HybridZ

Using LED's for taillight clusters

RPMS

i was thinking, since wide angle led's are usually more expensive, why not cluster the narrow angle led's in the middle and have the wider angle led's along the perimeter?

Or possibly bend the array of LED's in a convex shape, instead of just flat?

!M!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been working on this project for some time... but paused on it for a while between work and home stuff...

I've fitted 96 Super Bright white LED's into one of my tailight housings. It's incredibly bright. I haven't sealed it up and installed it yet, but bench testing tells me it blows out the stock tailights altogether. Even the viewing angle is fine, because its SO bright, and the stock diffuser actually diffuses a bit of the LED light.

I bought my LED's in packs of 60 off ebay from "Kawa" something. Look up super white LED's or something like that... they were $15 or so for 60 LED's, I bought 240 of them.

I have some of those Superbright Truck LED units I am planning to install in my Z. I have a few images of ideas for the layout

8867st_ra_2red_v2-med.jpg

8867st_ra_2red_v3-med.jpg

What do you think? I will be making a complete custom tail light area for the install of these units. Given that they are so bright I think I could even have a smoke lense cover and still be road legal.

Cheers

Mike

I am not sure pictures would display how well they work.

Well how do you suppose I show you how it turns out? Sheesh... pics is the best I could think of :lol:

I guess I could make a video of them in action... have someone follow me down the road for comparison sake to other tailights.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smokin280ZX

I have seen white L.E.D. lights. I'm not sure whether there are some for automotive use out, but I have a pretty big 4-cell flashlight that I was issued that uses white L.E.D.'s.

Well, now that my car has been rear-ended, and they damaged both of the tailight lenses... I guess its time for me to swap my lights out. I will have to complete the other light assembly and glue the things back together first... then wiring.. etc..

I'll see if I can complete it within the next week... but don't hold your breath.

DSC00949.JPG

DSC00950.JPG

DSC00951.JPG

Now all these pics are from different angles and distances and stuff to kinda show you how some of the light gets diffused, but you can still see the individual LED's from up close. They are very bright... I'm pretty sure they're a bit brighter than the stock taillights are.

This was a bench test just to show you guys my progress.

I also haven't built dividers between the light sections (main, brake, and reverse) yet. I'm divising a plan to do this right now. (you can see the light bleed over in most of the pics)