HybridZ

Someone explain lug stud vs lug hole sizing!

Please. I've been Googling up the wazoo and I can't come up with anything. If I have a wheel designed for a bigger lug stud than the 300zx z31 studs (like for a Jeep) do I just drop it over the studs and tighten down the lugs, do the conical seat lugs seat a wheel enough to be safe or do I somehow have to get exactly the same hole size as stud size?

What does 1/2 RH and 12mmx1.25 mean exactly?

If they're shank style lug nuts where they have a straight cylindrical section that slides into the wheel you need the shank to fit the wheel correctly. I believe for most common lugs (like 12mm x 1.25) they use 5/8" shanks. If the wheels you have use "acorn" style lug nuts where the taper of the nut centers the wheel, then you need to have the same taper on the wheel and nut. I think most use 60 degree, but some like Diamond Racing Wheels use 45 degree taper if I recall correctly.

RH = right hand thread. Some old Mopars used LH threads on one side of the car and RH on the other, so the motion of the wheel would be opposite of the threads and the wheels would be less likely to come loose.

1/2 = 1/2" I would guess, but not really enough info there to be sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing

12mm is the diameter of the stud, 1.25 is the thread pitch. This is the size stud used for the 240Z and many other vehicles.

Not sure this will help you out any but, I've changed out my stock 12mm studs to 3" long 1/2" (12.7mm) studs to accommdate custom spacers and -35mm offset wheels intended for 12mm studs. the wheels fit over the studs without issue.....however, there is less clearance between the studs and wheel stud holes. The wheels I speak of are manufactured by Aldstadt and are 17"x8" (f) & 17"x9" ® both with -35mm offset.

Tom