HybridZ

"Acid" Dipping / Stripping Source in SoCal

Tony D

I'd thought they were all gone, driven away forever by the CARB Nazis...

But just today JeffP calls and tells me of a place in Santa Ana he visited which has the dip tanks, and does full on chemical stripping of vehicle bodies, along with the phosphate dip afterwards for corrosion / storage protection till you can get to work it.

Guy's name is Joseph, and the company is Strip Clean in Santa-Ana CA.

www.stripcleaninc.com

5105 West 1st Street

Santa Ana, CA 92703-3069

(714) 775-7797

Jeff said there was an early Chevy Nomad in the shop which was stripped on premises. Quotation from Joseph for the stripping of a Z/ZX was $1900, which he commented is now $500 higher due to recent increases in his chemical costs. He's buying the stuff 50K gallons at a time, in three different tanks, and replenishes the tanks quarterly.

For all the talk of the places being gone in the area, it's good to know the process of chemical stripping and rust removal is still available. (Mostly rust removal for my concerns...) This apparently is NOT an 'acid dip'---it is another type of chemical rust removal. I have not gone there yet to talk to Joseph to get the details, but the availability (or lack thereof) of this service has been a pain for some people who wanted to avail themselves of the technology.

So there you have it!:mrgreen:

• 7 years later...
On 2/17/2010 at 8:16 PM, Tony D said:

I'd thought they were all gone, driven away forever by the CARB Nazis...

But just today JeffP calls and tells me of a place in Santa Ana he visited which has the dip tanks, and does full on chemical stripping of vehicle bodies, along with the phosphate dip afterwards for corrosion / storage protection till you can get to work it.

Guy's name is Joseph, and the company is Strip Clean in Santa-Ana CA.

www.stripcleaninc.com

5105 West 1st Street

Santa Ana, CA 92703-3069

(714) 775-7797

Jeff said there was an early Chevy Nomad in the shop which was stripped on premises. Quotation from Joseph for the stripping of a Z/ZX was $1900, which he commented is now $500 higher due to recent increases in his chemical costs. He's buying the stuff 50K gallons at a time, in three different tanks, and replenishes the tanks quarterly.

For all the talk of the places being gone in the area, it's good to know the process of chemical stripping and rust removal is still available. (Mostly rust removal for my concerns...) This apparently is NOT an 'acid dip'---it is another type of chemical rust removal. I have not gone there yet to talk to Joseph to get the details, but the availability (or lack thereof) of this service has been a pain for some people who wanted to avail themselves of the technology.

So there you have it!:mrgreen:

I realize this post is 7 years old but I thought I would update it with fresh information. I've been searching for days for places to strip my 240z and weighing the pros and cons of blasting vs. shooting chemicals into the boxed in areas myself vs. getting the whole thing dipped.  I just talked to these guys on the phone and they still do the dipping, but the prices have increased a lot since 2010. The shell alone is $2600, doors are another $225 each, and the remaining parts are comparable in price. Out of my budget I'll tell you that. CARB Nazis...

Edited by jkelly

• 3 weeks later...

REALLY APPRECIATE THE UPDATE!
Like anything else, government meddling drives up prices. Most of this is recordkeeping and compliance burden.

Given what it removes 9every bit of rust...man...

Almost worth a U-Haul and the Gas to Phoenix for a Drop and Pickup, huh?

No problem. Yeah, it sucks. I imagine it's driving a lot of business and businesses out of CA. Speaking of which, yep, I'd say it is worth it. If I weren't so far along already I would trailer mine out there to Phoenix. They've also been hit by some EPA regs I think. The Redi Strip was bought by a company called Clean Metal Industries and they told me they no longer do automotive stripping. I did get a quote from a company called Xpress Metal Cleaning for the entire shell and parts (fenders, hood, etc.) for $1500. That was about a month ago and their website has since gone down -- maybe the EPA police got them too! Ridiculous. I'm not sure who else there is around the area.

Xpress Metal Cleaning LLC 
Office: 602.628.7306

• 1 year later...

Stumbled onto this thread today.

I live in the Phoenix area and I can tell that these "CARB nazis" otherwise known as the EPA, are here in this state as well.

I spent some time visiting with the folks at Xpress Metal Cleaning, yes they are still in business..

The phone numbers above are still good, but they have moved.  I'm trying to find a place that can strip, preferably by dipping, my dad's 1965 El Camino body.  In a word they, Xpress Metal, cannot do it.  Their tank is not big enough..  Kinda depressing, cause over the phone they quoted me $1500 for the whole truck, not knowing the cab cannot be separated from the bed....

Being that there is a bunch of "cavity" space not accessible by a blaster of any kind, I was really looking forward to having the whole thing "body" dipped.

Best of luck on your quest.

Xpress Metal Cleaning

3402 E. Wier Ave.

Phoenix, AZ. 85040

602-628-7306

xpressstripping@gmail.com

• 2 years later...