HybridZ

Seat swap list for s30's

gvincent

Greg, et al-

Finally got around to installing my late 1980's Prelude seats in my late '74 260Z (has the hump in trans tunnel for cat converter). I actually only installed the driver's seat....have not installed the passenger seat because I need that space for my race wheels!

The install probably took a half day. I had to cut, bend, and basically destroy the stock Prelude sliders in order to make them mate with the stock Z sliders (via heavy gauge flat bar and angle iron). Also had to "massage" the trans tunnel hump slightly to get sufficient fore and aft slider movement.

Very happy with the finished product. Although they're over 20 years old, the seat is extremely comfortable and supportive. You can see from the pictures that it has adjustable lumbar support, adjustable side bolster support, "fine" recline tuning, and a recline "Memory" function. These seats are also very light, and they look great. If you're using a 4- or 5-point harness, the shoulder straps thread easily through the headrest posts.

Hope this info helps, and happy motoring to all!

r/John

post-4224-046398400 1302557305_thumb.jpg

post-4224-085934800 1302557316_thumb.jpg

post-4224-030297500 1302557334_thumb.jpg

post-4224-083074400 1302557348_thumb.jpg

post-4224-051129000 1302557368_thumb.jpg

post-4224-064682800 1302557384_thumb.jpg

I have (~2001-2005) Honda S2000 seats installed by the PO; I was not aware of the 'hump' issue and don't beleive it affected the installation. They are a bit tight and rub on the side pillars (primarily due to the shoulder harness clip) when the seats are reclined or slid all the way back.

Very easy install. I cut off the Honda rails, fabricated cross bars from steel flat bar, and bolted onto the stock Z rails. Seat are light, comfortable and supportive.

Like [jhm], the stock 280Z rails were retro-fitted by welding flat-stock cross bars; however, I lost ~1 1/2" of headroom so anyone over 6' would not be comfortable. In fact, if I were to do any track time, I don't think I'd fit with a helmet on and I'm 5'10". On the plus side, they're quite comfortable and have excellent lateral support; the added height gives me a much better field of view and I don't feel like my ass is dragging on the ground (car is lowered).

I will post pics of the modified rails next time I take them out (soon) as I'm doing some work on the car this week.

Good point from misterZ regarding headroom! I lost headroom on my install as well; but I've got a short torso so it did not negatively impact me. In fact, now that I sit a little taller in the seat, I have better visibility for curbs, cones, etc. And I can still comfortably fit in with a helmet on. Someone with a longer torso would definitely have headroom issues in my car.

...I've got a short torso so it did not negatively impact me. In fact, now that I sit a little taller in the seat, I have better visibility for curbs, cones, etc.

Exactly the point I was trying to make `cept I have an average torso but short legs... ha (prolly why jhm can wear a helmet). :wink:

HondaS2000b.jpgHondaS2000a.jpg

Exactly the point I was trying to make `cept I have an average torso but short legs... ha (prolly why jhm can wear a helmet). :wink:

HondaS2000b.jpgHondaS2000a.jpg

Those seats look great!, S2000 seats are still very pricey up in NE area though, I would love to find a deal on them though, they do look nice and look like they belong in there.

The seat front looks a little high though.

Thanks,

Greg

Just wanted to share that I finished installing the Celica seats in my 75 280Z...

The passenger side was VERY easy, but the Drivers side was a total PIA! I would not recommend them for the 280z - probably fine for the 240z...

The 280z required reshaping the bump in the tunnel/floor for the original resonator/cat - definitely not recommended given the other options...

I will say however that they are very comfortable and I like them a lot now that I've gone through the pain of installation.

Had to weld some custom brackets for the drivers seat once the floors/tunnel was finished being reshaped - not worth posting pics because I definitely consider it a one off

Just wanted to share that I finished installing the Celica seats in my 75 280Z...

The passenger side was VERY easy, but the Drivers side was a total PIA! I would not recommend them for the 280z - probably fine for the 240z...

The 280z required reshaping the bump in the tunnel/floor for the original resonator/cat - definitely not recommended given the other options...

I will say however that they are very comfortable and I like them a lot now that I've gone through the pain of installation.

Had to weld some custom brackets for the drivers seat once the floors/tunnel was finished being reshaped - not worth posting pics because I definitely consider it a one off

Not a one off.....take a look at the previous page. I have pics of my driver seat install. In the process of my passenger seat right now.

Edited by padam07

Not a one off.....take a look at the previous page. I have pics of my driver seat install. In the process of my passenger seat right now.

