HybridZ
Andrew Bayley

Can a rear spoiler reduce exhaust fumes?

This is a really old thread.  But I can tell you that with the window louvers on, my hatch (if not locked down) will open at exactly 80 mph.   That was before adding the spoiler.  I have tested this with the hatch unlocked since adding the spoiler.  No more opening and losing loose papers all over the interstate.

This is a really old thread.  But I can tell you that with the window louvers on, my hatch (if not locked down) will open at exactly 80 mph.   That was before adding the spoiler.  I have tested this with the hatch unlocked since adding the spoiler.  No more opening and losing loose papers all over the interstate.

Added weight of the spoiler at the rear edge of the hatch, or downforce generated by the spoiler, or both?

Dennis

Ha ha, YES!  I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to. I don't think I had my louvers on yet, but I have a set on now.  (No noticeable difference.)

An interesting thing I found out last year is that if you keep your hatch open about 6" you will get air from the back of the car to flow forwards and out the front windows.  I thought it it was a low pressure zone above/behind the hatch that it would draw air from the front windows, and flow out the back, but apparently there's still MORE low pressure by the front windows (coming off the windshield/front of the car).  I don't have fume issues but it was weird to drive on the highway, have the windows and rear hatch open and have no perceptible air movement inside the car.  The flow is low, but enough to create a high pressure pocket inside the car.  You can put your hand 2-3" past the windows before you feel any turbulence again.