HybridZ

02 C5 Drivetrain Swap into 240z

Well this is my first post on this site and I did my best to search the forum and could'nt find any info on anyone that's done what I'm trying to do.

I have a 02 vette that was wrecked, I have removed the entire "spline" drivetrain from the car with the suspension mounted with it.

My goal is to leave the vette drivetrain as it is with a rear mounted tranny and bolt the whole thing into the Z.(and yes i am prepared to do the fab in my garage just want to know if someone out there can make it easier for me)

Anyone know if someone has been successfull with this? Any links, info, or opinions would be appreciated.

PS: I dont want to bolt a t56 to the engine.....not just yet.

Edited by C5Z
make sure i can spell:)

• Administrators

Please use your shift key, spell checker, grammar checker, and punctuate :wink:

To answer your question, no one on this forum has successfully made use of the C5 trans-axle. If they have, they're being very quiet.

You're going to need one intense BFH and a bit of magic dust to get that transaxle in there. IIRC it has been discussed here before, but the general concensus is that the front of the tranny would probably end up right about where your tookis is planted.

You're going to need one intense BFH and a bit of magic dust to get that transaxle in there. IIRC it has been discussed here before, but the general concensus is that the front of the tranny would probably end up right about where your tookis is planted.

I may be missing something, I've never been under a C5, just in the driver's seat, but why would it be an issue if the drive...shaft....thingy.... were lengthened/shortened?

bjcorvettes09_27.jpg

005lld1.jpg

Is this going into a 240Z or 280Z? The 280Z tranny tunnels are bigger [so I'm told] and might accommodate more 'transaxle.'

There are 2 problems: the C5 drivetrain is too long and too wide for the Z. The length you can cut the torque tube. I've heard someone had successfully shorten the torque tube. For the width you can use monster flares. The difficult part is to fab up the rear frame so that the rear cradle can be bolted to it. Take some pictures of the C5 rear frame so you have an idea of what to do on the Z to create the same mounting points for the cradle. Nothing is impossilbe. GL

I think it's more that the trans is bolted to the diff and that makes it really long, i.e. the front of the trans would be way up in the tunnel. Not sure that it would clear since the seats are right to the sides there.

You've been under a Z though. Is there space to bolt up a T56 in the space just in front of the ring gear area? (Right about where the R200 narrows down to the pinion)

You've been under a Z though. Is there space to bolt up a T56 in the space just in front of the ring gear area? (Right about where the R200 narrows down to the pinion)

I didn't realise I was looking at an auto until I saw the second picture I posted. I guess the whole thing is a bit foreign to me.

I still think it would be possible, it might take some serious fab work, but a Corvette IRS would be sweeet.

I am looking at both a 240z and a 280z and will decide on one of the two in the next week. So I have not gotten to get a good look under a Z just yet. However my corvette is all taken apart and ready to go, from my estimations I would increase the width of the Zcar by 10inches, shortening the torque tube is easy. The only thing I am concerned about is if there is room under the rear of the Z to mount the tranny/diff setup back there, and if i can properly install the vette suspension on to the z car(any known modifications to make c5 suspension fit?).

Hopefully someone has done this before and can make my project that much easier, if not, after I have pulled all my hair out I will do my best to document everything for the next guy.

BTW my vette is an auto just in case that matters

Hard to believe no one has done this before.....

Hard to believe no one has done this before.....

I am just speaking for myself, but an old rhetorical question of my grandfather comes to mind:

"Why build a rocketship when an airplane will do?"

Regardless, sounds like you'll have a unique car when its all said and done.