HybridZ
gvincent

Seat swap list for s30's

gvincent    14

Jozizo and 503Alex,

Yes please post your progress I would really like to keep this thread going and hopefully and admin will tell me how to edit my first post on this thread to keep the list updated.

Chris Stiles and icapture how you making out got any pics and stories to share yet?

Thanks everybody and keep those 280Z seat swaps coming.

Thanks,

Greg

503Alex    0

Jozizo and 503Alex,

Yes please post your progress I would really like to keep this thread going and hopefully and admin will tell me how to edit my first post on this thread to keep the list updated.

Chris Stiles and icapture how you making out got any pics and stories to share yet?

Thanks everybody and keep those 280Z seat swaps coming.

Thanks,

Greg

Definitely will when I get them in. Unfortunately Sparco discontinued the Speed (they still make the Speed 2) and the one that they sent me was Black/Blue (one of the few left). I have changed my order to the Sprint 5, so this will delay the progress a bit.

Nomake Wan    10

1988 Subaru Legacy.

Excuse me for questioning this but as someone who knows a little about those cars, 1990 was the first model year for the Legacy and the earliest production date I know of is in 1989. This would mean the earliest MY Legacy you could've pulled seats from would be a 1990.

Just wanted to clear that up a bit just in case people are scrounging around looking for that ever-rare 1988.

gvincent    14

Any new 280Z seat swaps lately? I am weathering this NE winter and itching to get back to the Z car and thought I would start searching for seats again.Icapture, how did the BMW 325is series seat work out? please send pics. What year 3 series? I found some on Craigslist that I emailed, no year was listed though.

jhm    116

Hey Greg-

Am in the process of swapping out my mid-90's Prelude seats for late-80's Prelude seats....been wanting to do this for a while, and finally found a pair in great shape locally. Will post results soon (with pics, of course!)

Happy motoring.

r/John

padam07    12

TritleZ, there are several threads on the Miata seat swap, do a search.

I came across a nice set of 2002 Toyota Celica Leather seats and I am waiting for the person to respond with dimensions, I know I have the 2000 Celica GT on the list already so I'll post this up once I get an answer. If they seem to fit I''l buy them and document the install.

Thanks,

Greg

I am in the middle of installing 5th gen Celica leather seats right now. I ended up having to cut the hump out and patch it with a concave piece to make it work. I am using the toyota slides to a custom bracket. I just cut all of the brackets off the bottom and welded a nut inside of the track to bolt to the bracket. Currently I only have the driver seat complete but I am working on the passenger now. Here are some pics.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

I used 1/8" plate because you have to cantilever the bracket.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

jhm    116

Greg, et al-

Finally got around to installing my late 1980's Prelude seats in my late '74 260Z (has the hump in trans tunnel for cat converter). I actually only installed the driver's seat....have not installed the passenger seat because I need that space for my race wheels!

The install probably took a half day. I had to cut, bend, and basically destroy the stock Prelude sliders in order to make them mate with the stock Z sliders (via heavy gauge flat bar and angle iron). Also had to "massage" the trans tunnel hump slightly to get sufficient fore and aft slider movement.

Very happy with the finished product. Although they're over 20 years old, the seat is extremely comfortable and supportive. You can see from the pictures that it has adjustable lumbar support, adjustable side bolster support, "fine" recline tuning, and a recline "Memory" function. These seats are also very light, and they look great. If you're using a 4- or 5-point harness, the shoulder straps thread easily through the headrest posts.

Hope this info helps, and happy motoring to all!

r/John

post-4224-046398400 1302557305_thumb.jpg

post-4224-085934800 1302557316_thumb.jpg

post-4224-030297500 1302557334_thumb.jpg

post-4224-083074400 1302557348_thumb.jpg

post-4224-051129000 1302557368_thumb.jpg

post-4224-064682800 1302557384_thumb.jpg

misterZ    10

I have (~2001-2005) Honda S2000 seats installed by the PO; I was not aware of the 'hump' issue and don't beleive it affected the installation. They are a bit tight and rub on the side pillars (primarily due to the shoulder harness clip) when the seats are reclined or slid all the way back.

