HybridZ

body delima

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey it is great to see such a terrific site. I have looked at everybodies cars and they look really cool. I have a 76 280 that i am putting a 350 chevy in and a th350 trannie. I am about half way done with it but i am getting ready to paint it. I have it torn down completely without any interior. I really want this to turn out right. I have the motor built and the trannie but i need a rear bumper or maybe not i'm not real sure. i would like to get the fiberglass rear bumper that ARIZONA Z sells but they only sell fiberglass if you buy a $1000.00 worth. They said that i could come and get one there but i live in south georgia on the florida line. A little too far. With all the experience that you all have had do you know anyone else who caries that bumper? I would appreciate any help.

Guest Anonymous

hey thanks for the reply, i have a motorsport book but i never saw the bumpers in it. i will give them a call and order me some. who all lives in atlanta? i would be interested in seeing some other v8Z's in person for i am the only one in the area. everybody here is all wrapped up in camaro's and chevelle's. don't get me wrong i love classic cars but i also love to be different. nothing like the surprise on there face when you blow them off the road in a foreign car. ha ha. i saw on a nother section on here after i posted this about you all talking about the arizona guy. he just doesn't seem to want any business unless you plan on taking out a morgage on the house to order something from him. i have another question though. do you know if the fiberglass bumpers bolt onto the original mountes or do you half to make new one's? well i guess that will do me for now i need to get back to the shop and work on the car some more. i hope to have it done in a couple of months. as soon as i get it back from the body shop. i will be doing the painting but i need my buddies shop to do it in. i use to work for him painting and doing body work so he told me no problem. i still have the L6 and 5 speed trannie from the car and all the fuel injection and you know all the stuff you take out. what did you do with it all. do you sell it or trash it? well gotta go and thanks again. later

I second that. ArizonaZ did the same thing to me and I just happened to mention to the guy at Motorsport that I wished they had 'glas bumpers - and they did! I've got two in a box here now!

Very nice, no nicks in them, smooth, and not twisted that I could see. I've not mounted them on anything yet but intend to down the road - very nice pieces. At the time they cost a little more than Arizona's but at least Motorsport was actually interested in selling them!

I wonder if the guy at Arizona has any idea how many people talk about his poor service?

76 280Z Speeder..., there are a few of us on this site from Georgia. Steve (Swatt5444), Lee (JuJu), and I are from the Atlanta area. Matt (Mattrp)is from Savannah. I think Lee, and Matt's cars are the only ones running right now. Check out "Rides" for our cars.

Mike kZ

Guest Locutus

I have thought about molds for the body parts as well lately, it is something intresting that might make a fun business venture to support my z hobby. I don't have the slightest clue as to where to start making them but I will continue researching.

Mike

Making molds. This is how I've heard it's done:

1) Find a donor car you want to copy and a very trusting and understanding owner.

2) cover the bodywork of the donor with mold release agent.

3) Lay down resin wetted fiberglass mat, roll on more resin, maybe a 1" foam layer, more fiberglass/resin to have a stiff mold.

DON'T mix the resin so that it cures quickly!

Otherwise, you will be buying the donor car a new paint job due to the heat of curing.

(I know a guy that rented a Probe and made molds this way. Too much accelerant in the resin and it bubbled all the paint on the car!)

4) Let the molds cure a long time (since you left some of the accelerant (hardener) out to not have it cure hot/quick.

5) Remove molds. Remove release agent from donor car. Wash and wax the donor car.

Guest Anonymous

that sounds like it would work. i have a spare left and right front fender for my car and i think that i would try it out on that. at least if i get it wrong then oops my junk. what type of resin name brand that is do you think that i ought to try it on? if it works then i will customize the fender to where it has the flares and make a new mold and make me a set of fiberglass flared fenders that way there isn't any chance of cracking on the flare seams. i had a set and i guess the guy didn't put them on right or something but they cracked on the seams where he put them on. you never know with fiberglass the options are endless.

[This message has been edited by 76 280Z speeder (edited July 07, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

hey, well if you want the molds from arizona z then good luck. it seems he barely wants to sell the parts much less the molds. i asked him if he knew an other companies that may be near me and he said no and hung up. what an a%$ h^***!!!! but if you do get lucky with the molds then let me know. i would like to start making some molds my self and giving it a try and see what happens. i use to do body work before i came into the airforce but i haven't ever made a mold yet. any advice on how about doing that? well gotta go the car is calling.