HybridZ

Oh man...I shouldn't have let my mouse wonder!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was searching for alternatives to doing custom body work this evening and of course ran across the VR engineering site. I have visited before but never seriously considered using one of their products. I clicked on the 'ole Velo Rossa Spyder and of course...fell in love. Luckily my project is at the point where decisions like this aren't rediculus. So now I need to know a few things. First of all...how would this body shape be at high speed (over 150 mph)? It appears to have better aerodynamics than the typical first generation Z but I still wonder if it would act like a bird and take to the air. Having a kit like this would not allow me to modify for downforce so...??? Secondly...has anybody heard of a hardtop available for this kit? Softtop? My spaceframe could be modified to be just as stiff (actually stiffer) to make the HP I'm looking for work with this design so this isn't a concern. Is this all nuts or can I continue on this infatuation for a little while??

SpencZ

MonsterZ (Velo Rossa Spyder???) cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

Guest Anonymous

I am going to a meeting tonight and will talk to the VR Engineering guy who may be there. I do believe that there is a hardtop version of it availible. (I sure hope there is, I want to make a hard top Velo Rossa!)

------------------

Thanks,

Chris McIntyre

agentkane@home.com

Hey SpencZ - John Washington owns VR Engineering and is a great guy so give him a call. Many of the parts for my car came from him.

Sorry, I haven't had mine much over a hundred yet so I don't know how it will handle. It was rock solid at that speed though but at 150 mph you are going to be pushing a lot more air. If you had to, I think you could hide a black airdam way under the nose to keep the air out from under the car and it would be OK.

BTW my car was the March "Car of the Month" over at ZDriver http://www.zdriver.com/ and I did a writeup on the Ferrari GTO if you are interested.

You should do it!

There are a few versions out there that you should consider if you are serious about a glass body .....http://www.thunderranch.com is one......Stable Auto make a model as well, but may be out of business as the owner passed away last November.....last I heard the business was up for sale.

In any event, it's a great looking conversion whether topless or coupe!

• 3 weeks later...

This is the project I am building. I want the roadster or spyder version so the rear tub and open cockpit pieces are coming from John Washington @ VR. And yes, he is a super guy. The front end is tilt, and much preferable to hood/fenders of the others mentioned, but I like the look better, so I'm leaning toward using the front from the new owners of Stable. John says it's been done and should have no fit problems between the two. Stable and Thunderanch both make coupes. VR also has a coupe with a different look. VR also has a fiberglass removable top for the spyder. Many of VR's customers have V8s, and you can buy JTR book from them(A little cheaper than elseware). John washington will put you in touch with a Vela Rossa owner close to you to see one in person, ask all the questions and of course, find out about the aerodynamics. I hope this helps. Convertable tops are available from him also. There are a lot more of these type cars in the southwest and western states, so if you see one and find out any good stuff, let me know. Chicago is not a hotbed for Z Cars or Kits.

[This message has been edited by DennisK (edited April 21, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Dennis...

do you have a web site or phone number for the new owners of Stable Autoworks? I was thinking of buying a kit from them but the owner passed away about a 2 weeks after I talked to him last.

Darth Vader

Not yet-John Washington told me of the change of ownership this last Tuesday, so as soon as I find out I'll post it. He did say they are located in Missouri which makes things better for me here in Chicago!

I found this over at KitCar http://www.kitcar.com/

Bill Cummings the owner of Stable Autoworks in Dallas, died unexpectedly in November after a brief illness. He was 41. Stable Autoworks was the most recent home of the Datsun Z-car-based kits patterned after the 1962-'64 Ferrari 250 GTO.

These cars were first built by Eagle Manufacturing, then by Alpha Design, McBurnie Coachcraft, Blue Ray GT Engineering, and finally by Stable Autoworks. Stable will continue to operate under the direction of Bill's wife, Robin Cummings. Robin will continue to offer parts and kits to support current and future customers. However, Robin is also entertaining offers for the business.

"For more information or technical support, call Robin at 972-712-0625, or John Washington at VR Engineering, 480-967-3289.

It sounds like the sale is going to happen. Although McBurnie changed (fixed actually) the nose all the GTO kits are based on the original design and molds built by Eagle Manufacturing. I don't think anybody changed the door skins or rear clip. The original front end had huge fit problems. The fit between the front of the hood and the nose was almost impossible the get right. McBurnie solved the problem by designing a complete new nose that moved the hood back which now mounted on the radiator support instead of bolts through the fiberglass. The additional glass between the hood and radiator openings stabilized warping in this area and led to a much better fit.

John Washington at VR solved the by taking the old nose/hood mold and making it a one piece tilt unit. BTW John also has the registry of all the GTO kits built.

Either way I still say you should do it.

I have the Thunderanch quote, rec'd earlier this week which is McBurnie. I have only seen pics of his and Stable's cars and the nose looks better to me. Help me understand please, does one of these have a fit problem? As stated John Washington told me Tuesday the sale went thru from Stable to a group from Missouri. I can pickup in Missouri amd not pay shipping from Ca. However quality and fit are more important. Whattya Think?

Sorry if I caused any confusion Dennis. Both kits have had the fit problem fixed but in different ways. McBurnie designed a whole new nose and made a new mold. You can tell a McBurnie by the hood being back farther, small fiberglass cowl panel and a more oval shaped grill opening.

John Washington at VR Engineering made the nose and hood all one piece that tilts. It looks like the original Eagle/Alpha 1 front end with the more squared off grill opening but does not have hood. There is a seam just above the side louvers where the front end joins so the entire front nose can tilt much like a newer Corvette.

Therefore, the Thunderanch kit is more like the original GTO. To be honest, I do not know where McBurnie got his molds from. After Ferrari put him out of business for a while the molds went to Jim Simpson (another great guy) who owned Blue Ray GT Engineering. Jim called the kit a "Rhino" and when he moved to Washington (http://www.simpsondesign.net/) he sold the molds to Bill Cummings at Stable Autoworks. Simpson also added a pair of fiberglass rocker panels that where not included in the original kit. I also bought my replica Ferrari hood hold downs and Nardi steering wheel from Jim Simpson.

Build'em guys, these cars are a blast to drive and you would not believe the attention they get. If you need any help or pointers please let me know.

Thanks for the clear-up. I knew the VR nose was different from the pics, and the Thunderanch and Stable looked different, aside from the tilt vs hood. John from VR told me of Rhino selling to Stable. The hood holdowns seem to be a problem to get as all three have said they do not have 'em. I need two, and would prefer four if you know of someone who has them. The only car I've seen in person is VR's, all the rest have been pics. Any help I can get is really appreciated. Went to your car, it is gorgeous!

[This message has been edited by DennisK (edited April 22, 2000).]

Jim Simpson http://www.simpsondesign.net/ might still make up a couple of sets if you ask him. The workmanship is great and he provides four "pads", two for the hood and two more for the fenders so you don't have to set them down on the paint when you open the hood. Finding headlight cover trim rings is tough too but Jim installed a chrome wheel opening trim on mine that looks great.

BTW, I picked up the leather belts for the hood from Moss Motors http://www.mossmotors.com/

Please post some pics as you are building it so we all can see your progress.