HybridZ

Science related fun facts related to common stuff

woldson

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

How many horned rimmed glasses wearing, floppy disk packing, no girlfriend geeks does it take to post 4 pages of info that matters not in helping each other get their '70's Japanse sport car off the jack stands so they might get a chance to drive around and actually "see" what a girl looks like in person?:willy_nil

at or above Im guessing? to accommodate for drop but Id think itd depend on what your firing too

Aim right at it. The bullet and the brick are equally affected by gravity.

I think that's a tougher question for the person who already shoots a lot, especially skeet. You have to lead a skeet to get the pellets there at the same time that the skeet does, but you don't have to lead a falling object.

How many horned rimmed glasses wearing, floppy disk packing, no girlfriend geeks does it take to post 4 pages of info that matters not in helping each other get their '70's Japanse sport car off the jack stands so they might get a chance to drive around and actually "see" what a girl looks like in person?:willy_nil

says the guy with more of his cars sitting on jack stands than on rubber :lmao:

I've got a question but dont know the answer... If you had a space ship that could travel at the speed of light, and you turned it down just a notch then shined a flash light straight ahead, would you have a light saber?
Thats an interesting question... I dont think you will "see" anything since your eyes are just seeing light reflecting off objects and into your eye. If you pointed your flashlight at a wall that was moving at very close to the speed of light it would take a long time for the light to travel to the wall and then back to your eye, until that happened you would notice no change. You wouldnt see the light propagating along slightly ahead of you unfortunately.

Do we have any astronomers here?

Anyone have an idea why this galaxy looks like it has 4 nuclei?

qso2237_wiyn_big.jpg

I've got a question but dont know the answer... If you had a space ship that could travel at the speed of light, and you turned it down just a notch then shined a flash light straight ahead, would you have a light saber?

If you could get a space ship to c, I'd wonder why you were bothering with a flashlight at all, since you're drive signature would be huge :P

But no, you wouldn't, you would get....a flashlight. Your own perception of light/time/etc wouldn't change, every one else's would.

And this thread makes me glad I got a degree in history...though my wallet doesn't like it so much :/

Let's say you're 200 yards away and want to shoot a falling target, say a brick, where should you aim?

Aim right at it. The bullet and the brick are equally affected by gravity.

Well, no...

If the brick has is already falling (as implied in your original quesiton) when you shoot, the brick has a head start. If its been falling for about 400 feet then its reached its own terminal velocity. In either case it will be falling faster then the bullet shot out of the gun until the gravity accelerates the bullet to its terminal velocity. Drag also affects the terminal velocity with a brick having a drag coefficient of 2.1 and a bullet in a ballistic trajectory having a drag coefficient of .3.

So, I'm will to bet a bunch of money that you're not going to hit the brick if you aim right at it.

Edited by johnc

• Administrators

says the guy with more of his cars sitting on jack stands than on rubber :lmao:

Found and married my gal 21 years ago. :ass:

:lmao:

Well, no...

If the brick has is already falling (as implied in your original quesiton) when you shoot, the brick has a head start. If its been falling for about 400 feet then its reached its own terminal velocity. In either case it will be falling faster then the bullet shot out of the gun until the gravity accelerates the bullet to its terminal velocity. Drag also affects the terminal velocity with a brick having a drag coefficient of 2.1 and a bullet in a ballistic trajectory having a drag coefficient of .3.

So, I'm will to bet a bunch of money that you're not going to hit the brick if you aim right at it.

Also depends on how high the brick was dropped and the height of the gun..

If the gun was 5 ft from the ground and the brick was dropped say 15 ft above the ground, and you shot "upwards" towards the brick...although gravity is affecting the bullet, the bullet is vertically ascending at an angle... so this wouldn't necessarily workout.

But say the gun is 5 ft from the ground shooting parallel with a flat surface hoping to intersect the brick at exactly 5 ft above the ground I could see that gravity would affect both objects in that manner

*did you know that climbers on their attempt to reach Mount Everest stay at middle camp, at 20,000 ft MSL for 5 weeks to acclimate their body to the altitude and produce enough red blood cells?!

*did you know that your body burns calories when consuming iced water, since your body has to "warm" up the water to core temperature?

*did you know that hot, spicy food speeds up your metabolism?

*did you know chocolate contains caffeine?

If the gun was 5 ft from the ground and the brick was dropped say 15 ft above the ground, and you shot "upwards" towards the brick...although gravity is affecting the bullet, the bullet is vertically ascending at an angle... so this wouldn't necessarily workout.

That was my next fun fact. When you're shooting level you have to compensate more for bullet drop than if you're shooting up OR down. This time I'll keep my crappy wording out of it.

http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingtips/upanddownshooting.html