HybridZ

1977 280z Daily Driven Project

Question is, what would have happened if you did have them? They are like solid chunks, I bet your hood acted as more of a cushion than the bumper would have, and actually made the crash less harsh on you. I will get a 240z bumper eventually, but they really don't do much. So I got my part thanks to Nelson (local guy) and I took the rear end apart, after getting the part and making the drive back it was sometime after 9 and at 10:32 the car was on the ground and rolling again. Here are a few pictures. I don't have any of it on the ground as it was dark and I was in a hurry to just be done with it.

?ui=2&ik=36f134e0a1&view=att&th=1258bba0d783b89a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zwcrackontop.jpg

2peices.th.jpg

rearjackstands.jpg

newtomepart.th.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I found the wiring issue I have been having, exposed radio speaker wires and some what of a hack job. Obviously will have to go more into it, but some things that could be an issue. Also, looks like all the wiring is fairly new or in amazing shape. Clean under dash from what I have looked at. Not to much dust and wires aren't faded.

Ok guys, I really need somebody to help me out as soon as possible. Like really want this fixed. My 280z is giving me an idle issue. A relay, I believe that Cylinder one on the drivers side, that or one of the two box ones, but I am pretty sure the cylinder one (will include picture later but its a bad cell pic, all I can get) clicks, and the car goes from 750 to 500 up and down, sometimes almost stalls if I don't hit the gas a little. It gets worse as I turn more electronics on. For example, lights, then brights, then hazards, then rear defog, then radio and so on. Just stuff like that, and it gets worse. As it happens you hear the relay clicking, and sometimes it just makes like a buzz noise. Is it the relay or is it my alternator? I really really can't afford an alternator and if I get a new one I am going to go z32 turbo 90 amp. Which leads to another question. Will a stock s30 alternator pass as a z32 core? I don't think it will, which makes the price from 150 to like 200+. I really hope you can help. As for the relay, here is a pic. I will make a video but its hard to get one on a cell that you can really hear it right. The car is kinda loud for the cell mic. How do you get the relay out and what does it do? Its in a tight bad spot so I can't really see up there good and have no idea.

saveee.jpg

Im not really sure what you're talking about with clicking noises and what not. But an issue with our z's, especially for the charging system, is the fusible links. If they are bad, it would make it seem a lot like the altenator is bad. It happened to my 75. I had the battery replaced and was about to upgrade the alt eventhough it was brand new, but i found a thread about the fusible links and replacing them with maxifuse units. So thats what i did and it fixed all my problems. I'm not sure if that all any help with your problem but maybe its worth a shot at checking out?

I saw that as well. I plan to do a version of that. I am getting idle surge, and it gets worse with the more power I use. For that reason I believe its because my alternator is putting out to little power, which may be the fusible links. By the clicking, you have never heard a relay click?

I'm sure I have but as far as what you are talkng about, no. The idle surge could be there becase your battery is going down the tubes from lack of recharge from the alt because of the fusible links. This happened to me. I bought a brand new battery and it fixed my problem for a few months but after that much time of it not being recharged properly, it was just too much and the battery Gave in. When it would et low the idle would surge and act like it was missing or te timing was off, then it would die completely and I'd have to recharge the battery with a seperate home charger. Like I said, i could be WAY off base here, but it's always good to try and get rid of those fusible links anyways, IMO.

Ok, small update, it snowed here today, So I am not going up to Portales to hang out with 240z8 today. I my bushings are on their way, like out for delivery by UPS. Right now I took out the radio because the Idle surge and I want to fix the hack job wiring. I got paid so I am slowly crawling out of the debt I am in with this car, had it for not even a month and I was 640 under, I am 463 away from being totally out. (Not with banks so everybody knows, family aka mom loans) As soon as I am out I will go with either 240sx or 280zx alternator so I can get rid of the external voltage regulator. Then I am getting rid of the stupid fusible links.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys. I haven't had any kind of update in a while. Trying to find a welder to put in some floors. I got a 280zxt alternator that I have cleaned up and will be installing tomorrow. I found some rust hiding under bondo but its nothing major and will be cut off when I eventually go ZG flares. For now I just cleaned it all to bare metal and painted it to stop/slow the progression. I am still going to be saving to get springs and struts. I also fixed the shifter slack with a couple washers. I will probably do the Chrysler? door hing pin bushing fix later on to do it proper. Other than that I have been finding surface rust and cleaning/painting it. I am also going to start putting the black interior bits in it I have. I am trying to decide if I should do that or just take out the rear interior. I don't have black vinyl pieces and really don't care much for the brown it has. I just don't really want to pull the look of "Look, I am saving weight in my daily by taking out 20 pounds of interior" kinda thing.

Ok guys. I haven't had any kind of update in a while. Trying to find a welder to put in some floors. I got a 280zxt alternator that I have cleaned up and will be installing tomorrow. I found some rust hiding under bondo but its nothing major and will be cut off when I eventually go ZG flares. For now I just cleaned it all to bare metal and painted it to stop/slow the progression. I am still going to be saving to get springs and struts. I also fixed the shifter slack with a couple washers. I will probably do the Chrysler? door hing pin bushing fix later on to do it proper. Other than that I have been finding surface rust and cleaning/painting it. I am also going to start putting the black interior bits in it I have. I am trying to decide if I should do that or just take out the rear interior. I don't have black vinyl pieces and really don't care much for the brown it has. I just don't really want to pull the look of "Look, I am saving weight in my daily by taking out 20 pounds of interior" kinda thing.

Leave the rear interior, the noise without it is hideous. Im not sure what you mean by surge, do you have a video? is it like this : http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x131/nwkled06/?action=view&current=MVI_1113.flv&newest=1

Replace your fusible links with the maxi fuse box setup, my car ran with a surge, basically a small misfire and its getting annoying Ive done everything. but im seafoaming it and replacing the fuses later this week. lol I tried to do the rust fix thing, I ended up just leaving bondo half done on my car because it snowed and I didnt have it all the way dry, so one of these days ill grind it all off and tape the car off, bondo over it again and primer it right.

Im not sure what you mean by surge, do you have a video?

The idle bonces between 750 and 500. Still does it now that the new alternator is in. Got a BIG problem folks. Help me and help me quick. I daily this car and now my brake lights are not working. I am not sure what has happened. I did the swap using this guide (77 external voltage regulator to a 280zxt internal alt.) http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html Now I am totally screwed. If you read this and can help! PLEASE DO SO! I need my lights. Also the interior gauge lighting does not work. Tested the alternator. Its working fine 70amps and everything proper. If you can help, DO IT!

up, guys I am searching. I really need help, don't pass me off because I didn't search or anything. I really really need help. I need my lights fixed. NOW! I am messing with wires, back and forth, checked fuses, fusible links. Don't know where else to look.

Going to add all the details I know. The hazards, gauge lights, tail lights, and brake lights do not work. The turn signals and headlights still work. As well as the seat belt light, and the parking brake light. I am guessing relay? or fuse? Fuses are fine... What are the relays, and where are the relays, for these lights? Pics would be great, I know I am asking for alot. I am still searching, if I find anything I will post back that I got it.

Going to add all the details I know. The hazards, gauge lights, tail lights, and brake lights do not work. The turn signals and headlights still work. As well as the seat belt light, and the parking brake light. I am guessing relay? or fuse? Fuses are fine... What are the relays, and where are the relays, for these lights? Pics would be great, I know I am asking for alot. I am still searching, if I find anything I will post back that I got it.

here what is your number, I had the same problem and I cant explain it on here without sounding like dumbledorf.

If your still Up I can help you, I had the identical problem.