I disagree - what you did (surgery to the floor) was a one off and what I did was also a one off... The point here is that for the 280z there are better options that actually fit without the need for all the modifications to do the Celica seats in a 280z... In a 240Z they fit great from what I hear, but for a 280z with all the options out there, I'll stick to my guns and say, pick a seat that fits better - it will save folks a ton of headaches

Same seats as JHM... Not good shots, but you get the idea. I did not have the same issues mounting them. I used the Prekude brackets. I drilled a new set of holes, added a couple of spacers and installed with new Grade 8 bolts.They do sit very tight in the car between the trans tunnel and scuff plates, but I have full fore-aft movement.

VERY comfortable and plenty of adjustability. Slightly higher in front than stock, but I have a smaller "D" shaped Grant now wheel anyway.

Who knows "long term", but I am happy with them now... Everything is filthy in the car now (body work), but they clean up very nicely.

Tim

post-4001-048831900 1304112425_thumb.jpg

post-4001-053369800 1304112492_thumb.jpg

post-4001-093179800 1304112501_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect

Tim-

They look great! Have to agree with you on the comfort and adjustability...those seats have to be some of the best stock seats ever produced (IMHO). Glad the install went smoothly for you. Still haven't installed the passenger seat on mine because I need that space for my Hoosiers. (I'll probably get around to it sometime next winter.)

I, too, alternate between a round and D-shaped wheel. They D gives me more legroom, but makes for heavier steering at slow speeds.

Thx for sharing your results!

r/John

Thanks John! There was a MINT set of these at the Colorado Springs Pick & Pull yard a couple of weeks ago. Almost bought them, but I have too much crap as it is!

I am having a blast working on this car! LT1 install begins in 2 weeks!

The car is a mess right now! Dash is out and I am refinishing it. Entire interior is changing to gray - you can see some of it on the wheelwell in the pic above and on the A-Pillars below. Carpet is spread all over the place. Seats are back out of the car. Blah, blah, blah...

I am going to leave the dash out until I have the LT1 wiring harness in the car.

Once the dash is in, a couple of good solid weekends and the interior will be looking good!

Here is what it looks like now! :lol::blink::unsure:

post-4001-014034500 1304128406_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guys for all the updates.

I really wish the Admins would let me add all this good info to the first post, oh well....

So it seems that two members experiences with the Celica (Padam07 and KJ280Z) had to either cut out and weld the hump or beat it to death to mount their seats.

The 2001-2005 Honda S2000 seats are beautiful fairly easy to install but watch the height may not be a good fit for tall drivers.

The late 80's Prelude seats fit fairly easily but are hard to come by in good condition but are comfortable.

Keep em coming!

Thanks,

Greg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just picked up some 2001 Celica GT seats from a pick n pull here. Was really hoping to come across some 350Z or S2000 seats but unfortunately had no luck. There was a set of C5 Corvette seats, but they were the wrong color and I didn't want to deal with power seats either. The celica seats I found are a nice black cloth and I'm real happy with how they look. Seem pretty comfortable too. Should be a good replacement for the cheap broken aftermarket seats that are currently in the car. I'm not too worried about the tunnel hump as I have a nice MIG welder that I've been itching to find a use for lately. I'll be sure to post up some pics of the install when I find the time to get around to it.

Anyone with these seats have any input on how high these seats are when mounted? I'm about 6'1" so I want to make sure I have enough head room. Thanks

Just picked up some 2001 Celica GT seats from a pick n pull here. Was really hoping to come across some 350Z or S2000 seats but unfortunately had no luck. There was a set of C5 Corvette seats, but they were the wrong color and I didn't want to deal with power seats either. The celica seats I found are a nice black cloth and I'm real happy with how they look. Seem pretty comfortable too. Should be a good replacement for the cheap broken aftermarket seats that are currently in the car. I'm not too worried about the tunnel hump as I have a nice MIG welder that I've been itching to find a use for lately. I'll be sure to post up some pics of the install when I find the time to get around to it.

Anyone with these seats have any input on how high these seats are when mounted? I'm about 6'1" so I want to make sure I have enough head room. Thanks

I did my best to get the seats as low as possible using the existing celiac sliders. I am 5'10 and I have a few inches between my head and the roof so think you may have some headroom issues unless you use a different set of sliders or cutting an lowering the existing floor braces where seats bolt to.

Thanks Calpoly-Z keep us posted,

Check out Padam07 and KJ280Z they both have done Celica seats but in different ways both are on this thread a page back.

FYI I just measures the Yonaka Samuri racing seats that someone in my town had for sale but they won't fit, they are 19" wide at the bottom rear, we need 18 and they are 22" wide at the shoulder pad and we need 21" max or the door won't shut.

http://www.yonaka.com/Yonaka_Samurai_Cloth_p/ymrs006.htm I could of had them for $300.

Thanks,

Greg

I just did a measurement for you...

From the seat cushion to the headliner it's 36"

You're going to have to make significant modifications to your floors and it would also be advisable to do your exhaust after you put the seats in since you'll be losing a lot of room that was intended for the stock resonator