HybridZ

Derek's EFI ITB manifold pricing thread

Derek

Well I guess the time has come to put some pricing up for my EFI manifold. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=129941 This still doesn't mean I'm going to produce them. I know that sounds snarky but I figure this will separate the wheat from the chaff. I can then decide what I'm going to do from there.

The first thing to remember is they aren't cheap. You can absolutely buy less expensive ITB setups. There is a ton of hand work producing these. The only reason to justify spending the money is for the looks. And to me they're worth every penny! Ok lots of pennies.

I've broken it into three pieces. Manifolds, linkages and fuel delivery.

Manifolds including throttle shafts and butterflies $2100.00

Linkage including 6 arms and 5 links with rod ends. $385.00

Fuel delivery. Injector hold downs. Stainless lines and distribution block $750.00

I don't have pricing worked up yet on the vacuum log.

As with everything these prices are subject to change. If I do decide to produce I'll only take orders for 3 and then revisit the pricing.

Thanks

Derek

The simple fact that you get someone who's shared his trials and tribulations and has had local members pop in and catch a glance or two and a ride in the car to attest to it's drive-ability and performance is second to none when looking at the pricing.

I think anywhere between 2000- 3000 shipped is a steal of a deal considering what we've witnessed here and who's backing his product.

Rock on, D-block!

:rockon:

Derek i think that price is very reasonable if not even cheap for how much work you have into the manifold. Like every one said. You where not secretive about the problems you had and shared the whole building process with us. I have a feeling your going to get those 3 orders sooner than later

His pricing is set on the groupings.

Someday, if he sells enough, he might break things out a bit.

You have to consider that he was thoughtful of time, materials, desire (of certain parts) and above all......profit! ( Like any good capitalist:))

Yes I am a capitalist pig!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think the pricing is pretty fair but the proof will be in the puddin.

Right now i don't plan to sell any of the parts separately out of the groups.

Derek

I think you will find out that a price that is fair for the work, and the price you can get people to pay is two different things. I have built all sorts of ITB manifolds and log manifolds for guys, and they key is production. If you can build ten or so at a time, to get the cost down, then you will sell. Just like my cylinder head setup. I get two PM's or emails a week, asking if I would build that person a head setup. I say sure I will, Then I tell them I would have to build the complete motor to ensure everything will be setup correctly, then they about die when I tell them it will be about 10k for a complete setup. I can make more money selling lots of 200.00 items than I can selling little of more expensive items. Point is, people will say it is a fair price, but when it comes down to people actually buying, its a different ball game.

The common person cannot even fathom how much work it takes to build these custom L series setups.

Good luck though.

Derek,

I think your pricing is very fair for the unique setup you've built.. and the incredible workmanship you provide.

Best of luck!

Thanks.

I think you will find out that a price that is fair for the work, and the price you can get people to pay is two different things. I have built all sorts of ITB manifolds and log manifolds for guys, and they key is production. If you can build ten or so at a time, to get the cost down, then you will sell. Just like my cylinder head setup. I get two PM's or emails a week, asking if I would build that person a head setup. I say sure I will, Then I tell them I would have to build the complete motor to ensure everything will be setup correctly, then they about die when I tell them it will be about 10k for a complete setup. I can make more money selling lots of 200.00 items than I can selling little of more expensive items. Point is, people will say it is a fair price, but when it comes down to people actually buying, its a different ball game.

The common person cannot even fathom how much work it takes to build these custom L series setups.

Boy you got that right!

The castings are just a minor part of everything it takes to make these run. There is a huge amount of machining and fitting that has to happen.

I put the pricing up because people were asking. Even if I get firm orders for three that won't cover the expense of updating the patterns for production.

Realistically no one is falling over themselves to buy a set.

Derek

I have been called an arrogant bastard for making that very same comment! How true it is, though. I guess people don't like being referred to a 'common' or 'average'!:icon45:

BTW, that OS Gikken Head is actually a $100K engine buildup as they will only use the heads they have remaining if they assemble it in it's entirety.

$10K seems like a big discount!:mrgreen:

As for falling over themselves to buy a set... is this an official order thread now? I wasn't aware. I may have to send a P.M.!!! That will upset the wife to no end...but I think The Blue Turd deserves a distinctive induction setup from "That Horny Z Guy"! Will you have that cast into the flange, Derek? "THZG Casting Works"

As for falling over themselves to buy a set... is this an official order thread now? I wasn't aware. I may have to send a P.M.!!! That will upset the wife to no end...but I think The Blue Turd deserves a distinctive induction setup from "That Horny Z Guy"!

Kind of sorta maybe. If I can get three firm orders from reputable forum members (that leaves you out) then I'll start the next private conversation with those three as to how to make it happen and the time frames involved.

Will you have that cast into the flange, Derek? "THZG Casting Works"
Well considering I own Datsunworks.com I'm imagining that will be on there somewhere! Until nissan sends me the cease and desist order that is. Then they'll really be collectible.

Shoot me a pm and we can set up a time to talk.

Your custom intake manifold is craftsmanship excellence bar none. The thing is these are used cars and people who drive used cars unless they are Jay Leno do not have alot of money to spend on parts and whatnot.

We might be loathe to admit this as everyone wants to be seen as a player; hence lookie-loos, flakes, and no-shows.

You'll connect with someone though because all you need is one buyer right now and that is a spectacular piece.

Best Regards,

Daniel P.

The thing is these are used cars and people who drive used cars unless they are Jay Leno do not have alot of money to spend on parts and whatnot.

My first car was used. My last car was used. I don't own a new car.

My first car had a license plate frame that said the following, and it still applies today:

"I drive this because I want to, not because I have to!"

And I ain't Jay Leno. The less I spend on a canvas, the more I can spend on paint, brushes, and content. Many of the masters painted over their own paintings to save on the canvas costs. Their work endures. There were plenty of aristocrats of the same era that fancied themselves artists that painted profusely, each on a new canvas. Their work usually ended up keeping some of the servants warm in a fireplace somewhere in the castle eventually.

You're just looking at it the wrong way!