HybridZ

Urethane engine mounts for L series

subtle_driver

Hi, I am looking for a company that makes a bolt on urathane engine mount for my l24 in my 1973 240z. I keep breaking the stock style ones in half. I went through 3 sets, need something beefy.

Or if nobody makes one, what is the easiest and most readily available methood of doing this? I hear of using transmission mounts from Ford or Chevy? Please list part numbers and details. Thank you!

What are you doing to break your mounts man? Dropping the clutch at every opportunity and/or burnouts? :burnout:

Keep an eye open at car shows and track days. I've seen some very clever designs at places like this that you may find suitable.

I've never actually destroyed engine mounts like you mentioned but I have destroyed one clutch, one gearbox and 14 H190 diff. centres :wink: I'm no stranger to mechanical punishment. Just ask my mates who for years had loooong black marks out the front of their places. HEHEHE :icon45:.

Good luck man, tell us what you finally decide on. Cheers. :mrgreen:

Limit engine movement using a small link from the crossmember to the engine mount on the block...some people use chain, others use a swaybar link and bracket tabs.

By using end links of urethane or stock rubber, you can dictate how you dampen the engine movement.

Chevrolet tranny mounts are close...

But I'd limit engine movement and keep the stock engine mounts.

I ran 265's out back, and could launch under 17psi boost with good hook for years and the end links never let the mounts go away. And ran without those for years before copying the idea from someone else!

Are these new NISSASN mounts you are breaking?

Thanks for the ideas, but I'm looking to replace the rubber ones with urathane as I'm planning to go with a 400 or so hp setup. I do alot of Autocross and Rally racing and drag racing; as well as a combined 45 minute mountain run (both ways) on my way to work every day. I brake all brands of mounts, nissan/and aftermarket. So I'm giving up and wanting to use Urathane. I have a mostly stock l-24 that puts down 140 rwhp on the dyno. enought to eventually cause the engine to hit the nismo strut brace when the mount breaks.

Does anyone have pictures of a "almost bolt-in" mount that does not require too much fabrication. i have a mount in hand and im gonna go to the parts store and see what chevy urathane mounts will work from autozone. thanks for the tips!

As long as we are on the subject. I'm also looking for a mount for the transmission....

I have a hard time seeing a "stock" 140whp L-series breaking engine mounts.

The big question would be not which mounts to use but what else is wrong that's causing the engine to "twist" that much under stock hp/tq?

treat the problem not the symptom...obviously if you're doing rally style (offroad) racing I could see the mounts breaking but that's the only aspect of racing which you mentioned that I could see it happening.

yea, gotta agree there, there is something else causing the mount failure. you need to isolate/repair that.

The other option to look at if its a competition car is to hard mount the engine, It'll make it noisier in the cabin, and a bit harsher to drive, but you wont loose any torque with twisting mounts.

May help to squeeze a little more performance out of it.

If I could not break the original mounts in my 79 280zx back in high school, then there is no way you can break them with an l24 that is mostly stock. I beat the ever loving crap out of that car. Went to the drag strip nearly every weekend. I just dont see it happening. There has to be something else going on.

I looked forever to find something close with no luck. I ended up modifying the stock mounts by cutting up the brackets and welding a tube to them the size to fit some urethane moustache bushings. I then made a simple u shaped bracket to accept it. Pics below.

1-4-06_059.JPG

1-4-06_062.JPG

The trans mount was way more involved as I moved the motor back and inch as well as using a 240sx gear box. The bushings are urethane from a late model 240 crossmember.

Picture_0084.JPG

Picture_0103.JPG

Just some ideas for you to think about

I looked forever to find something close with no luck. I ended up modifying the stock mounts by cutting up the brackets and welding a tube to them the size to fit some urethane moustache bushings. I then made a simple u shaped bracket to accept it. Pics below.

1-4-06_059.JPG

1-4-06_062.JPG

The trans mount was way more involved as I moved the motor back and inch as well as using a 240sx gear box. The bushings are urethane from a late model 240 crossmember.

Picture_0084.JPG

Picture_0103.JPG

Just some ideas for you to think about

OMG.....they're beautiful.........and perfect!!

Thanks again for the input guys. YES, i break them with my l24! that is why i am concerned about hp. btw, the rally cross does the least to the mounts as there is very little traction. in high traction combined with instant torque situations is when the mounts get the most abuse.

I am not a fan of hard mounting anything unless it is a last resort. The vibrations will cause bolts inside/around the engine and the turbo setup to come loose. I also daily drive the car, it would eventually cause premature fatigue of some of the metals and castings.

BTW, please don't show your engine/trans mounts unless you are willing to make me a set:). those look very functional and they will keep the engine from moving forward under heavy breaking. But seriously... ya, i found those pictures when i was searching, but i was hoping there was something easier...

I am sure there might be a market for these types of setups

1-4-06_059.JPG

What I did was go to a captive energy suspension mount - search on here for captive engine mounts and you will find a thread started by me. In my case I have also gone to RB power but I was going to use this same setup on a L6 - ie modify the mount on the block like Monzter did but to take the slightly wider ears of the energy suspension mount (this is what I did to the RB mounting kit that was designed for the stock L6 engine mounts)

So there you have 2 possible options - the ones that Monzter has done (replicate that) or move to the energy suspension mount like I did - again some mods required to the mount bracket.

you cant make a set for me eh? I'm planning on using a 240sx trans to replace my 280zx box.

I simply dont have time to make anything right now, Its been a busy 6 months. I would be happy to share any cad files or take more photos if anyone needs info to make their own.

Jeff

Edited by MONZTER
typo