HybridZ

Some questions on 5.0/AOD swap...+ Z8's mount in college class lol

FiveLitreHeeter

I am swapping a 5.0HO & AOD out of an '87 Lincoln LSC into my '77 280Z. I need to know if the JTR tranny crossmember will work with the AOD & if so what modifications would I need to make? Also, it seems to me there used to be a list on this site somewhere of all the components that needed to be pulled from the donor car for the EFI ect. Once I get to pulling the engine I will have a short window to be sure to get all I need before the car is squished. Anyone know a link to such a list?

Also, I thought this was interesting & worth sharing. I am going to school for welding & one of my classes is blueprint reading. I downloaded & printed a copy of Brian Laines Z8 mount drawings & took them to my instructor to see about having it made. (I know your asking, if your going to school for welding why dont you build it yourself, its complicated but it makes more sense right now to have it built) Well, long story short the instructor ended up putting Brians plans up on the overhead and the class went over it for a good 20-30 minits. It was perfect for illustrating what we were discussing. He zoomed in on the title block and read off who made it, so credit was given.

Just thought it was cool.

-John

well I have never see an AOD, JTR trans mounts and a turbo 400 trans (What the JTR mounts were made for) all sitting next to each other but they have a similar case design. since you already have the mounts and the trans i would just through everything up there and see what you can come up with... I mean you are droping a v-8 into a datsun you shouldn't be scared of a challenge. some times the easiest solutions will appear once you get everything together in one spot. good luck.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but any update? Haha... yeah, two years old. Just got mine 87 4 speed AOD installed using Brian Laine's kit (motor mount as well 302 SBF). Worked well but had to massage the tunnel on the passenger side for the lines to clear. Also had to cut the old mounts completely out and his tranny mount bolts are too short for an 77. Had to grind the old bolts out and buy some new ones at ACE.