HybridZ

1982 280zx need help

Mahaley

Thank you Mayolives for your help!

I was trying to trace the problem because it ran great one day and I parked it, the next morning I went out and it wouldn't crank. I knew it already needed a new cap and rotor just by appearance, I felt " well go ahead and replace plugs to" . I read another posting about the coil so I just replaced it too. Did not help.

I replaced everything just as it was.......it stopped running before I replaced anything.

when you hit the switch the engine turns over just like it did before the plus want fire, I even pulled it out and placed it aginst metal and did not see a spark "I did have help with that one.. :] I'm at a point where I'm not sure what to try next ? I'll be checking for your help thank you oh yes my cap does look like that.

I'm surprised to see that others have not replied to your need for help. I suspect your problem may be electrical in nature. At first I thought the problem arose after you replaced the tune up parts but apparently that's not the case. Do you have a factory service manual? A simple unplug and re-plug of one of several connections could correct your problem. If you don't have a FSM, search here for the link to download one for your car and then follow the various trouble shooting guidelines in the manual. By doing so, you will find the source of your problem and also get a better understanding of what make your car "tick". All in all, and compared to newer cars, your car is relatively simple and electrical bugs are easily detected.

What tests have you done? What was your fuel pressure at when you checked it. Have you gone over all your electrical connections and cleaned them, these cars are notorious for having corroded connections that keep the car from starting or make them run poorly. I would start at the water temp sensor.

Have you checked you battery connections, try cleaning them, are you sure your battery is still good.

Are you getting spark at your coil when you crank it? maybe your ignition needs to be replaced.

Do a search and you should find plenty of people that had the same problems and solved them.

Yes, the Electromotive forum is the wrong place to come for help! You don't have an Electromotive system, you are still using a stock distributor. I'd try posting in the L6 forum as you will surely get more people looking at your post. This forum is only for the Electromotive TEC engine management systems.

Good Luck

Joe

I have ckeck every thing to check. Rplaces, plugs in order, replace cap in order. replaced roto, change spark plus. replace ignitinon control module, checked all fuse blocks. checked fuses.checked fuse conections. put in a knew battery. check fuel preasure. I even cleaned all grounds.

I think I bought a dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I' sick of it

I think I've read every posting on this site

okay, go download the FSM for your car, just search it and it should come up. From there you can look up every part of your ignition system and it shouldn't be to hard to trace the problem.

It Could just be a bad ground, blown fusible link, or lose connection somewhere.

get your model-specific FSM right here and bookmark this site:

http://xenons130.com/reference.html

If you don't have an Ohmmeter, get one and use the ECU tests in the FSM to isolate the problem. it will take time but it will get you closer to the real problem faster than a anything else.

Reading this, I have a strong suspicion it's something to do with the battery cables. My 87 Toyota Truck had this issue where it just went "Click" when I tuned it over - no crank and no spark... Turned out my battery cables were really in bad shape and arcing inside the terminal connector! Check yours out, make sure they are clean (be safe - read up on batteries before touching those wires so you don't hurt yourself or your car..

Good luck

I'm still unclear as to exactly where you do not have spark. Have you pulled a plug wire from the dist. cap to see if it arks back to the cap when you try to start the car? Have you checked the IC unit (small box attached to the side of the dist.)? Do you have an ohm/multitester or voltmeter? You said that you had tried two different coils. Were they new or removed from a running car? Did you check them with test equipment? How have you checked the fusible links? Have you checked your ignition switch? Several have told you to get and study the FSM. Someone even spoon feed you a link to get a free download FSM. It is your friend and will solve 99.9% of all simple problems associated with the maintenance and repair of you very simple car. I have ask for and received help from members on the website many times. but I'm over and out until you study more and help yourself!

yea they are helping you, jsut heed there advice! now i had a problem similar to this and it was my distributor. it was sending an irregular spark. check the signal to the distributor and to the coil. get a test light to do this. test everything related to starting the car with this. get the manual and look up the wiring diagrams and follow everything and test it all.

• 1 year later...