HybridZ

Fuel pump Upgrade?

turbeau

my mechanical fuel pump is ticking pretty loud. its on a SU carb'ed L28. just a street car that i have taken to 1/8th drag a couple times.

should i upgrade to an electric pump? i dont know anything yet about fuel pumps so suggestions/advice/install would be very informative. thanks

Just try to buy one off someone on craigslist used for cheap or Motorsportauto for like $60 if noise is only your issue. Unless you are lacking fuel pressure then that is much cheaper and as simple as undoing some bolts and being careful to not ruin your gaskets. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

The mechanical pumps are quite reliable and easy to install. My first choice would be to replace what you have. Check your oil for fuel stench. Most mechanical pumps will leak into the block if the diaphragm is failing. I run an early 80's carb'd RX7 electric pump in my 240Z. It puts out a steady 4 psi. Quiet as a church mouse too. It's mounted on the down bracket for the rear suspension. There are two holes in the flange of my stock fuel tank that would accomodate a custom fuel pump bracket. The wiring is already back there for the pump. Electrics push much better than pull.

The mechanical pumps are quite reliable and easy to install. My first choice would be to replace what you have. Check your oil for fuel stench. Most mechanical pumps will leak into the block if the diaphragm is failing. I run an early 80's carb'd RX7 electric pump in my 240Z. It puts out a steady 4 psi. Quiet as a church mouse too. It's mounted on the down bracket for the rear suspension. There are two holes in the flange of my stock fuel tank that would accomodate a custom fuel pump bracket. The wiring is already back there for the pump. Electrics push much better than pull.

Did you keep your return line with the RX7 pump or have you blocked it?

:cheers:

for a stock setup the mechanical is good. What the PO did on my car was to delete the mechanical fuel pump and just run an electrical, low pressure fuel pump from autozone. It's noisy, but nothing that doesn't get drowned out when I hit the gas.

My plan is to upgrade to a quiet electrical fuel pump with a setup similar to stonehenge69's. An electrical pump run into a filter then into a FPR to get it down low. This is simply done to make it quiet.

But the mechanical fuel pump will hold up even for triple carbs, so for simplicity stick with it.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/2100049/page=1

I kept the return to the tank using the stock setup (feed line, fuel rail, return line).

Thanks! I have had a couple now that couldn't maintain pressure without blocking the return. It's understandable since the Facet I have now is really rated 4psi max and that is likely rated without a return line.

The older Facet I had burned up (b/c of my voltage regulator) but even that one couldn't push enough fuel with the return line (rated 4-5.5 I believe).

My current setup has the low pressure Facet acting as a feed for the mechanical pump. It sounds like that RX7 pump will work perfectly to eliminate the mechanical pump and keep the return

:cheers:

If you DO add an electric fuel pump, you can use some thick rubber matting or even tire re-treading to insulate the mounting base and help try to avoid some of the noise transmitting through the chassis. Obviously a tire re-tread is a mega-redneck way to do it, but you get the gist.

If you DO add an electric fuel pump, you can use some thick rubber matting or even tire re-treading to insulate the mounting base and help try to avoid some of the noise transmitting through the chassis. Obviously a tire re-tread is a mega-redneck way to do it, but you get the gist.

Even if it might be redneck, you can't argue with the results. My friends used leftover roll cage padding on a noisy Walbro and it worked wonders :mrgreen: