HybridZ
ShorkyFairladyZ

S30/RB20 swap motor mounts

Two80z4me    2
I see the rb25 is about 800.00 more than the rb20 when I was looking at doing this swap. A couple years ago I looked into doing this swap and I had people telling me it would cost about 5 grand to do. I said heck no. So a couple years later I looked into it a bit more and found out by doing this swap that it can be done for far less than 5k. Which is great. I'm sure that there are people thinking the samething that this swap cost alot of cash but it doesn't.

yeah, I found a dealer on Ebay that is reputable, and it comes with the motor/trans cut harness for 800 and then add on mounts and shipping. On a scale of one to ten Im about a 4.5 on my wiring skills, I do sound system intsalls and ive done a bunch of rewiring on my upgrading the dizzy, and some minor things sound wize.

Is nistune a plug and play (with the assistance of a laptop) like megasquirt? if so, wouldn't the wiring be very easy to do?

pat1    31

don't get the one with the cut harness thats a whole different headache. Get a motor swap with a uncut harness.

as for nistune it's AWESOME very easy to install and tune with. I got it from a NIStune dealer off this site. I soldered in the board myself and put the ecu in and had the car running in a few minutes. NIStune is worth every penny and more

pat1    31

here are some pics of the motor mounts and trans mounts. Also here is the wiring info I used for my swap

This link helped me tons on the wiring

http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?title=Wiring_a_Silvertop_RB20DET_into_an_R31

there is the wiring diagram

http://www.rbforums.org/pics/rb20.jpg

this helped alittle with the wiring to the tach,neutral switch, and installing the consult cable of the NIStune

http://rbforums.org/pdfs/rb20to95.pdf

here is the workshop manuals

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/rb/

here is the pinout for the ecu

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/1989_-_1994_Nissan_Skyline_RB20DET_ECU

pat1    31
pat1    31
nice nice, how long was the soldering process?

and the whole wiring process itself?

I had my motor and trans in and everything was done but the wiring and I wired it up and had it running in about maybe a hour or less. I had to do the alternator regulator also which was easy also. I hooked up 4 wires to the rb20 loom and had it running. Then I hooked up all the gauges and tach. I used all autometer gauges. The wiring was about 8-10 wires to have it all hooked up then another 5 for the NIStune consult cable.

I had a problem with my coil packs and ignitor. I wired in a ignitor from a z32 and ditched the rb coil packs for a GM wasted spark coil pack and plug wires. Which made it easier to set the timing and was a lot less $$$ than a set of rb coil packs.

ModernS30    11
I had my motor and trans in and everything was done but the wiring and I wired it up and had it running in about maybe a hour or less. I had to do the alternator regulator also which was easy also. I hooked up 4 wires to the rb20 loom and had it running. Then I hooked up all the gauges and tach. I used all autometer gauges. The wiring was about 8-10 wires to have it all hooked up then another 5 for the NIStune consult cable.

I had a problem with my coil packs and ignitor. I wired in a ignitor from a z32 and ditched the rb coil packs for a GM wasted spark coil pack and plug wires. Which made it easier to set the timing and was a lot less $$$ than a set of rb coil packs.

I know stony made a write up a long time ago but you should write up the wiring and maybe the install with the skyline mounts because stony had it with the 200zr mounts. It would just help with the grinding part and everything.

I used the stock rb20 motor mounts and the stock 280z trans mount. this is a easy swap.

Hey Pat1 i was thinking about the trans mount for the swap im guessing your 280z had the manual in it, so i was just thinking, would the trans mount from the auto/manual 240z be the same? I'm not familiar with this as much as other things and if nissan was smart enough they would've produced the same trans mounts for the auto and manual for production costs but i could be wrong because i do believe manuals are smaller in size.

ModernS30    11
Hey Pat1 i was thinking about the trans mount for the swap im guessing your 280z had the manual in it, so i was just thinking, would the trans mount from the auto/manual 240z be the same? I'm not familiar with this as much as other things and if nissan was smart enough they would've produced the same trans mounts for the auto and manual for production costs but i could be wrong because i do believe manuals are smaller in size.

They are not the same. Auto transmission is larger. 240z mounts are different. there are 3 different types of mounts as far as I know for the cars, the ears are different from 70-78 but I am not sure on the differences. Oh and sorry for the thread jack but I guess there were others curious about some things as well. If you don't know enough about your stock z yet get to know the z before attempting a swap. I am not sure how old you are or how much experience with cars you have. Keep in mind I am not saying you won't be able to do it or anything, I am just saying do your research, there is more information on here than you think. There is like 9 years + info on here I believe. It would take over a entire week to read everything, then reread it to make sure you read it right so you are sure you are doing it right. Not to mention all the other z car sites and nissan sites and car sites period there are will information on stuff.

pat1    31

Hey ShorkyfairladyZ

My 280z had a manual trans from the start. Are you talking about the mount or the crossmember? I see the manual crossmembers on ebay for cheap all the time so that won't be a problem. I used the stock skyline trans mount (the auto and manual are the same) and modded the mount to the stock 280z crossmember. It was easy I had to drill 2 holes and grind the crossmember down a little. Then it dropped right in.:mrgreen:

They are not the same. Auto transmission is larger. 240z mounts are different. there are 3 different types of mounts as far as I know for the cars, the ears are different from 70-78 but I am not sure on the differences. Oh and sorry for the thread jack but I guess there were others curious about some things as well. If you don't know enough about your stock z yet get to know the z before attempting a swap. I am not sure how old you are or how much experience with cars you have. Keep in mind I am not saying you won't be able to do it or anything, I am just saying do your research, there is more information on here than you think. There is like 9 years + info on here I believe. It would take over a entire week to read everything, then reread it to make sure you read it right so you are sure you are doing it right. Not to mention all the other z car sites and nissan sites and car sites period there are will information on stuff.

