HybridZ

centrifugal z31

BlueZ31

Ive got a setup that i need some help working out. I picked up a Wynjammer supercharger slightly used from a wrecked 350 tbi small block chevy pickup, i looked it up and got a lot of great reviews on it, and it appears to give between 6-8psi of boost. The pulley will work perfectly with the spot setup on the crank for A/C and im already fabricating an adapter to mount it to the blank A/C bracket. Ive also got a 84' and a '88 turbo california ECU and injectors plus MAF and boost sensors. Will the stock turbo ecu and injectors work with a centrifugal supercharger? Theres a white z31 on youtube with a paxton setup and it looks awesome. Which ecu would work on my '87 zx non-w code vg30e?

any input on supercharging the vg30e would be greatly appreciated.

also, dumb question but ive never seen a complete vg30et setup, all the ones ive seen in scrapyards are picked clean, does the turbo boost through the MAF or does it go from compressor side straight to the intake? and is the boost sensor required?

The stock setup is a draw through MAF, but people have run it both draw through and blow through. A car with a mass airflow sensor doesn't measure boost, in a sense, it measures the speed/density of the air passing through it. There is no boost sensor required on a z31, altho it does have one for both the turbocharged cars and the n/a cars with a digital dash.

My input on supercharging a vg30e is to take a pass on it. The amount of work involved is definitely not proportional to the result of it. For the cost of a custom installation (depending on your resources and skill set) would be about the same as a stock turbo swap, depending on price of the supercharger. A stock turbo setup on an n/a engine is good for about 190-200ishwhp with an intake and 3" exhaust on it.

The stock ecu will work, it doesn't care how the engine is receiving air, it just cares how much of it (basically.) You will want to match a turbo ecu up to turbo injectors of the proper year, see the link below for more in depth stuff. You will also need to worry about your o2 sensor depending on which ecu you choose to go with.

The actual engine that the ecu is used for doesn't make a whole lot of difference, just as long as all of the sensors and fuel delivery stuff that are on the engine are correct for that ecu.

linky: http://redz31.net/pages/fuel.html

• 5 weeks later...