HybridZ

Megasquirt on 7mgte

s30red240z

• 2 weeks later...

i used to sell the 36-1 bolt on triggers for the 7mgte. im currently getting ready to mod the ms2 box for the stock cps as a 24 +2 trigger and run 3 coil drivers out of the box. going to use the coil drivers to trigger the toyota 6 channel ignitor i have in waste spark. though i beleive the 6 channel ignitor is a positive trigger and i havent looked up how exactly to trigger it properly. waiting on my tax return so i can buy alot of other things i need for the car to go along with this. currently the 6 coils are running from 2 edis6 modules. works, but has problems if you rev over 6500rpm like i do.

i used to sell the 36-1 bolt on triggers for the 7mgte. im currently getting ready to mod the ms2 box for the stock cps as a 24 +2 trigger and run 3 coil drivers out of the box. going to use the coil drivers to trigger the toyota 6 channel ignitor i have in waste spark. though i beleive the 6 channel ignitor is a positive trigger and i havent looked up how exactly to trigger it properly. waiting on my tax return so i can buy alot of other things i need for the car to go along with this. currently the 6 coils are running from 2 edis6 modules. works, but has problems if you rev over 6500rpm like i do.

I would love to see a write up on this, my roommate is looking to do this soon on his MKIII

which part? the 24+2 cps or 3 coil drivers? both have been done before individually, though not sure about together. i figure using the stock cps would be cleaner then my 36-1 trigger setup and i dont feel like making another trigger wheel when i finish my built motor which will have an ati crank damper on it. i already have the 6 coils with the 2 edis modules installed if thats what you meant and that was a piece of cake.

the new code for ms2 has the 24+2 wheel decoder. you take the output from both pickups of the cps and wire them together as 1 wire. 24 teeh for the rotation of the 360 deg. 1 tooth for every 15deg of crank rotation. then the other 2 let the ms2 know where top dead center are. they are 180deg apart from each other as i recall.

so the ms2 can do sequential ignition output? im seeing 6 coil outputs listed. i dont need the idle speed control circuit. all i need is the fast idle for a fast idle solinoid.

edit: heres a thread i found about using the 24/2 cps setup. id go with the lower one.

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=29134&p=194726&hilit=toyota+cps#p194726

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=34220&p=208698&hilit=cps#p208698

For 36-1 trigger wheel, follow DIYAUTOTUNE

Hardware mods required:

• Build the VR conditioner circuit, as described in Step 51 of the MegaManual. All our preassembled Megasquirts with the V3.0 or V3.57 board come with this circuit installed.
  • Jumper TachSelect to VRIN. (V3.57: Set JP1 to the 1-2 position.)
  • Jumper TSEL to VROUT. (V3.57: Set J1 to the 3-4 position.)
  • You may need to adjust the VR trim pots, R52 and R56, when this is installed on a running engine. A usual base setting is to turn them all the way counterclockwise.
  • Jumper IGBTOUT to IGN to send to IGBT ignition coil driver signal out of pin 36 on the DB37. (not needed on a V3.57)
  • Cut out R57 if fitted (This won't be there on my units, though.).

Now for constructing the outputs...

• Get a 330 ohm 1/4w resistor and cut the leads down to about 1/2" at each end. Maybe a bit less.
  • Tin each end of the resistor with a bit of solder.
  • Cut a 5" piece of hookup wire (22ga is fine) and strip just a 1/8" or so. Tin the stripped wire with solder.
  • Melt the tinned wire tip to one end of the tinned 330 ohm resistor tip and let it cool.

msnse_led17-d14_thru_vb921005_small.jpg

• Heatshrink wrap this wire/resistor assembly.

msnse_led17-d14_thru_vb921007_small.jpg

• Use this wire/resistor combo to jumper the 'top' (top as in when you facing the silkscreen side of the PCB, with the text so that you can read it normally) lead of R26 to IGBTIN on the opposite side of the PCB. (On a V3.57, this is kind of tricky. It's easier to use pin 7 on the U1 socket instead.)

msnse_led17-d14_thru_vb921011_small.jpg

• Now, you will be constructing duplicates of this BIP373 circuit for each coil output you need. For a 1 cylinder, you'll use 1 output; for more cylinders, you will use 1 output for every 2 cylinders. You can mount the additional BIP373s on a second heat sink stacked on top of the first, attached on top with long screws. Or you can mount the BIP373s to the case.
  • Each BIP373 will need a resistor-on-a-wire assembly, running to its left leg. You will get the BIP373 input signal from the following locations:

Output Input Location (V3.0) Input Location (V3.57) Spark A Top of R26 U1 pin 7 Spark B Top of R29 U1 pin 8 Spark C Top of R27 U1 pin 9 Spark D JS10 JS11 Spark E JS5 JS5 Spark F JS4 JS4

• The center leg of the BIP373 is its spark output. We have found that the IAC traces can carry enough current for normal use, so you can use one IAC trace for each spark output. You may need to add an extra connector with the V3.0 on 12 cylinder applications, or if you are running a stepper IAC. You can use this pinout if you are not running a stepper IAC, for up to 8 cylinders.

