HybridZ

300zx RB25DET build

boarderline

hey, i my name is jason. i have been looking at putting an RB in to my 1987 300zx for a couple few months. i have been looking at a lot of your post's on RB builds. thank you ritter for being so specific with your post. i will be posting pics once i start workin on my RB25DET swap. here is my engine that i just bought.

MyRB.jpg

MyRB1.jpg

FERGz

where is that meet at? it should be done by then. i got alot of time. i do have a few questions for you. i will have to go through your thread to see everything that i am confused with and then i will just send you a PM with all my questions. theres not alot, just a few.

FERGz

• 1 month later...

ok, so have done alot of work on my z since the last time i posted. took the front bumper off, the intercooler off, the radiator out, cut the radiator support, and pulled the engine and tranny.did all that in 3 hours. once everything was disconnected and unbolted we got the engine and tranny out in 6 min. thats some pit crew speed right there. can tell we have done it a few times huh, haha. here are some movies

http://qik.com/video/4146138

http://qik.com/video/4146138

http://qik.com/video/4146209?ref=nf

http://qik.com/video/4147533

the new and the old

mazdamallerandplaything.jpg

got the old wire harness out

rbswap.jpg

RBswap1.jpg

cleaned up the engine bay

rbswap2.jpg

gettin ready to paint..

mynewengine.jpg:)

primed and painted!

rbswap3.jpg

rbswap5.jpg

I also took my old rack and pinion out and i will be getting a new one next week.

:2thumbs:

looks like your ready to drop that motor in

thanks! its getting there. I need to fabricate my engine and tranny mounts and figure out the oil pan, which more than likely i will be sending it to you but if I could do it myself and save some money that would be nice.

Hey I guess since we are at the same stage right now I can ask you some questions. What type of oil pan are you going to use and if its rear sump what are you going to do about mounts. Thats the only thing holding me up right now. Also what are you going to use for engine management. Thanks.

Im putting it in a z32 but I our crossmembers are pretty much the same so I figure I would ask.

Hey I guess since we are at the same stage right now I can ask you some questions. What type of oil pan are you going to use and if its rear sump what are you going to do about mounts. Thats the only thing holding me up right now. Also what are you going to use for engine management. Thanks.

Im putting it in a z32 but I our crossmembers are pretty much the same so I figure I would ask.

hey, whats up! that is sweet that you are doing that to a z32! do you have a RB25det? right now i have a front sump on it but that wont work with the cross member and if you find a rear sump online they are crazy expensive. So I was thinking about converting my front sump to a rear sump myself but I found a guy on here, which I believe his name is PAT1, but he makes them from scratch. SO i will prolly send my front sump to him and ave him convert it to a rear sump. With the mounts, since the RB25 mount are only 18" apart and the z31 mount are 22" apart, i am going to fabricate a plate to bring them in 2" on each side. Also with the z31 mounts they are at the wrong angle, so i am going to cut the engine mounts down 2" (for hood clearance) and at a less steep of an angle. There is a guy on here, i forgot what his user name is but his real name is Jason Ritter, he did the same thing i am doing and he has pics of pretty much every step. When i bought my RB it came with the wire harness and the ecu for it too so that is what i am using for the engine management.

hey, whats up! that is sweet that you are doing that to a z32! do you have a RB25det? right now i have a front sump on it but that wont work with the cross member and if you find a rear sump online they are crazy expensive. So I was thinking about converting my front sump to a rear sump myself but I found a guy on here, which I believe his name is PAT1, but he makes them from scratch. SO i will prolly send my front sump to him and ave him convert it to a rear sump. With the mounts, since the RB25 mount are only 18" apart and the z31 mount are 22" apart, i am going to fabricate a plate to bring them in 2" on each side. Also with the z31 mounts they are at the wrong angle, so i am going to cut the engine mounts down 2" (for hood clearance) and at a less steep of an angle. There is a guy on here, i forgot what his user name is but his real name is Jason Ritter, he did the same thing i am doing and he has pics of pretty much every step. When i bought my RB it came with the wire harness and the ecu for it too so that is what i am using for the engine management.

His user name is Racinjitter

Yeah Pat made me a pan for mine back in Dec. Very nice fit better than the 200ZR pan I originally had. On the mounts I found a guy on the RBz32 site that did it another way. He was able to mount the drivers side motor mount to our stock location but then he made a bracket and bolted it to the frame of the car to fit the other RB mount and it worked. I will find the link and post it for you. I may repin my harness to match a R33 I have the R34 style harness and I was thinking if I could use my Z ecu it is already flashed for the setting I plan on using. I will never go higher than 555cc injectors but the option of maps for different turbos make me want to use nistune.

Yeah Pat made me a pan for mine back in Dec. Very nice fit better than the 200ZR pan I originally had. On the mounts I found a guy on the RBz32 site that did it another way. He was able to mount the drivers side motor mount to our stock location but then he made a bracket and bolted it to the frame of the car to fit the other RB mount and it worked. I will find the link and post it for you. I may repin my harness to match a R33 I have the R34 style harness and I was thinking if I could use my Z ecu it is already flashed for the setting I plan on using. I will never go higher than 555cc injectors but the option of maps for different turbos make me want to use nistune.

hmmm, that is an interesting way to do it. That kinda makes me think that the z32 mounts are a different distance apart than the z31 mounts. If i did that i would think the engine would actually be offset to one side.

here is a pic of what i am going to do with my mounts

RBenginemounts2.jpg

RBenginemounts.jpg

that would be cool if you could use the Z ecu. nistune is nice, you can tune to what ever you want pretty much. my brother uses it in his 240z.