Mercedes diesel in 240z

chris556452

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can have the stock mercedes IP modified for more fuel.

I know, but at a certain point, it's a common modification (if you're requiring it) to go to a larger 9-13L diesel mercedes IP as they used that similar style of IP in a whole bunch of larger diesels in eurpoe.

My questions was whether or not Scott could use a MBZ IP to fuel his LD28T expedition...

I know, but at a certain point, it's a common modification (if you're requiring it) to go to a larger 9-13L diesel mercedes IP as they used that similar style of IP in a whole bunch of larger diesels in eurpoe.

My questions was whether or not Scott could use a MBZ IP to fuel his LD28T expedition...

I was referring to when you mentioned the black smoke cloud in the video.

But anyways, I am not sure about a Mercedes IP on an LD28, but I was working on putting a mechanical Cummins 5.9 pump onto an LD28.

Yeah. I asked since I went to the JY and saw literally 3-4 OM603 powered cars with IP's just waiting for the grim reaper to come calling. At the price of a JY pump compared to a newer pump or a Cummins pump, it'd be worth a shot.

Yeah. I asked since I went to the JY and saw literally 3-4 OM603 powered cars with IP's just waiting for the grim reaper to come calling. At the price of a JY pump compared to a newer pump or a Cummins pump, it'd be worth a shot.

I am refering to the Bosch p7100 on 94-98 Cummins. You can usually get the "smaller" pumps for $150 used.

No idea to be honest. That project is annoyingly halted right now for a couple of reasons...

messing around with the IP is actually way down on the list of stuff for me to do. I'm going to get it running well on all the boost it'll make first, then probably modify the stock IP first, run it a few thousand miles, pull it all apart, check for any wierd wear patterns, and if all is good, then start messing with the IP.

As for what can fit...I'm pretty sure almost any not very modern IDI IP pump will work if it's for a six originally.

Oh, and next time I see you online, I'm going to hit you up about turbo selection for the 104s, since Matt has shown me the error of my N/A ways :burnout:

Actually, come to think of it, by the time I get to that point with the LD, I almost might as well start on a MB diesel swap.....hmmmmmm

Considering the success of diesel powered open wheel race cars, I suspect we will see more diesel conversions in the near future. Especially after more donor cars find their way to salvage yards here in the States. I would love to build a diesel powered road course car. It would be a real conversation piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the thing *should* clear. It's mid mounted (the engine mounts are in the center of the motor) and you have to create a second crossmember anyways, but a little notching in the front cross member and I think it'll wedge in there.

I think the thing *should* clear. It's mid mounted (the engine mounts are in the center of the motor) and you have to create a second crossmember anyways, but a little notching in the front cross member and I think it'll wedge in there.

Wouldn't that interfere with the radiator though?

I'm not talking about moving it forward, I want to move it back!. By making a cradle similar to how the SBF guys do or JohnC made for his JZ mounts and slide the motor all the way back, it should fit with a simple notching of the front x-member. It'll be tight, but MBZ designed both the M104 (and the OM60x variants) to be as short as possible. The thing had to fit in spaces that barely held smaller V8's length wise, or as an upgrade from the M102 so it needed to be thin.

I'm not talking about moving it forward, I want to move it back!. By making a cradle similar to how the SBF guys do or JohnC made for his JZ mounts and slide the motor all the way back, it should fit with a simple notching of the front x-member. It'll be tight, but MBZ designed both the M104 (and the OM60x variants) to be as short as possible. The thing had to fit in spaces that barely held smaller V8's length wise, or as an upgrade from the M102 so it needed to be thin.

Woops, I thought you said notch the front of the crossmember. If i can find a cheap diesel mercedes, I might just do it, to drive the car around until I get another motor built.

Woops, I thought you said notch the front of the crossmember. If i can find a cheap diesel mercedes, I might just do it, to drive the car around until I get another motor built.

The OM606 (which is the engine he has) is still a little bit on the pricey side, IMO since it was only mid-late 90's up. The OM603 is the SOHC motor that is substantially cheaper and can be had in practically any W123/4/6 Before 1997ish iirc. You can get those in 3.0 and 3.5L variants, but the earliest motors with #14 heads tended to crack (most have been replaced by now but you should always check) and the non-factory replacement 3.5L have been known to have longevity issues. Both of which should be a non issue by now but figured you should know. Both can be had in turbo variants. For performance issues as well as choosing the right transmission, check out any of the superturbo diesel forums on the web of the diesel section of Peachparts.com.