HybridZ
ModernS30

1977 280z Daily Driven Project

Just curious but whats the story on the wheels that were in the hatch? they look kinnnda like my turbines i powdercoated... but more spread out?

Well, I have been trying to figure that out too. They are Rockets (that's what the center caps said at least) They came with some 280z's (found this out by seeing a few more on other 280z's) I got them on the 76 I parted out a while ago. They are 14x6.5 with a 0 offset. They use the "shank" style lug nuts. I don't have a lug set or they would be on the car. There was also a picture of a correvette on here a while ago with the same style but they were like 17 inches instead of 14. I have been trying to figure out exactly what they are for over a year with no luck. They seem to be really rare from what I have found and probably worth a little. I tried to get rid of them locally a while back and couldn't even get 150 for the whole set though (probably because they are only 14)

Good start, are you planning to remove those bumper shocks?

Don't know if you saw, there is only the Rear passengers left. I plan to take it out over the weekend when I am lower on gas but it depends on if I find the time and effort. Plus I have to be sure I am lower on gas, I don't wanna do it with over a half tank. I would like to be down to at least a quarter tank. Then I was gonna try to go to RR this weekend too and weld up the floors and maybe those lovely holes in the back there. I am assuming the entire tank needs to come out to weld the holes up because its way to close to the tank and it could go BOOM.

Don't know if you saw, there is only the Rear passengers left. I plan to take it out over the weekend when I am lower on gas but it depends on if I find the time and effort. Plus I have to be sure I am lower on gas, I don't wanna do it with over a half tank. I would like to be down to at least a quarter tank. Then I was gonna try to go to RR this weekend too and weld up the floors and maybe those lovely holes in the back there. I am assuming the entire tank needs to come out to weld the holes up because its way to close to the tank and it could go BOOM.

Must have missed one.

It's somewhat of a Botch to take off the gas tank but not too hard just make sure to hold it up with a jack so it doesn't come down hard on you. I also had to violently shake the bumper shock off of mine so it could come off not that much of a biggie I did everything in around 40 mins.

Let us know how it went.

Must have missed one.

It's somewhat of a Botch to take off the gas tank but not too hard just make sure to hold it up with a jack so it doesn't come down hard on you. I also had to violently shake the bumper shock off of mine so it could come off not that much of a biggie I did everything in around 40 mins.

Let us know how it went.

Oh, I haven't done it yet, I don't mean take it all the way out for welding (shaving) the rear holes up. I won't go all bondo or glass, that's ghetto, I like to have metal on my cars. lol

So, I was looking on ebay, and saw a key for a Mistubishi. I saw the ones for Nissan a long time ago but cannot find anymore now. Its the butterfly knife style keys and I really like the idea of having one. I know its ricer but I really don't care because I think it will be cool. So I am having a butterfly knife sent to me and I am going to RUIN! the knife by taking it apart and putting a key in it. I will post pictures after I get the knife and key. Will go to Nissan tomorrow and have a key made. If it turns out well I might even be able to make some for others. Plan is to lay the knife onto the key and trace out the mount points and such to cut the key to fit. We will see how this goes but I felt like posting up the idea and also was wondering if anybody else has ever tried this or anything similar.

So, I was looking on ebay, and saw a key for a Mistubishi. I saw the ones for Nissan a long time ago but cannot find anymore now.

Look a teensy bit harder :icon45:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z-510-620-1200-BLANK-KEYS-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2304d5ed94QQitemZ150404984212QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_527wt_939

Edit* I thought you were looking for originals....MY BAD!

yea, looked at that key kit. The dealer should carry a replacement key right? It doesn't have to have the Z symbol on it, have a door and ignition key with that on it. I just want one to make into the butterfly key.

Oh, I haven't done it yet, I don't mean take it all the way out for welding (shaving) the rear holes up. I won't go all bondo or glass, that's ghetto, I like to have metal on my cars. lol

I got it now.

I had to drop my gas tank to get to some of the bolts on the passanger bumper shock in order to remove it. I agree if you're going to shave the holes in the rear do it the right way with sheet metal that's how I did mine. Good luck

Ok guys. I drove my car as much as I could this week and my tank is just about half empty with the way I drove. I only have a little over 90 miles so I am still most likely over half tank. Any ideas on if I could drop it enough with that in it to get the bumper shock out or am I going to be pushing it?

