HybridZ

S30/RB20 swap motor mounts

5,000 dollors ,I did my entire swap for less than 1500.00 before I started adding stuff. Thats everything engine,trans intercooler and all the intercooler piping I mean everything. That's less than 1500.00 to have it running and driving. The wiring was a breeze. Guys don't let this swap stress you out. It's easy

may I ask where you sourced your parts from?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two engine swaps one came with a 5 spd trans and one with a auto trans. Both for 1300.00 local. The one with the 5spd trans had low compression so I pulled the trans and clutch stuff off and put it on the one with the auto trans and then I parted low compression engine swap out. Now that I think about it I have way less that 1500.00. I got the intercooler off eBay for 58.00. It was brand new 24x12x3 and I made my Intercooler pipes out of 2.5 in exhaust tubing that I got from summit. I bought a walbro fuel pump for 100.00 shipped. I did all the wiring myself. I got all the pinouts and the wiring diagrams and figured out all the wiring while I was flying to my wife's friends wedding. I did all the work myself.

I have been working on cars for a living for over 15 years and I'm a Mazda Master tech /ASE Master tech so this stuff is a breeze for me.

I bought two engine swaps one came with a 5 spd trans and one with a auto trans. Both for 1300.00 local. The one with the 5spd trans had low compression so I pulled the trans and clutch stuff off and put it on the one with the auto trans and then I parted low compression engine swap out. Now that I think about it I have way less that 1500.00. I got the intercooler off eBay for 58.00. It was brand new 24x12x3 and I made my Intercooler pipes out of 2.5 in exhaust tubing that I got from summit. I bought a walbro fuel pump for 100.00 shipped. I did all the wiring myself. I got all the pinouts and the wiring diagrams and figured out all the wiring while I was flying to my wife's friends wedding. I did all the work myself.

I have been working on cars for a living for over 15 years and I'm a Mazda Master tech /ASE Master tech so this stuff is a breeze for me.

The actually engine/trans combo is where I am getting my high prices from. I want to get a good RB25, not RB20 which is much cheaper. You did the oil pan yourself, I'm gonna have to pay you to do it.

I see the rb25 is about 800.00 more than the rb20 when I was looking at doing this swap. A couple years ago I looked into doing this swap and I had people telling me it would cost about 5 grand to do. I said heck no. So a couple years later I looked into it a bit more and found out by doing this swap that it can be done for far less than 5k. Which is great. I'm sure that there are people thinking the samething that this swap cost alot of cash but it doesn't.

I see the rb25 is about 800.00 more than the rb20 when I was looking at doing this swap. A couple years ago I looked into doing this swap and I had people telling me it would cost about 5 grand to do. I said heck no. So a couple years later I looked into it a bit more and found out by doing this swap that it can be done for far less than 5k. Which is great. I'm sure that there are people thinking the samething that this swap cost alot of cash but it doesn't.

You just have to search. Non of these companies spend 2500 on an engine. I had a friend that her dad just sold his r33 gts-t that was a drift car before he bought it for 1,000. I tried to get him to bring it back to the states because he was military but no luck there.

yeah, I found a dealer on Ebay that is reputable, and it comes with the motor/trans cut harness for 800 and then add on mounts and shipping. On a scale of one to ten Im about a 4.5 on my wiring skills, I do sound system intsalls and ive done a bunch of rewiring on my upgrading the dizzy, and some minor things sound wize.

Is nistune a plug and play (with the assistance of a laptop) like megasquirt? if so, wouldn't the wiring be very easy to do?

don't get the one with the cut harness thats a whole different headache. Get a motor swap with a uncut harness.

as for nistune it's AWESOME very easy to install and tune with. I got it from a NIStune dealer off this site. I soldered in the board myself and put the ecu in and had the car running in a few minutes. NIStune is worth every penny and more

here are some pics of the motor mounts and trans mounts. Also here is the wiring info I used for my swap

This link helped me tons on the wiring

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Wiring_a_Silvertop_RB20DET_into_an_R31

there is the wiring diagram

http://www.rbforums.org/pics/rb20.jpg

this helped alittle with the wiring to the tach,neutral switch, and installing the consult cable of the NIStune

http://rbforums.org/pdfs/rb20to95.pdf

here is the workshop manuals

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/rb/

here is the pinout for the ecu

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/1989_-_1994_Nissan_Skyline_RB20DET_ECU

nice nice, how long was the soldering process?

and the whole wiring process itself?

