HybridZ

Retro VG33ET Project

260DET

The motor is out of a JDM El Grand which is a sort of AWD luxury van and have started to pull it to pieces, its supposed to have done 103000 KM. Typically, the coolant was very stale, on the good side the oil was not too bad.

This is going to be a slow project, the present VG30DET engine in the Z is going well at long last so there is no rush. Have some Scat rods and a ARP main stud kit on the way from the USA, its best to spread the purchases over a period of time, doesn't hurt the pocket so much that way.

The power aim is for something like 450 horses at the wheels with heaps of mid range torque and big acceleration from 3500 RPM up, Z is mainly used for time attack type events. Anyway, here is a pic, hope its not too big.

25q63j9.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scat rods and ARP main studs arrived today, thankyou Race Engineering Inc, Florida, for the prompt service and keen price although I was charged $77.50 for shipping when it says $50.85 on the USPS box.

Engine has been pulled down except for the cylinder heads and looks in good condition for my purposes. Very gunky inside and some marks on the cylinder walls, nothing broken though so no problems.

16238n7.jpg

2vsnc6g.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was charged $77.50 for shipping when it says $50.85 on the USPS box.

That is called stealing. Its a very problematic issue on Ebay, and if you bought these from a legitimate company, you can easily get your $27 back. Scan your receipt, take a picture of the USPS box's shipping label, and email it to them, demanding an explanation as to why:

1. They miscalculated

and 2. Why you were not reimbursed your $27 immediately when they found out it was not actually going to be 77.50

It may not be a big deal to any of you guys, but thats really low to me.

Just my $00.02

Good tidings on your build =)

Edited by WanganDevilZ

Thanks for the comment WD, basically US suppliers are great to deal with but most don't understand/care about the cost of shipping. Throw it in a big box and get it out of here sort of thing when often parts could be packed in a smaller box to save on shipping costs.

• 3 months later...

To cut a long story short, this project was going to be canned but I've now decided to go ahead and use a Z32 auto box behind it. So some more parts are on order from the US, get in while the Aussie $ is strong, pics of same when they arrive. Still a long term project, aiming for it all to be ready by easter 2011, unless the VG30DET blows up before then which will accelerate it :)

• 3 months later...

Another change of plans, it's full ahead with this motor to replace the present and problematical VG30DET which has now developed an 'engine out to fix' oil leak. The 33 heads are being done with oversize Ferrea valves, JWT S2 cams, its all with the head bloke who thinks the heads will flow quite well. Forged pistons are on order, one mm oversize only to preserve block strength. Using stock VG30ET exhaust manifolds with an adaptor for the Tial 44mm wastegate welded on, the stock manifolds look nicely designed to me and a lack of space prevents custom three-into-one manifolds so I'm happy with stock.

Thats enough to bump this up :)

• 3 weeks later...

That oil filter mount a JDM thing? 3.3L thing? Me want.

The oil filter adapter thing? It was on my Quest 3.3L. However, it was the long adapter. So it was suggested that I find a shorter one from a 3.3L Pathfinder for it to fit in my Z31. Not sure which ones the other 3.3L's bring.

2rf4fft.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heads are done, pics show the oversize Ferrea valves, Schneider double valve springs and the titanium retainers. Its a milestone, the reassembly has begun :) Z32 crank has been checked out and prepped, its all OK and will take standard bearings. Next week all the relevant bits go to get balanced and the block bored.

2hxty4p.jpg

19lh6c.jpg

Edited by 260DET