HybridZ

Might have found my Z

Torkair

A local guy is selling a 91 300zx for $500, motor is slagged but who cares about that. I want to drop a 302/c4 into it and use it as my daily driver, aside from possibly having to change the oil pan and pickup what else might I have to change to get it all in and fit? Looking for the "knuckle dragger" approack here, quick and dirty swap with room for improvement later down the road.

I'm certainly no Z32 aficionado or egg-head, but I know the SBC swap is about six pains in the ass into this car. It is totally doable, but you talk about knuckle-dragger approach, and I know nothing different between SBC and SBF that would simplify the swap. Granted, I don;t know much about domestic Iron, but I know enough to know that the modular OHC Ford V8 is a very different critter from the 302 and that the 302 is the better match (dimensionally) for the SBC.

If you want a quick and easy V8 swap, you need a car built from 1970 to 1983... Either S30 (240, 260, 280Z) or S130 (280ZX) If you want to swap a V8 into a 300ZX, then you can certainly do it, but it isn't going to be "knuckle-dragger" unless the V8 is around 3 liters.

I'm certainly no Z32 aficionado or egg-head, but I know the SBC swap is about six pains in the ass into this car. It is totally doable, but you talk about knuckle-dragger approach, and I know nothing different between SBC and SBF that would simplify the swap. Granted, I don;t know much about domestic Iron, but I know enough to know that the modular OHC Ford V8 is a very different critter from the 302 and that the 302 is the better match (dimensionally) for the SBC.

If you want a quick and easy V8 swap, you need a car built from 1970 to 1983... Either S30 (240, 260, 280Z) or S130 (280ZX) If you want to swap a V8 into a 300ZX, then you can certainly do it, but it isn't going to be "knuckle-dragger" unless the V8 is around 3 liters.

Well I've got a set of SBF mounts and a 351C block that I can use to mock up for the 302, as for the tranny, a C4 will fit almost anywhere and IIRC a T56 is a BIG MOFO of a tranny and can be wedged under these cars without cutting. I think the biggest problem I'll have is finding a spot to mount the oil filter relocation kit and hooking up the radiator. If the motor sticks up a bit high (and I'm sure it will) I have no problems with cutting the hood and welding on a steel cowl. If anyone has some pics of either an LS1 swap or a SBF swap that I can work from then it'll help accelerate the time frame that this takes to do.

Just a heads up, the 351C engine is not a small block like the 5.0/302 is.....

Actually it IS a small block, Dimensionally it's slightly taller than a 302/5.0 and slightly shorter than a 351W. It also uses the exact same mounts and bell housing as both a 302 AND a 351W. Now if you want a motor that will REALLY confuse the crap outa you look no further than a 351m/400 motor, that sucker is almost as big as a 460 but is TECHNICALLY considered a small block despite using the "385 series" aka BBF bell housing and having its own special mounts (except in 1970 but good luck finding one of those suckers).

If you are serious about this swap be prepared to chart some new territory. Not many people use the the ford C blocks as they are not as readily available as the windsor blocks. nor do many people swap american v8 into z32's. You seem to know you stuff when it comes to fords so I wont discourage you. If you pull this off I really want to see some picks. Good luck man!

If you are serious about this swap be prepared to chart some new territory. Not many people use the the ford C blocks as they are not as readily available as the windsor blocks. nor do many people swap american v8 into z32's. You seem to know you stuff when it comes to fords so I wont discourage you. If you pull this off I really want to see some picks. Good luck man!

It'll be pretty slick once it's done, my biggest concern is getting traction and then after that keeping from twisting the frame as even some of the meanest Mustangs will get twisted by the Clevelands without reinforcing the car.

It'll be pretty slick once it's done, my biggest concern is getting traction and then after that keeping from twisting the frame as even some of the meanest Mustangs will get twisted by the Clevelands without reinforcing the car.

too true... I have heard of a quick swap go bad at the drag track.... FOX body mustang + Cleveland = 1 car rolling on three wheels like a teter-toter