HybridZ

Nissan Comp Oil Pan?

z-ya

Watcha need a front-sump for, got a Skyline? They should be fairly easily obtainable, they were in Skylines that way. The older ones had 'hammerhead shark head' kickouts on the sump as well.

MR30 Skyline ('82-'85) L24e

HGC210 ('77-'82 I think) L24 (?)

HGC110 240K ('73-'77) L24 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline#C110

All have front sumps.

Nigel

Edited by Noddle
removed some incorrect information

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MR30 Skyline ('82-'85) L24e

HGC210 ('77-'82 I think) L24 (?)

HGC110 240K ('73-'77) L24 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline#C110

All have front sumps.

also I think the old 240 / 260 C had front sumps as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nissan_vehicles

Nigel

No Nigel, the Cedrics had middle sumps with the dipstick in the rear boss.

• 2 weeks later...

"This is SPARTA"---did a quick handover to another engineer, and hopped a plane to Seoul...

one day, pete, one day...

The Japanese politely told me they will be doing the two weeks worth of work I planned on doing this month at the 'end of april' Yeah, MSA time? I think not, Dreamaru-San!

So that means I will be home in about two weeks (huh, that's what I thought in Sparta...)

So that is the plan. i may have some JeffP torture photos on the phone or on the laptop, maybe those will work. If I can find them... :D

• 3 weeks later...

"This is SPARTA"---did a quick handover to another engineer, and hopped a plane to Seoul...

one day, pete, one day...

The Japanese politely told me they will be doing the two weeks worth of work I planned on doing this month at the 'end of april' Yeah, MSA time? I think not, Dreamaru-San!

So that means I will be home in about two weeks (huh, that's what I thought in Sparta...)

So that is the plan. i may have some JeffP torture photos on the phone or on the laptop, maybe those will work. If I can find them... :D

No problem Tony. It's hanging in my garage, and we've got more than enough work to do on the car before it's first event. When you get a chance. Thanks.

• 9 months later...

Use a single coil with an 81 ZX Dissy, or single coil with a 82/83 ZXT dissy/CAS unit. Firing the coil in-phase with the rotor and tower you want is pretty straightforward. The MS-1 will do that! If it's not boosted, you won't have any issues up well past 8000 with a single coil if you get the bosch turbo unit that nissan and everybody used. Very fast saturation time. It will look like a functioning distributor, because it IS a functioning distributor. But all it will do is point the spark where it needs to go.

Stick a little vent to the intake box on the filtered side so you get air transfer through the cap, and ionization will not be an issue.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, this is a pan I got VERY cheap from yahoo auctions japan a few weeks ago. It's never been used, was in storage and has tiny bits of surface rust on the inside. It looks similar to the pan above, does anyone know who makes these and what the oil capacity will be? Can I use my standard dip stick too?

P.S. Sorry for the almighty thread revival

Thanks, Gareth.

post-12875-057723400 1339759494_thumb.jpg

post-12875-019826300 1339759512_thumb.jpg

post-12875-052462300 1339759529_thumb.jpg

post-12875-033372200 1339759552_thumb.jpg

post-12875-035601100 1339759570_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth. J.

Currently made by Don Oldenburg at DP Racing. Capacity is 8 quarts.

Thanks John.

Probably a stupid question but can I use the stock oil dip stick in this pan, and will I get the correct oil level in the pan using the standard high/low markings on the dip stick?

Dipstick is referenced from the distance from the oil pan flange downwards to operating level.

So "Yes"

But in many applications (like drag racing) they will run stock fill so they don't run up against any windage on the crank from sloshing. VW's were like this with larger sumps---all the oil was in the sump and never came up into the original oil sump area---2.5-5 qts all below "empty line"

But that really isn't the suggested use of this particular pan. There the 8qts will bring you to "the full mark"

Dipstick is referenced from the distance from the oil pan flange downwards to operating level.

So "Yes"

But in many applications (like drag racing) they will run stock fill so they don't run up against any windage on the crank from sloshing. VW's were like this with larger sumps---all the oil was in the sump and never came up into the original oil sump area---2.5-5 qts all below "empty line"

But that really isn't the suggested use of this particular pan. There the 8qts will bring you to "the full mark"

Thanks Tony.

Nice find!

I have the same pan, and you can use it with the stock dip stick after a little bending. On my engine, the low mark puts the oil level just below the windage tray. Don't fill it to the stock fill level! This will defeat the purpose of the windage tray.

Pete

Nice find!

I have the same pan, and you can use it with the stock dip stick after a little bending. On my engine, the low mark puts the oil level just below the windage tray. Don't fill it to the stock fill level! This will defeat the purpose of the windage tray.

Pete

Well... assuming you have an oil cooler, big filter, etc. the actually running oil level with be anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 quarts below what is shown on the dipstick after the car sits for a few minutes. A lot depends on how quickly the oil drains back from the head while the engine is running. Floyd Link told me that at any given moment there's a quart of oil in the oil galleries, head, mains, bearings, pump, etc. while the engine is running.

I just bolted up a similar oil pan on my fresh engine a few weeks ago. It's an older piece but I'm pretty sure it is of the Nissan Comp lineage. When i ran the engine we had leaks everywhere. Turns out the ARP main studs were hitting the pan causing a .030" gap. Couldn't see it with thick Nissan Comp gasket installed. So check the fit up before bolting down if you use the studs.

Thanks one and all, you chaps are a wealth of knowledge. I'm not running an oil cooler yet and not entirely sure if I need one. I only do club sprint track days which usually see no more than 15 laps in a session. Also I just use the stock main bolts so shouldn't have any problems with clearance.

If I understand this correctly 8 quarts will put me at the high mark on the dip stick, which will be above the windage tray when the engine hasn't run, then when the engine is running it'll have about 1 quart in the gallaries, filter etc. This will put me at 7 quarts in the sump which will mean the oil level is on the low mark and thats below the windage tray.

Well... assuming you have an oil cooler, big filter, etc. the actually running oil level with be anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 quarts below what is shown on the dipstick after the car sits for a few minutes. A lot depends on how quickly the oil drains back from the head while the engine is running. Floyd Link told me that at any given moment there's a quart of oil in the oil galleries, head, mains, bearings, pump, etc. while the engine is running.

I've checked the oil right after shutting the engine off, and there is no measurable difference that I can see. Yes, I am running an external filter, cooler, and also using the Nismo oil pump cover with the external pickup from the pan. There is no appreciable drainback that I can see. I think what is important is to check the oil level right after shutting the engine off.

I just bolted up a similar oil pan on my fresh engine a few weeks ago. It's an older piece but I'm pretty sure it is of the Nissan Comp lineage. When i ran the engine we had leaks everywhere. Turns out the ARP main studs were hitting the pan causing a .030" gap. Couldn't see it with thick Nissan Comp gasket installed. So check the fit up before bolting down if you use the studs.

I had the same problem with my build. I ended up just tapping the pan with a ball peen hammer right where the studs were hitting to give clearance.

If I understand this correctly 8 quarts will put me at the high mark on the dip stick, which will be above the windage tray when the engine hasn't run, then when the engine is running it'll have about 1 quart in the gallaries, filter etc. This will put me at 7 quarts in the sump which will mean the oil level is on the low mark and thats below the windage tray.

Again, check the level right after the engine is shut down. This will give you the most accurate reading.

Pete