25 replies to this topic

#1 intelz

intelz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFt. Myers FL

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

I dont know if this is some closely guarded government secret or what but,failure
after tirelessly searching for some info and or illustrations to EXACTLY how the JTR V8 conversion mounts are set up on the Z crossmember mounts.......I took out a 327 with fabbed mounts from JTR blueprints and it looked INCREDIBLY INCORRECT.
The setback plates were bolted directly to the block, can that be right.....?
I dont want to pay $35 to see a picture of what this is supposed to look like......
Make any sense or no..........???
Any help would be appreciated..............
I have added a pic to the origional setup.............http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/counterintel/PA220567.jpg

#2 RTz

RTz

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3011 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

You might be surprised how much you get for $35 dollars.
Regards, Ron

HybridZ; Some diligence required.

#3 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

The setback plates do in fact get bolted to the block. Not sure what you have on that engine but it does not look like a JTR mount to me. And I agree with RTZ buy the book, it will save you a lot of headaches.

Posted Image
'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#4 intelz

intelz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFt. Myers FL

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:48 PM

Thank you gentlemen for the info.......Deja....what you have there is a little more like it....I DO plan to buy the book.....For I understand it is the leading authority on the V8 swap.......
I also have a 77 that i've just purchased, was absolutely amazed how good of shape it was....( FLA CAR).....rolling chassis.......Still looking and debating what power to put in.....(Too many options these days).
Can't wait to get it going.......and then start on the next one...lol
http://photobucket.com/counterintelZ

#5 piston

piston

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:32 PM

sorry but this kinda made me laugh. i can almost say that over 100 hybrid z sbc v8's on here use the JTR set back design. i used it myself on my old lt1 t56 swap. this my friend is nothing new. im done with the v8 scene and the book still comes in handy for my new build.

#6 nullbound

nullbound

Rhymenocerous

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationRoswell, GA

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

The motormounts are bolted to the setback plates. The spacers go between the setback plates and the block.

Like this:
Posted Image

And definitely buy the manual. There's a lot more info there than you think.

#7 auxilary

auxilary

Jester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1795 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

If you think about it, you're dumping at least $2000 into the swap to do it right. Cost of the manual is less than 2% of that cost.

:)
RotaryZ.com
DatsunRacing.com

Pray - a lot! -John Coffey

#8 jbk240z

jbk240z

Custom user-title!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationDenver, Co

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:28 AM

The motormounts are bolted to the setback plates. The spacers go between the setback plates and the block.

Like this:
Posted Image

And definitely buy the manual. There's a lot more info there than you think.

All of the V8 installs I have seen have the plates agianst the block, not the spacer. The 2 conversions I have done both had the plates against the block. I guess it could work either way, but plate on the block looks way better IMHO. I can not find my JTR book to verify, though.

#9 wheelman

wheelman

Fastest Jack-Stands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA.

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

Nullbound did it the way the manual says to but most of us, at least that I've seen, did it the other way. When I tried to set it up "correctly" on my car the spacer wanted to occupy the same space as the header so I bolted the plate to the block, the spacer to the plate and the motor mount to the spacer. I've been running it that way for 4 years without any problems and my car gets raced more than street driven.

I really don't think it matters other than getting everything to clear.

Wheelman (Ken Wheeler)

73 240Z, LT1, LT4 Hot cam, T-5, LSD R200, 300ZX CV Half-Shafts, Subaru Forester Power Steering, rod end control arms front and rear.
92 240SX, KA24DE-T, T3 Turbo, Mega Squirt (MSExtra), suspension modified for autocross with full rod ends, coilovers, Bilstein shocks, etc..

#10 nullbound

nullbound

Rhymenocerous

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • LocationRoswell, GA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Yes, I followed the manual. I don't think it matters, but I went with what they described. My S&S headers barely touched the spacer on the driver's side, but I added some clearance on the spacer with my dremel. I'm doing my 260 install the same way.

#11 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

I mounted mine with the setbacks on the block. I had to trim a lot of the spacer to clear my headers. If I were going to do it again I do it like nullbound did.
'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#12 gvincent

gvincent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationNorton, MA

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

Mine are like Nullbounds and with the Sanderson headers I had no problems.
Greg

#13 Wilson_WWSC

Wilson_WWSC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

I have a manual, the 7th edition; it came with the car. Is there any better/new info in the more recent versions?
`º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º`VV죧ðñ`º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º`
Posted Image

#14 Jake3202

Jake3202

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

The setback plates do in fact get bolted to the block. Not sure what you have on that engine but it does not look like a JTR mount to me. And I agree with RTZ buy the book, it will save you a lot of headaches.

mounts.jpg

What motor mount is that black piece? I need to find out what piece that is because I do not have it. On either my 280z or my donor truck a chevy c30... Please help!

Edited by Jake3202, 17 January 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#15 dsommer

dsommer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationRogers, AR

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

That would be the Chevy motor mount that you supply and is not included in the kit.
I believe the JTR manual has the part number.

#16 dsommer

dsommer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationRogers, AR

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

This Is a gimme.
Chevrolet part number for the motor mount is 3990332 for the driver side.
You have to slightly clearance the driver-side mount. The rubber part

Now go and buy a JTR manual.

You're welcome.

#17 Jake3202

Jake3202

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thank you, I bought the book, I just havnt gotten it yet. What store is that part number for?

#18 dsommer

dsommer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationRogers, AR

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

The P/N is for a stock motor mount, any parts house should be able to X refernce the part number.

Once you receive the book read it twice or twelve times, bathroom reading material (haha) you'll get it then.  Also search this site thourghly it is a wealth of information.  I've been a member since Y2K, it helps to do reseach.

Best of wishes on the build.

#19 78zstyle

78zstyle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationDenton, Texas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

You might be surprised how much you get for $35 dollars.

I respectfully disagree. The JTR book basically told me nothing. There were no instructions on how to bolt up the mounts.

#20 spacecase70

spacecase70

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

instructions to bolt on the mount, that is pretty straight forward, you just use 2 short bolts on the set back plate, and three long ones to go thru the plate and spacers but remember to trim about a 1/2 inch from the bottom rear corner of the driver side mount

Edited by spacecase70, 21 January 2014 - 09:34 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Looking for more power the natural way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users