I had my motor and trans in and everything was done but the wiring and I wired it up and had it running in about maybe a hour or less. I had to do the alternator regulator also which was easy also. I hooked up 4 wires to the rb20 loom and had it running. Then I hooked up all the gauges and tach. I used all autometer gauges. The wiring was about 8-10 wires to have it all hooked up then another 5 for the NIStune consult cable.

I had a problem with my coil packs and ignitor. I wired in a ignitor from a z32 and ditched the rb coil packs for a GM wasted spark coil pack and plug wires. Which made it easier to set the timing and was a lot less $$$ than a set of rb coil packs.

I had my motor and trans in and everything was done but the wiring and I wired it up and had it running in about maybe a hour or less. I had to do the alternator regulator also which was easy also. I hooked up 4 wires to the rb20 loom and had it running. Then I hooked up all the gauges and tach. I used all autometer gauges. The wiring was about 8-10 wires to have it all hooked up then another 5 for the NIStune consult cable.

I had a problem with my coil packs and ignitor. I wired in a ignitor from a z32 and ditched the rb coil packs for a GM wasted spark coil pack and plug wires. Which made it easier to set the timing and was a lot less $$$ than a set of rb coil packs.

I know stony made a write up a long time ago but you should write up the wiring and maybe the install with the skyline mounts because stony had it with the 200zr mounts. It would just help with the grinding part and everything.

I used the stock rb20 motor mounts and the stock 280z trans mount. this is a easy swap.

Hey Pat1 i was thinking about the trans mount for the swap im guessing your 280z had the manual in it, so i was just thinking, would the trans mount from the auto/manual 240z be the same? I'm not familiar with this as much as other things and if nissan was smart enough they would've produced the same trans mounts for the auto and manual for production costs but i could be wrong because i do believe manuals are smaller in size.

Hey Pat1 i was thinking about the trans mount for the swap im guessing your 280z had the manual in it, so i was just thinking, would the trans mount from the auto/manual 240z be the same? I'm not familiar with this as much as other things and if nissan was smart enough they would've produced the same trans mounts for the auto and manual for production costs but i could be wrong because i do believe manuals are smaller in size.

They are not the same. Auto transmission is larger. 240z mounts are different. there are 3 different types of mounts as far as I know for the cars, the ears are different from 70-78 but I am not sure on the differences. Oh and sorry for the thread jack but I guess there were others curious about some things as well. If you don't know enough about your stock z yet get to know the z before attempting a swap. I am not sure how old you are or how much experience with cars you have. Keep in mind I am not saying you won't be able to do it or anything, I am just saying do your research, there is more information on here than you think. There is like 9 years + info on here I believe. It would take over a entire week to read everything, then reread it to make sure you read it right so you are sure you are doing it right. Not to mention all the other z car sites and nissan sites and car sites period there are will information on stuff.

Hey ShorkyfairladyZ

My 280z had a manual trans from the start. Are you talking about the mount or the crossmember? I see the manual crossmembers on ebay for cheap all the time so that won't be a problem. I used the stock skyline trans mount (the auto and manual are the same) and modded the mount to the stock 280z crossmember. It was easy I had to drill 2 holes and grind the crossmember down a little. Then it dropped right in.:mrgreen:

They are not the same. Auto transmission is larger. 240z mounts are different. there are 3 different types of mounts as far as I know for the cars, the ears are different from 70-78 but I am not sure on the differences. Oh and sorry for the thread jack but I guess there were others curious about some things as well. If you don't know enough about your stock z yet get to know the z before attempting a swap. I am not sure how old you are or how much experience with cars you have. Keep in mind I am not saying you won't be able to do it or anything, I am just saying do your research, there is more information on here than you think. There is like 9 years + info on here I believe. It would take over a entire week to read everything, then reread it to make sure you read it right so you are sure you are doing it right. Not to mention all the other z car sites and nissan sites and car sites period there are will information on stuff.

Yeah i wouldnt consider myself an auto mechanic but i know enough to do the swap. I'm familiar with my Z only and not the differences between years so that is why i asked. I wont be doing it by my self either i've got a friend that has done ka24 and sr20 swaps and hes going to be helping me with this.