Yeah i wouldnt consider myself an auto mechanic but i know enough to do the swap. I'm familiar with my Z only and not the differences between years so that is why i asked. I wont be doing it by my self either i've got a friend that has done ka24 and sr20 swaps and hes going to be helping me with this.

Hey ShorkyfairladyZ

My 280z had a manual trans from the start. Are you talking about the mount or the crossmember? I see the manual crossmembers on ebay for cheap all the time so that won't be a problem. I used the stock skyline trans mount (the auto and manual are the same) and modded the mount to the stock 280z crossmember. It was easy I had to drill 2 holes and grind the crossmember down a little. Then it dropped right in.:mrgreen:

Oh ok that makes alot more sense.

ModernS30    11
Yeah i wouldnt consider myself an auto mechanic but i know enough to do the swap. I'm familiar with my Z only and not the differences between years so that is why i asked. I wont be doing it by my self either i've got a friend that has done ka24 and sr20 swaps and hes going to be helping me with this.

Ok, sounds like you are on the right track. I am only 17, but I do have a job, I have experience working on car. I know your thinking how much experience can you have if your only 17 but I have been working on cars since I was like 12 or 13. My dad has had a sprint car since I was 10 and I have helped him with it since he had it pretty much. I haven't done an engine swap before but I have learned A LOT on almost every swap possible. I will be doing either an RB, SR, or L28et swap sometimes within the next year if I ever stop spending my money on crap I don't need IE a seat and other crap I don't need.

pat1    31
Ok, sounds like you are on the right track. I am only 17, but I do have a job, I have experience working on car. I know your thinking how much experience can you have if your only 17 but I have been working on cars since I was like 12 or 13. My dad has had a sprint car since I was 10 and I have helped him with it since he had it pretty much. I haven't done an engine swap before but I have learned A LOT on almost every swap possible. I will be doing either an RB, SR, or L28et swap sometimes within the next year if I ever stop spending my money on crap I don't need IE a seat and other crap I don't need.

I had my 9 year old son helping me do my swap. Man, he schooled me. That boy had the biggest grin on his face when he was helping me. He just jumped right in. It was a great time. I want to do another swap.

Yeah i'm 17 as well and i've learned most of my knowledge from my dad. I find my auto class at school a joke. I got my Z from my uncle after it sat for 15 20ish years in his garage so i got it back to running condition about 2 years ago and i just find the dual carbs and the L24 to be too unreliable for me and too expensive to upgrade.

pat1    31

before I put the rb in mine I had a 3.0 stroker with all the go fast stuff. I spent 4700.00 building that motor. I built it back in 1999 when the was not info on building it as you find today. I researched on building that motor for over a year. I can tell you this it's nice to have fuel injection now LOL. Just get in and turn the key and haul a$$

Two80z4me    2
Yeah i'm 17 as well and i've learned most of my knowledge from my dad. I find my auto class at school a joke. I got my Z from my uncle after it sat for 15 20ish years in his garage so i got it back to running condition about 2 years ago and i just find the dual carbs and the L24 to be too unreliable for me and too expensive to upgrade.

haha Im 17 as well now. And Auto class is most definatly a joke, we rebuilt a 4 stroke motor in a month and it took the whole semester for the other groups to build theirs.

--->Pat1 : Yeah, Fuel injection is reliable :rolleyesg ... haha sometimes.

Do any dynoing yet? or is it just a stock silver top?

ModernS30    11
I had my 9 year old son helping me do my swap. Man, he schooled me. That boy had the biggest grin on his face when he was helping me. He just jumped right in. It was a great time. I want to do another swap.

THAT'S GREAT! Glad to see people have their family involved, great thing for father son bonding too. I love working on cars, it can get very frustrating but I just love it. I always have, I love the sound, I love the smell, hot burning rubber and methanol is the best smell ever. Mix in a little bit of dirt flying through the air and you got a great dirt track race going on! I am a firm believer in the best way to learn is to do, you can ask as many questions as you want, read as much as you want, no question it will help but getting in there and going for it will help you learn a lot. Making mistakes is the same way, just like learning to drive, go to a track or an empty parking lot with minimal to no poles to hit, spin out a few times. You will get better. EXPERIENCE

pat1    31
I know how what its like lol. My Acura starts up every time. I can sit there turning the Z over for a good 5 minutes sometimes.

that's the truth. It sometimes took forever to start that s.o.b when it was cold. And thats when it was in the garage at a chilling 60 degrees LOL .