HybridZ
ShorkyFairladyZ

S30/RB20 swap motor mounts

ModernS30    11

haha, I can crank for like 40 seconds before the fuel injection will give enough gas to fire up in the cold... Cant wait to take off the cold start and emissions. The stock 280z fuel injection is rudimentary and kinda sucks! But an RB is different. Coil packs and its been more developed. I bet the RB swap is cheaper and makes easily the same power as a 3.0 stroker. as far as I know an LD28 crank, 240z rods, and 280z forged pistons and you have a 3.1?

pat1    31
haha Im 17 as well now. And Auto class is most definatly a joke, we rebuilt a 4 stroke motor in a month and it took the whole semester for the other groups to build theirs.

--->Pat1 : Yeah, Fuel injection is reliable :rolleyesg ... haha sometimes.

Do any dynoing yet? or is it just a stock silver top?

I took shop class in high school for 4 years I loved that class. I didn't learn anything but welding.

I went to tech school at one of the best tech schools in GA. I thought I knew everything until I started working at a dealer. I leasrned more at the dealer in 3 months than in 3 years of tech school.

I haven't dynoed it yet still messing around with it. Its a silver top with a rb25 turbo. The thing flys. I also have a 92 300zxtt with about 470-480 hp to the wheels.that thing scares me.

pat1    31
haha, I can crank for like 40 seconds before the fuel injection will give enough gas to fire up in the cold... Cant wait to take off the cold start and emissions. The stock 280z fuel injection is rudimentary and kinda sucks! But an RB is different. Coil packs and its been more developed. I bet the RB swap is cheaper and makes easily the same power as a 3.0 stroker. as far as I know an LD28 crank, 240z rods, and 280z forged pistons and you have a 3.1?

that rb kills that stroker. The stroker had a killer torque curve though. The rb is more fun but I love turbos

leftover z    2
yeah took me a good 25 minutes to get it running last. but then again it was 35ish degrees

My '76 had that problem. It didn't matter what the temp was outside. If the car sat for more than a few hours, I would have to crank quite awhile before it would fire up. Found out there is a check valve back by the tank. It is meant to keep the fuel line pressurized, so you don't have to crank and push fuel back up to the injectors. Not sure if that's your problem, but it happened to me. Just a thought.

Xylemer    11
don't get the one with the cut harness thats a whole different headache. Get a motor swap with a uncut harness.

as for nistune it's AWESOME very easy to install and tune with. I got it from a NIStune dealer off this site. I soldered in the board myself and put the ecu in and had the car running in a few minutes. NIStune is worth every penny and more

Did you get NisTune from me or someone else?

Thanks

-Andy

Xylemer    11

Did you get my pm about the RB20 pans?

I am glad you have had good results with Nistune.

I have a 73 that will soon have a RB20 under the hood. I too purchased two RB's really cheap and I am gonna put the two together to make one good running motor. I have a HX35 for it as well. I will let you know how it goes.

Yes I used the stock rb20 mounts. I had to slot the holes in the s30 cradle a little foward (about 1/4 inch). This swap is easy. And it runs like a beast. I have a rb25 turbo, 440 injectors and NIStune to tune the ecu. I think I'm going to put a holset hx35 on it to see how that runs.

Wow! Happy I found this! I have been searching through the forums all morning trying to decide which mounts to use. I read a couple people saying that they weren't sure if the rb mounts could be used but I'm extremely happy you cleared this all up! I just pulled the engine out of my 280z and I'm putting together my list as to what parts I need to purchase for the rb20det swap and this saves me a lot of trouble and money :D . Thanks again Pat! Also if you're still making those rear sump oil pans I will definitely be contacting you to purchase one within the next month or so! All the aftermarket ones I have seen go for crazy money.