Output Board connection DB37 pin Spark A IGN 36 Spark B IAC2B 31 Spark C IAC2A 29 Spark D IAC1B 27

• Connect the right leg of each BIP373 to a ground, such as the proto area ground or SG pins. It's best if you can find a separate ground for each BIP373.

External wiring:

• Connect the VR sensor to pin 24 and the shielded ground wire.
  • Connect the negative terminals of the coil to the pins specified in the above pinout.

MegaTune settings required:

Under Tach Input / Ignition Settings:

• Set Spark Mode to "Toothed Wheel."
  • Set the trigger angle / offset to 0.
  • Set Ignition Input Capture to "Falling Edge."
  • Set Spark Output to "Going High (Inverted)." Setting this wrong can overheat the BIP373s or damage the coils.
  • Set Number of Coils to "Wasted Spark."
  • Set Spark A output pin to D14.

Under Trigger Wheel Settings:

Some settings are the same for all engines.

• Trigger Wheel Arrangement: Single wheel with missing teeth
  • Trigger Wheel Teeth: 36
  • Missing Teeth: 1
  • Wheel Speed: Crank Wheel

The Tooth #1 Angle setting depends on your number of cylinders.

Number of Cylinders Tooth #1 Angle 1 or 2 80 4 80 6 50 8 40 12 90

Enable dwell control and adjust as needed to match the coils you are using. Set the dwell at a very low value to start with (we've found Ford EDIS coils have especially short dwell times) and increase it slowly. Back it off if the BIP373s become hot to the touch.

• 3 weeks later...

takes g1 and g2, and wire them together as 1 wire, how megasquirt would trigger 7mgte igniter, or megasquirt do that? like this

I feel compelled to tell you that the 7mgte ignitor more than likely will not be usable,

the 7mgte ignitor is a multiplexing unit meaning it accepts a binary signal from the TCCS, not a analog one. 2 wires determine which coil to fire and 1 is when to fire (can't remember what does what) i ended up replacing mine with a tripple channel unit to run my haltech.

the CPS is easy to use, its a standard multitooth 24+1, as said above wire G1 and G2 together

hope ive shed some light on it :)

Edited by paradox616

• 3 weeks later...

interesting, this arrangement is like a 12-1 crank wheel?

yes, but the missing teeth must be 180deg apart from each other for it to work. i was thinking of doing this but the 24+1 is more accurate as its 1 tooth per 15deg instead of 1 tooth per 30deg.

yes, but the missing teeth must be 180deg apart from each other for it to work. i was thinking of doing this but the 24+1 is more accurate as its 1 tooth per 15deg instead of 1 tooth per 30deg.

I'm having a hell of a time getting VEMS to fire these ignition coils. does anyone know the dwell settings required for a 7mgte coil?

i dont know the dwell time but the edis6 module has no issue firing the stock 7mgte coils. what i would recomend is getting the toyota 3 channel ignitor from a is300. then use the coil drivers to fire the ignitor and the ignitor controls the dwell on the coils. id opt for the is300 coils as well if doing this for a cleaner install. im using the 6 coils from a 94-95 camry and will be wiring in the 6 channel ignitor soon when i get time. been busy with other stuff. i have 3 of the corrolla coils that sit on the plug and run a wire to the coresponding cylinder and fire in waste spark like the 7m coils. (1/6, 2/5, 3/4) if your interested. use the same coil connectors but youd need the is300 wires to go with them.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know the dwell time but the edis6 module has no issue firing the stock 7mgte coils. what i would recomend is getting the toyota 3 channel ignitor from a is300. then use the coil drivers to fire the ignitor and the ignitor controls the dwell on the coils. id opt for the is300 coils as well if doing this for a cleaner install. im using the 6 coils from a 94-95 camry and will be wiring in the 6 channel ignitor soon when i get time. been busy with other stuff. i have 3 of the corrolla coils that sit on the plug and run a wire to the coresponding cylinder and fire in waste spark like the 7m coils. (1/6, 2/5, 3/4) if your interested. use the same coil connectors but youd need the is300 wires to go with them.

You're doing it wrong.

I have enough high current drivers to run 6 coils without ignitors. I'm not going to have an extra 4 pounds of electronics under my hood instead of playing guess and check for 40 minutes playing with dwell settings.