HybridZ

Retro VG33ET Project

260DET

The delay and extra expense the first set of dud pistons has caused is a *****, piston faults were not picked up until the engine was ready for assembly. So everything had to be done again, bores rehoned, all balanced again until it is back to the engine assembly stage for the second time. JE pistons took four weeks as against almost three months for the duds, if I had ordered JE's back in Novemeber last year instead, the car would have been back on the road/track ages ago.

Latest news is the builder should have everything back by the end of next week, assuming no more problems. So people, take care when getting custom pistons.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Engine is back built, yay :D basically the bottom end has been done and the heads fitted. With me to do the rest. Engine pic shows one custom adjustable cam wheel fitted, magnetic ignition sensor mounted behind the L cam wheeel location and the VG30DE oil pump. Other pics show a close up of the ignition sensor and the back of the L cam wheel featuring the trigger for the ignition sensor.

zl870z.jpg

p3bib.jpg

2je8rpd.jpg

Whats needed to get the VG30DE oil pump on the VG33E? How much better does it flow?

See post #5 and follow links. DE pump flows more and is 100% reliable at high revs.

Edited by 260DET

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Seeing the engine is in the artificially lit garage and the camera has decided its flash is not needed, pics are crap. What I will do is a walk around with the video camera in due course so these may be the last still pics. With the front view pic see the chopper disc behind the crank pulley set and the REF sensor which appears as a tube between the alternator and the disc. SYNC setup is behind the left cam pulley, lots of custom work.

post-185-097845400 1311931463_thumb.jpg

post-185-003360700 1311932378_thumb.jpg

Edited by 260DET

• 1 month later...

Hey mate,

I've just started my build on a vg30et and have noticed your in Brisbane too. Do you have a machine shop that you recommend? I'm still in 2 minds on how far to go but so far the head are being machine, ported, polished and flowed with the standard valves being machined to flow better. I've got a set of 440cc injectors and a gt35r turbo. The bottom end is where im stuck. Your post has me captivated and would love to know more!

The engine is going into a 2wd dual cab Navara, hopefully it will turn heads

Any help/knowledge that you could share would be AWESOME!

Mic

• 4 months later...