HybridZ

Guages...

BLKMGK

Okay, I've not seen a good place to post this so... Swapping in the V8 and T56 I'm going to swap out the stock guages. I figure Autometer 2 5/8ths guages in the right side pods ought to fit but what size for the speedo and tach?

I'd like the 5inch size - will it fit? If I want to mount something other than the in-dash tach will the regular tach fit okay? Would it be hard to mount? At this point I've not even figured out how to pull the stock guages out - is it difficult?

Lastly, I spotted a post here somewhere talking about Carbon Fiber. I'd LOVE to get into this, has anyone checked it out further? Aircraft Spruce and Specialty probably has the materials needed. If you've not got their catalog GET IT! It's free and full of good stuff. A WEB search ought to find their site FWIW. Imagine a dash cover in Carbon fiber or a door panel done this way....

5 inch tach and speedo fit perfect. I'd not call it "Difficult", just a little time consuming, pulling the heater control panel and all the brackets takes all of about 30 minutes for the three center gauge pods, tyhen pulling the speedo and tach are another 30 minutes. I used the painless guage harness kit and it was a snap.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Locutus

The 5 inch speedo and tach are nearly a perfect fit, the 2 5/8 gauges are a little bit small and go thru the dashpod holes on mine. I am also in the process of trying to recover my dash with vinyl. Its not working out like I planned and the results are questionable. The added thickness of the vinyl should be enough to keep them from falling thru on mine. If anyone else has tried this please give me some pointers

Terrific news!! Thanks guys, I was worried I'd have to stick with the 3 3/8ths guages which have a really UGLY thick bezel. I'm also glad to hear that the Painless wiring harness made it easier as I was looking at that myself.

Mike, did you ever swap out that VDO speedo? How's it working out? I'm looking at the Phantom Speedo and tach. I may not go with the tach meant to go in the dash since the features of the others are more attractive. I will still mount it in the dash tho' - I think there's room behind it.

Thanks again guys!

Now, about that carbon fiber :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - more questions on gauges!

Looking closely at the Autometer stuff I'd like a tach with peak memory and a shift light. I CAN find an in-dash Ultra-Lite tach that has a memory but not so in the Phantom and neither has the shift light. I CAN add a Summit peak switch to the Phantom tach (and a light$$) but I'm not sure I like the looks of it - why didn't they mirror the Ultra-lite tach with memory in the Phantom series?! (grumble)

Looking still further I've found a silver SuperComp2 tach - pedestal mount - that has both the thin shift light I want, the memory, and a nice lower 9K limit. My worry is that it won't mount in the dash as nicely as an "in-dash" tach would.

Has anyone tried to put a regular tach into their dash? Any pictures out there of the in-dash or pedestal mount gauges in the Z dash?

I saw SuperDan's postings but found no pictures (waaa!). I'm just about to order my gauges and if a pedestal mount tach works I might even be able to go with the Phantoms I wanted in the first place. Help!

Last but not least - anyone seen the AutoMeter Carbonfiber gauge series in person? The pictures look like crap and a silver needle seems funky but whenever I've seen carbon fiber stuff in person it's looked pretty sweet. Do these AutoMeter gauges look any better in person?

Guest Locutus

Try calling autometer. They may have something thats hard to find or not listed in the catolog, or they may have custom options available. It won't hurt to spend 10 mins on the phone and know for sure.