HybridZ

Prospective Engine Transplant - Fiat 1.4L Multiair - Opinions sought!

camerashy

I own an LHD 72 240z, imported from Cali, and I'm presently having the shell restored at a well respected metalshop, floorpans replaced, frame rails, various bits of tinworm, full FIA spec cage to be installed (although relatively irrelevant given it won't be raced historically).

I am looking to create a lightweight occasional trackday-come-tourer something in the same vein as a 911 RSR, or even the 432 but not quite to the extreme of the 432R in having no clock. I've already stockpiled numerous lightweight parts, lexan windows, CF boot/bonnet, fibreglass wings and so on. But what I cannot decide on is engine choice. I'm looking for a car that can happily replicate what it was originally designed to do. i.e. max 130mph, and some half decent acceleration, not an all out power monster. The idea being I could happily go for a hoon around Europe and not go home totally penniless because the car drank fuel.

After alot of reading and discounting various blocks for either weight, fuel consumption, reliability, parts availability, I'm split between two different lumps.

The Fiat 'FIRE' Multiair 1.4L (with the various Abarth ECU tuning packages) which would put out around 200bhp whilst still maintaining an mpg(imp) in the 40's and even up to the 50mpg's at a stretch. (The Diesel multiair is in the 70's!)

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/03/10/fiat-multiair-engine-better-mileage-lower-emissions/

http://xwebforums.org/showthread.php?p=37085&highlight=multiair

http://fiat500usa.blogspot.com/search/label/Fiat%20500%20Abarth

It's small, easy and cheap to service (especially living in Europe) and would make for quite (i think) a neat swap. Certainly future proofing it a little against inevitably higher fuel prices, whilst still being sporty enough to enjoy. However. it is usually a transverse block, with a FWD gearbox, and I haven't been able to find any details of it used longitudinally i.e. in any works application cars. The engine is also being used in the Alfa Romeo Mito, and again, FWD. There is the possibility of using the AWD transmission from a Panda 4x4 although for what it's worth, it'd probably ruin the character of the Z, and plausibly give it some *too* basic transmission features.

I know FWD engines have been dumped into mid-engined cars with tinkering, and I'm happy for some relatively grand engineering to get this transplant to work i.e. bellhousing adapter plates, drift-shaft chopping and changing etc. Question is, is it even possible? Would it be possible to butcher the transfer unit to accept propshaft? or just run one of the normal driveshafts into a further housing with a gear on it?

In an ideal world there would be a straight through RWD gearbox that would link up (even with some adaptation) but so far from my research I can't find anything that would/could or is meant to work. Spent alot of time looking at transfer box setups and so on some rock-crawl build forums but I'm still unsure as to how I'd go about this.

Second option...

good old SR20DET. or even an SR20DE carbed.

I'm almost wanting to lean towards the FIAT just because it's different..isn't that what HybridZ is for? wacky crap like this?

Yep.......Thats out there!

What about a 4 cylinder turbo deisel. From a bmw or maybe a jap pickup/ute. It would save you having to make adapters. I also like the idea of big displacement 4 cylinder from the jap toyota trucks 3.0 lts., easy 200hp and low rev torque for daily driving. Then there is always the supercharged 4age from toyota, I blew away many a v8 in my wifes gen 1 mr2 with minimal mods. These can be easily converted to rwd and turboed to make silly power. They have very good fuel economy when you keep your foot out of it.

Cheers,

Douglas

I'll vote for any turbo diesel 4 banger, especially since you're in the UK.

If you do decide to go "petrol" based, I'd still go with a turbo engine. HP for HP turbo engines almost always use less fuel in street driving since it's a variable pressure system. Note how the non-turbo WRX is rated at the same highway MPG as the turbo WRX, because they're inherently the same engine when the turbo is off boost.

If you're only looking for 200hp or so, you could go as little as a 1 liter engine and still be fine.

Turbo all the way. And in europe, turbodiesel is a much better option than it is in the states. Many more engine choices, and you don't have to deal with CARB sticking particulate filters on every god**** part of the thing.

I'm casting my vote for the Subaru TDI engine. I know it'd basically be impossible to shoehorn into an S30 engine bay, but it'd be so cool.

Other than that, I'd suggest almost any kind of turbodiesel. Sure, you don't have the high revving of a traditional sports car, but when you realize you have 500ft•lbs of torque to throw down, and you're pushing 30psi of boost...

Maybe get the cummins 6.7L turbodiesel from the Ram 3500? :D My dad's got one of those, with the 6 speed manual. Such a blast to drive. I think the engine is taller than a Z car, though. :P