HybridZ

S30/RB20 swap motor mounts

Hey ShorkyfairladyZ

My 280z had a manual trans from the start. Are you talking about the mount or the crossmember? I see the manual crossmembers on ebay for cheap all the time so that won't be a problem. I used the stock skyline trans mount (the auto and manual are the same) and modded the mount to the stock 280z crossmember. It was easy I had to drill 2 holes and grind the crossmember down a little. Then it dropped right in.:mrgreen:

Oh ok that makes alot more sense.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i wouldnt consider myself an auto mechanic but i know enough to do the swap. I'm familiar with my Z only and not the differences between years so that is why i asked. I wont be doing it by my self either i've got a friend that has done ka24 and sr20 swaps and hes going to be helping me with this.

Ok, sounds like you are on the right track. I am only 17, but I do have a job, I have experience working on car. I know your thinking how much experience can you have if your only 17 but I have been working on cars since I was like 12 or 13. My dad has had a sprint car since I was 10 and I have helped him with it since he had it pretty much. I haven't done an engine swap before but I have learned A LOT on almost every swap possible. I will be doing either an RB, SR, or L28et swap sometimes within the next year if I ever stop spending my money on crap I don't need IE a seat and other crap I don't need.

Ok, sounds like you are on the right track. I am only 17, but I do have a job, I have experience working on car. I know your thinking how much experience can you have if your only 17 but I have been working on cars since I was like 12 or 13. My dad has had a sprint car since I was 10 and I have helped him with it since he had it pretty much. I haven't done an engine swap before but I have learned A LOT on almost every swap possible. I will be doing either an RB, SR, or L28et swap sometimes within the next year if I ever stop spending my money on crap I don't need IE a seat and other crap I don't need.

I had my 9 year old son helping me do my swap. Man, he schooled me. That boy had the biggest grin on his face when he was helping me. He just jumped right in. It was a great time. I want to do another swap.

Yeah i'm 17 as well and i've learned most of my knowledge from my dad. I find my auto class at school a joke. I got my Z from my uncle after it sat for 15 20ish years in his garage so i got it back to running condition about 2 years ago and i just find the dual carbs and the L24 to be too unreliable for me and too expensive to upgrade.

before I put the rb in mine I had a 3.0 stroker with all the go fast stuff. I spent 4700.00 building that motor. I built it back in 1999 when the was not info on building it as you find today. I researched on building that motor for over a year. I can tell you this it's nice to have fuel injection now LOL. Just get in and turn the key and haul a$$

Yeah i'm 17 as well and i've learned most of my knowledge from my dad. I find my auto class at school a joke. I got my Z from my uncle after it sat for 15 20ish years in his garage so i got it back to running condition about 2 years ago and i just find the dual carbs and the L24 to be too unreliable for me and too expensive to upgrade.

haha Im 17 as well now. And Auto class is most definatly a joke, we rebuilt a 4 stroke motor in a month and it took the whole semester for the other groups to build theirs.

--->Pat1 : Yeah, Fuel injection is reliable :rolleyesg ... haha sometimes.

Do any dynoing yet? or is it just a stock silver top?

I had my 9 year old son helping me do my swap. Man, he schooled me. That boy had the biggest grin on his face when he was helping me. He just jumped right in. It was a great time. I want to do another swap.

THAT'S GREAT! Glad to see people have their family involved, great thing for father son bonding too. I love working on cars, it can get very frustrating but I just love it. I always have, I love the sound, I love the smell, hot burning rubber and methanol is the best smell ever. Mix in a little bit of dirt flying through the air and you got a great dirt track race going on! I am a firm believer in the best way to learn is to do, you can ask as many questions as you want, read as much as you want, no question it will help but getting in there and going for it will help you learn a lot. Making mistakes is the same way, just like learning to drive, go to a track or an empty parking lot with minimal to no poles to hit, spin out a few times. You will get better. EXPERIENCE

I know how what its like lol. My Acura starts up every time. I can sit there turning the Z over for a good 5 minutes sometimes.

that's the truth. It sometimes took forever to start that s.o.b when it was cold. And thats when it was in the garage at a chilling 60 degrees LOL .

haha, I can crank for like 40 seconds before the fuel injection will give enough gas to fire up in the cold... Cant wait to take off the cold start and emissions. The stock 280z fuel injection is rudimentary and kinda sucks! But an RB is different. Coil packs and its been more developed. I bet the RB swap is cheaper and makes easily the same power as a 3.0 stroker. as far as I know an LD28 crank, 240z rods, and 280z forged pistons and you have a 3.1?

haha Im 17 as well now. And Auto class is most definatly a joke, we rebuilt a 4 stroke motor in a month and it took the whole semester for the other groups to build theirs.

--->Pat1 : Yeah, Fuel injection is reliable :rolleyesg ... haha sometimes.

Do any dynoing yet? or is it just a stock silver top?

I took shop class in high school for 4 years I loved that class. I didn't learn anything but welding.

I went to tech school at one of the best tech schools in GA. I thought I knew everything until I started working at a dealer. I leasrned more at the dealer in 3 months than in 3 years of tech school.

I haven't dynoed it yet still messing around with it. Its a silver top with a rb25 turbo. The thing flys. I also have a 92 300zxtt with about 470-480 hp to the wheels.that thing scares me.

haha, I can crank for like 40 seconds before the fuel injection will give enough gas to fire up in the cold... Cant wait to take off the cold start and emissions. The stock 280z fuel injection is rudimentary and kinda sucks! But an RB is different. Coil packs and its been more developed. I bet the RB swap is cheaper and makes easily the same power as a 3.0 stroker. as far as I know an LD28 crank, 240z rods, and 280z forged pistons and you have a 3.1?

that rb kills that stroker. The stroker had a killer torque curve though. The rb is more fun but I love turbos

yeah took me a good 25 minutes to get it running last. but then again it was 35ish degrees

My '76 had that problem. It didn't matter what the temp was outside. If the car sat for more than a few hours, I would have to crank quite awhile before it would fire up. Found out there is a check valve back by the tank. It is meant to keep the fuel line pressurized, so you don't have to crank and push fuel back up to the injectors. Not sure if that's your problem, but it happened to me. Just a thought.

don't get the one with the cut harness thats a whole different headache. Get a motor swap with a uncut harness.

as for nistune it's AWESOME very easy to install and tune with. I got it from a NIStune dealer off this site. I soldered in the board myself and put the ecu in and had the car running in a few minutes. NIStune is worth every penny and more

Did you get NisTune from me or someone else?

Thanks

-Andy

Did you get my pm about the RB20 pans?

I am glad you have had good results with Nistune.

I have a 73 that will soon have a RB20 under the hood. I too purchased two RB's really cheap and I am gonna put the two together to make one good running motor. I have a HX35 for it as well. I will let you know how it goes.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...