HybridZ

L28et is it expensive to mod?

dice

If your asking the questions like how expensive is it going to be to get x hp. Perhaps you should make sure you're capable of handling a car as light as a Z with x hp before you get there. ;)

But echoing sparks, the RB will be cheaper. How you get to those 500 horses is going to tell you how reliable each will be.

How you get to those 500 horses is going to tell you how reliable each will be.

Agreed... Although really... I would say they are both going to cost the same... with all the custom work youll need for an rb, youll already have a l series installed outperforming it.

the last time I dyno'd my turbo Z was more than 10 years ago.

I made 404whp at 15psi. Custom headers, custom intake etc....

with all the new turbos nowadays, I think I can make 460whp on pump fuel (91 octane).

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the L28et is going to need some work to become mildly reliable (since it's almost 30 years old now), but you'd want to replace the efi system completely as a first step, and add turbo pressure such that you aren't detonating on whatever fuel you're going to use. Replacing the intake manifold is probably a good idea as well, and the exhaust manifold is a toss-up.

You're going to have a much harder time getting a transmission that bolts up to the l28et to handle 400hp than you will getting the engine to put that kind of power out.

If 400hp is really your goal, a Chevy LS swap will most likely suit your needs the best. If you want a reasonably quick streetcar, get the l28et, replace the efi, and run a little more boost in it. You'd be surprised with what 200whp feels like in these little cars.

You're going to have a much harder time getting a transmission that bolts up to the l28et to handle 400hp than you will getting the engine to put that kind of power out.

300zxtt trans or 240sx trans swap are two popular trannys that hold alot of power, both have been proven to hold 500+. In the end I would say the 300zxtt tranny is better...

Guest Rolling Parts
If 400hp is really your goal, a Chevy LS swap will most likely suit your needs the best...

Agreed, in the States it's much easier to double the cubic inches and get reliable power and torque on-the-cheap. That's probably harder to do in the Philippines. What's available and how much you want to spend will narrow the choices down. Now if you could find a nice Nissan 5.6L V8 from a wrecked Titan....

thanks for the info guys you are really a big help! LS1?? hehe i would love that sadly it's hard to find one here. if i'm going to import it custom taxes would really cost me an arm and leg(if you only knew corruption in our country).:mrgreen:

so the cost of modifying the rb25 and l28et is almost the same? am i right? how bout the l24? how much hp can i get if i modify it? do you also have an idea what's the specs of star roads s30z? http://www.starroad.co.jp/home/fairlady_z/

http://grandmighty.com/2010/01/star-road-240z/comment-page-1/#comment-289

with all the new turbos nowadays, I think I can make 460whp on pump fuel (91 octane).

Hoover - Please let us know more about your car!

Not sure why everyone is so "caught-up" with 400 or 500hp...350-360whp in a Z is wicked faaast.

L28ET is a great motor but it certainly it is no RB

Yasin

Not sure why everyone is so "caught-up" with 400 or 500hp... 350-360whp in a Z is wicked faaast.

Exactly! My old road racing 240Z only had 294 rwhp and it beat lots and lots of 500hp cars around the track.

Edited by johnc

At last, a blast from the past!

"Junior Member" oh those mods are such a clever bunch.

I'm in the same boat, using old 80's turbo technology I was 325-350 when dynoed in 1989 and again in 1991. That was the last time I did it.

And that was using carburettors! With what I have sitting in my shed now, the 'reconstruction' is expected to yield at least as much as Hoover is discussing. The ability of a smaller turbo to flow more air and make the horsepower on a properly ported head is light years ahead from what it was 10-15, oe 20 years ago! (Gads, has it been that long????):shock:

I have to agree with the last couple of posts, in an S30, that 300 real HP is scary fast. It's also at (IMO) the limit of being usefull around a track. More HP will give you straightaway possibilities, but the brakes are not up to that kind of speed envelope for an extended period of time.

I see you mention you are in the PI. That's a big country, are we talking Zamboanga, Metro Manila, or some Abu Sayaaf controlied enclave in some remote island where you are practicing plural marrige and various sundry other things? Corruption in Manila? You don't say... 2,000,000 pesos for a roof on the house and you end up finding out the contractor was using your construction fund to remunerate the local codes enforcement people for other jobs they were 'working through the system'... That's like leaving the immigration stand and they notice you don't have an entry stamp (what was it they stamped then when you came in is your first thought...) Luckily being large and looking capable of eating the average fully grown Pinoy at a single seating with Adobo Sauce, they tend to just stamp my passport and let me be on my way with a 'now you in, now you out!(BIG SMILE)' and the next guy repeats the process...but ends up palming some $ for the priviledge to leave the country.

So, PM me with your mobile number. If you're in Metro Manila I'll probably have a couple of days layover coming and going from Brunei in late March and Mid April (coming on PI Airlines via Manila) so if you have a Fairlady Z, we can meet up and have a Red Horse or two!

Edited by Tony D
Had to mention Red Horse. Gaaaaarrrh, Red Horse....mmmmm!