups for the 2-1/16 gauges which allowed me to then bolt them in like stock gauges. The speedo and tach are 4-in. diameter and I friction fit them into the stock trim piece that bolts onto the gauge cup.

Edited by ktm

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question, did you have a noise problem with your tach? Mine was very bouncy above 3500 rpms.

Hmmm...mine is bouncy too, but not under acceleration. If I abruptly let off the throttle, the tach goes crazy and bounces all over the place and I get a LOT of missing. I'm betting I have a grounding problem as I've had some other gauge issues with the speedhut stuff...this time the water temp gauge increases when I turn on any of the electrical accessories in the car.

ktm,

Does your temp gauge instantly read higher when you turn on your lights, blower fan or wipers...anywhere between 5*-20* depending on electrical load?

R/

Dustin

ktm,

Does your temp gauge instantly read higher when you turn on your lights, blower fan or wipers...anywhere between 5*-20* depending on electrical load?

Dustin

Dustin, my temp gauge, actually all of my gauges (6 besides the tach and speedo) function fine and as expected. The temp gauge is rock steady and only fluctuates with engine temperature. I have no idea how your would fluctuate with electrical load since the gauge is a resistance style gauge similar to the stock temperature gauge. If your gauge is truly reading higher values with electrical load, is it instantaneous? These gauges use high-speed stepper motors and I would think that an electrical load influence would manifest itself immediately and the needle would jump.

Is your actuall engine missing?

As close as I could guess to a "miss"...it over-runs badly when I abruptly let off the throttle...lots of backfiring, spitting, rough running...then it all seems to clear up. Funny thing though is that if I rev smoothly or come off the throttle smoothly, it doesn't do it and the tach is smooth to reline. However power shifting makes it break up pretty badly (as well as the aforementioned throttle off situation).

Can't say it's the gauge making it do that though as it did it before, but my old Datsun gauge didn't register the "noise" as it was wired up differently. I will say that my ZX dist does not have the ground wire from the dist body to the chassis and I think I'm going to wire it back in to see if that clears up the problem.

R/

D

Dustin, my temp gauge, actually all of my gauges (6 besides the tach and speedo) function fine and as expected. The temp gauge is rock steady and only fluctuates with engine temperature. I have no idea how your would fluctuate with electrical load since the gauge is a resistance style gauge similar to the stock temperature gauge. If your gauge is truly reading higher values with electrical load, is it instantaneous? These gauges use high-speed stepper motors and I would think that an electrical load influence would manifest itself immediately and the needle would jump.

Yes, it's an instantaneous jump anywhere between 5*-20* depending on electrical load. Actually, everything going through the stock wiring harness (fan control, flashers, wipers) make the jump 5* each and combined something less than about 10* (not totally cumulative). Adding the lights (running off a battery relay harness) all by themselves adds 10* to the temp read-out and is cumulative combined with the other sources (i.e. heater fan + headlights = 15*, heater fan + wipers + headlights = 20*, heater fan + wipers + hazards = 20*).

I'm guessing I have a ground problem which along with the sensitive circuitry in the new gauges is causing it to read improperly. Just for reference, I am also running the 60 amp alt upgrade with the internal voltage regulator harness plug adapter.

R/

Dustin

• 4 weeks later...

Ron, yes I did buy them directly from Speedhut. I have not had a single issue with any of my gauges. The wiring is stupid simple and the lighting wiring is quite honestly genius (you'll see what I mean). I checked my speedo (using the VSS sender) with two different GPS based speedos (navigation unit and my Droid with a speedo app) and it was dead on. The tach is very responsive as well. Forget about a rock steady tach. :)

I really cannot think of anything I do not like about them (I've given it some thought). They are very responsive, Speedhut's customer service is responsive, shipping is fast, the gauges look great, etc.

I had a similar issue. It was resolved by placing a potentiometer inline with the purple looped lead of the tach. Contact Speedhut about this and they will help get it resolved. My potentiometer is located where the dimmer control used to be. Once it's adjusted nothing else is needed. I suppose you could get the tach to stabilize then measure the pot resistance and swap it out for a fixed resistor but getting to the rear of the gauges is a PITA in these dashes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thanks Bo,

Succumbed to peer pressure :wink:...

SpeedhutsBox.jpg

I thought I'd give the GPS speedometer a whirl. I don't have a speed sensor (mechanical or electric) so this is an easy solution.

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread, I popped for some gauges myself. I went with the Innovate MTX, for AFR, and I already have an auto-meter vacuum gauge.

I should be getting my Revolution gauges in the mail, this evening. I went with the 4" GPS Speedo w/ turn indicators, 4" quad combo gauge (so that I don't have to make more room for extra gauges and just use the stock locations) and a 2 5/8" tachometer. I'll edit this post and attach some pictures when I get them, hopefully, when I'm done with class tonight.

Edit:

These actual came about 10 minutes after I made this post, but I was getting ready to leave for class, so I couldn't take pics until I got home.

DSCN0091.jpg

Edited by kamikaZeS30

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...