Very easy install. I cut off the Honda rails, fabricated cross bars from steel flat bar, and bolted onto the stock Z rails. Seat are light, comfortable and supportive.

Like [jhm], the stock 280Z rails were retro-fitted by welding flat-stock cross bars; however, I lost ~1 1/2" of headroom so anyone over 6' would not be comfortable. In fact, if I were to do any track time, I don't think I'd fit with a helmet on and I'm 5'10". On the plus side, they're quite comfortable and have excellent lateral support; the added height gives me a much better field of view and I don't feel like my ass is dragging on the ground (car is lowered).

I will post pics of the modified rails next time I take them out (soon) as I'm doing some work on the car this week.

jhm    116

Good point from misterZ regarding headroom! I lost headroom on my install as well; but I've got a short torso so it did not negatively impact me. In fact, now that I sit a little taller in the seat, I have better visibility for curbs, cones, etc. And I can still comfortably fit in with a helmet on. Someone with a longer torso would definitely have headroom issues in my car.

misterZ    10

...I've got a short torso so it did not negatively impact me. In fact, now that I sit a little taller in the seat, I have better visibility for curbs, cones, etc.

Exactly the point I was trying to make `cept I have an average torso but short legs... ha (prolly why jhm can wear a helmet). :wink:

HondaS2000b.jpgHondaS2000a.jpg

gvincent    14

Exactly the point I was trying to make `cept I have an average torso but short legs... ha (prolly why jhm can wear a helmet). :wink:

HondaS2000b.jpgHondaS2000a.jpg

Those seats look great!, S2000 seats are still very pricey up in NE area though, I would love to find a deal on them though, they do look nice and look like they belong in there.

The seat front looks a little high though.

Thanks,

Greg

kj280z    1

Just wanted to share that I finished installing the Celica seats in my 75 280Z...

The passenger side was VERY easy, but the Drivers side was a total PIA! I would not recommend them for the 280z - probably fine for the 240z...

The 280z required reshaping the bump in the tunnel/floor for the original resonator/cat - definitely not recommended given the other options...

I will say however that they are very comfortable and I like them a lot now that I've gone through the pain of installation.

Had to weld some custom brackets for the drivers seat once the floors/tunnel was finished being reshaped - not worth posting pics because I definitely consider it a one off

padam07    12

Just wanted to share that I finished installing the Celica seats in my 75 280Z...

The passenger side was VERY easy, but the Drivers side was a total PIA! I would not recommend them for the 280z - probably fine for the 240z...

The 280z required reshaping the bump in the tunnel/floor for the original resonator/cat - definitely not recommended given the other options...

I will say however that they are very comfortable and I like them a lot now that I've gone through the pain of installation.

Had to weld some custom brackets for the drivers seat once the floors/tunnel was finished being reshaped - not worth posting pics because I definitely consider it a one off

Not a one off.....take a look at the previous page. I have pics of my driver seat install. In the process of my passenger seat right now.

Edited by padam07

kj280z    1

Not a one off.....take a look at the previous page. I have pics of my driver seat install. In the process of my passenger seat right now.

I disagree - what you did (surgery to the floor) was a one off and what I did was also a one off... The point here is that for the 280z there are better options that actually fit without the need for all the modifications to do the Celica seats in a 280z... In a 240Z they fit great from what I hear, but for a 280z with all the options out there, I'll stick to my guns and say, pick a seat that fits better - it will save folks a ton of headaches

SSuspect    11

Same seats as JHM... Not good shots, but you get the idea. I did not have the same issues mounting them. I used the Prekude brackets. I drilled a new set of holes, added a couple of spacers and installed with new Grade 8 bolts.They do sit very tight in the car between the trans tunnel and scuff plates, but I have full fore-aft movement.

VERY comfortable and plenty of adjustability. Slightly higher in front than stock, but I have a smaller "D" shaped Grant now wheel anyway.

Who knows "long term", but I am happy with them now... Everything is filthy in the car now (body work), but they clean up very nicely.

Tim

post-4001-048831900 1304112425_thumb.jpg

post-4001-053369800 1304112492_thumb.jpg

post-4001-093179800 1304112501_thumb.jpg

Edited by SSuspect