A gallon of gas weighs about 6 pounds. Doesn't your tank have a drain plug? Mine '77 did.

Ok guys. I drove my car as much as I could this week and my tank is just about half empty with the way I drove. I only have a little over 90 miles so I am still most likely over half tank. Any ideas on if I could drop it enough with that in it to get the bumper shock out or am I going to be pushing it?

A gallon of gas weighs about 6 pounds. Doesn't your tank have a drain plug? Mine '77 did.

yea, it does, I would rather not have 7 gallons of gas slam on me. that would hurt I guess that's ~ 42lbs. Maybe I can just drain out 5 gallons into a gas can and be alright.

I certainly would. That tank is not the easiest thing to balance. You shouldn't have to move it too much to get at the bumper bolts. Keep an eye on the fuel lines so they don't get stressed.

YAY! I got it out, One fuel line was a little tricky but I didn't drain any gas I just pushed the tank more to the side and wiggled around and got it out. It was a pain but in the end it was worth it. I also pin pointed my light issue today. I was messing with some wires earlier and realized my lights had stopped again. Went back, wiggled the same wires and they work again. Looks like I am going to be de-looming that entire area and replacing all the wire with something a little bigger and newer. I would rather use larger gauge because I put the zxt alternator on there and it should be stronger that way I can resist having a short. I also cleaned up the wiring where I took out the external voltage regulator and did the fusible link swap. I just ran out of tape to get it all back in a loom.

Picks with be up asap for some reason image shack is being dumb.

Now to weld those holes up

Buy me a welder? haha if you cant tell, the passenger one had rusted on the bottom and apparenty whatever previous owner that painted the car thinks that silicone and metal repairs rust. If you don't understand what I mean, he used silicone to put metal over rust, and he also tried to use silicone to cover the entire drivers side floor board hole, which made it worse. Basically the cracks on the front valance are siliconed shut as well. Meaning when, not if but when, I go to put an aftermarket air dam on it its just going to be more and more trouble and I am going to have to go thru and clean all the SILICONE! off the car. Since when did this become a method of dent/crack filling? Why would anybody use silicone?

It's good to see you doing stuff to your car. Makes me want to go do stuff to mine, but it's 2 AM so that's gonna have to wait. Just wondering, why are you moving?

Long story. Not maybe not Mississippi anymore. My mom is looking for another job. She HATES the job she has now, so she is basically trying to find a good one. She got an offer, but got a better one right after. So what if its 2am, that's what its about, z love, lol. I just decided that instead of going with a 280z air dam I should get a 240z air dam and do the signal conversion. and then get the 240z bumpers. Just a random thought. Oh and I still want that hood latch, I just have other things I need to spend my limited $$ on right now. Such as maybe a welder. I got some rust spots to fix up, and I keep finding more, not a lot more, just little spots. But nothing really horrible yet (hope for me guys). You should hurry and get your car running and down to abq before the 6th for the SQC dyno day/BBQ =P I plan to take the 280z. Will be a blast to put down my ~120hp (rated 170 stock right? adjust for 30 years wear and my cheap gas habits and I think you should have 120, I think the 77 l28 was 170ish.)

Oh yea Justin, want any interior peices? haha, wait crap, you have a 240z. I guess I will take pics and post up everything I have for sale. Anybody up for a stock 280z air box? I have 2 of them... Tail light cover panels, dome light holder panel thingy, quarter window panels... I have those all in black and broke 1 set of each and for the right price I will even take off my door panels and sell them (brown and in amazing shape) The brown quarter window panels have the speaker holes in them and I can get the matching panel below it off. Also have the strut covers in both black and brown. I got to much junk and not enough money.

Edited by NOTSUREWHATTOPUT
Because I'm retarded

Somebody please help me. The light issue has come back. The map light (one in the dash) dash lights, rear defogger, door chime, brake lights, tail lights, hazards, marker lights, radio (aftermarket not sure what its wired into) aren't working.

Ok guys, I figured out what was wrong thanks to two80zforme. I did the same thing he told me last time and this time it worked, all my lights started working and my door chime came on, I am not sure why the light switch affect the door chime and my radio and stuff but It seems I need a new light switch. At first the way I had done it made them all come on and stay on, key out switch off no matter what. I got it where I can just splice 2 for now and it will work only when I turn the switch on.