HybridZ

mirrors????

Drax240z

I want to do this as well. I noticed that Jim Biondo did his 260Z with 96 toyota tercel mirrors, so I'd say those would fit. Also I've seen a 510 with BMW mirrors mounted at the front corner of the side windows too... not too sure how much the Z and the 510 share dimentions there, but I plan on checking that out... And lastly, checked out a ZX at all? I can't remember if they looked like they'd fit or not.

Let me know what you find.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

In an old Hotrod mag article, Jim had told us that it was a Corolla mirror. After a bunch of hunting in the car lots, and sending mirrors back and forth to Thompson Toyota (great guys) I have the 96 Tercel DX mirrors. They look like Jim's but after telling him how they mount to the tercel, it sounds like I still don't have the correct mirror. That's how the correct info got into the later articles, BTW! I worked with Thompson Toyota and Jim on this over the phone. There must be another Tercel mirror that had the simpler mounting that Jim was describing. I figured that Thompson Toyota had done enough and I gave up...

I will have to grind/cut away the cast aluminum mounting bracket so that it is flush with the plastic part that you see from outside. Then a custom mount plate will have to be interfaced with what remains of the mirror mounting bracket and connects to the window frame and lower window trim piece. I haven't attempted this yet.

FWIW, the mirrors I have now are from a 96 Tercel DX, without the remote adjustment on the interior. You adjust them the old fashioned way - thumbs and fingers on the mirror glass!

The part numbers are:

Left side: 87940-16780

Right side: 87910-16780

You can pop the mirror glass out (just gently yank on one end) to get to the screws that hold the mirror bracket to the housing. Looking at that cast aluminum bracket, I think I will ask a machinist friend to mill off the protruding area that would need to come off. I will take pics of this part and post them in a few days.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Guest Anonymous

I have had this topic on mind for some time now. I hate not having 2 rear view mirrors. I work next to a guy that makes aluminum parts for boats. You know, foot pedals for trolling motors and motor braces, etc. He makes the molds and casts the peices and machines and polishes the parts. He machined in the thermal sending unit for my electric fan and you should see what he did to my water jacket with a bead blaster. 25 years old and looked not a day over a month. I just have to make the mold and he will help me out on fabrication of anything I want to attempt. Finding the right mirror glass to use and designing one would be fun. Taking an already made mirror and modify it for the mold to fit properly wouldn't be that hard, but I guess it would be just as easy to modify the original to fit and be done with it. Damn, I hate my new hours. I'm way to tired for this. Sorry guys....

------------------

Might as well.