HybridZ
240zdan

Anyone interested in coilover conversion kits?

I am working on a coilover conversion kit to adapt s13 megan racing coilovers to a 240z.

The kit I would provide would be both CNC machined and CNC plasma cut, and would allow the do it yourselfer to bolt in s13 coilovers.

There would be no need to purchase anything other than a set of s13 coilovers and my kit. You would retain the front camber plates and front/rear pillowball mounts.

This setup would also provide plenty of suspension travel in lowered vehicles, but still be able to maintain factory droop for non lowered vehicles.

Anyone interested in somethign like this? price would be roughly $200

Welding would be required, this is a kit for the DIYer and woudl include 4 lower mounts and 4 upper mounts.

Here is aphoto of the rear lower mounts for now.

IMG_1528.jpg

• Like 1

They are roughly 16" long, that would offer 4" more up travel assuming 1" of OEM strut tube was left for the new tube to press fit onto the spindle. As far as ride height goes, that woudl be dependant on the springrate and how much tension is applied to the springs.

My kit would be engineered around the up and downtravel of the shocks. I willmake it so the user can adjust the travel to either slam the car or keep it at stock height.

Pictures of installed kit on my own 240z coming soon. just got the rears done and installed with TTT rear LCAS and my own rear LCA mounts and Skyline GTR diff, looks awesome!

There would be no need to purchase anything other than a set of s13 coilovers and my kit. You would retain the front camber plates and front/rear pillowball mounts.
well $200 for a set of coilovers and adapters would be an outrageous price...but this is just for adapters

Does nobody realize this has been done? It works, you just need 2 front coil over mounts. You cut the 240z tube and leave about an inch. Press mounts on. Weld them. Paint them. Put the stock Z top hats on and bolt them up.

This will leave the shock body movement to adjust the height, keeping the travel the same as it was higher or lower. You adjust the spring tension to make your suspension stiffer or softer (obviously your spring rates will effect this).

Picture to show you what I mean by front mounts. You press these on and then weld the seam. I think what you would get here is 4 of these custom machined to fit the 240z tubes without all the bolt brackets and crap you will have to cut off?

type2240sx.jpg

Anyways, onto some progress pics.

Here is the sandblasted and cut spindle. The DOM tube is bored out to provide a .002-.003" press fit onto the existing tube. Anythign more than that and you need a hydrualic press (expensive), and risk damaging your spindles or the new strut tube.

IMG_1538.jpg

Here we have the CNC turned threads, the coilover threads into these perfectly with no binding or excessive slop. There is over 2.5" of threads so the connection between the coilover and strut tube is VERY strong.

IMG_1539.jpg

The tube is pressed onto the spindle

IMG_1540.jpg

A comparison between an OEM length Koni Red shock, vs the new setup completley threaded all the way in. As you can see there is plenty of uptravel gainable here while still retaining near stock stroke. Final lowering measurments will be posted, as well as photos of the lowered car after the coilovers are installed.

IMG_1543.jpg

The connection is welded in place

IMG_1548.jpg

I painted the spindles using brake caliper paint and galvanizing spray on the inside to prevent corrosion.

IMG_1549.jpg

Wax was also sprayed on the inside to further prevent corrosion.

IMG_1553.jpg

The goal of this kit is not to SLAM the car but to provide a functional, affordable coilover solution to the z. Kit could be made to fit other coilovers as well. Browse your local craigslist or nissan 240sx forums and I can almost guarantee you will find a set of s13 coilovers somewhere for cheap. I picked up my Megans from a drift wreck for $500. if you want to be REALLY cheap I think you can get brand new Emusa for that price, although I do not recommend those.

Not bad considering I was going to spend twice that on GC sleeves, camber plates and MR2 shocks.

If I wanted to slam the car and still have usable suspension, I would be looking at redesigning my suspension geometry first, and building a custom tunnel for my exhaust.

More updates to follow!

Edited by johnc

Dan,

Awesome! As stated earlier I am for sure down to buy a kit but I do have one question. Do you know what other coilovers have similar thread to the megans used in your mock-up? The only reason I ask is upgrade-ability.

With coilovers (sectioned struts), you can change the spring rate and/or shock cartridge to meet future needs. Stock struts also give options as well as far as spring rate and dampening.

I know coilovers have a variety of thread pitches, but it might be nice to know what possible (within reason) shocks can screw into the sleeve. Doesn't necessarily have to be by design to use "brand X" advanced shock, but something else beyond the megan range...if this makes sense at all.

Actually, that's initially why I have been hesitant to get into coilovers. If a replacement(s) needed to be sourced, what option would the consumer have with *any* threaded shock set-up aside from starting from scratch or buying from the same manufacturer? You'd think the manufacturers would decide on a universal thread for a particular application to give folks options.

R/

D