HybridZ

240z Project!

tightman1234

So let me start this thread by introducing myself!

Hi, My name is Daniel, I live in Northern California, I have owned a few z's before and have done a lot of work on them, especially a z32 that I own right now.

Ive been thinking up this plan to buy a smog exempt 240z, first of all because its smog exempt, so i dont have to tow it to the track, second of all, because I think that when they are fixed up, they are beautiful cars! I talked to the shop owner that I have been working with for a while about a 240z project and putting a V8 into it. he said that it would be one baddass car, and that he would do it with me, we were both thinking about a 383 stroker; However, after reading a lot of things on this forum, I see that there are many other viable options for this engine swap, I could do an ls1 or an lq4(i think thats what it is), but I have always, always, drooled over the 34 GTR's... the rb26dett is the sickest looking engine that I have ever seen..

Whatever I buy, I want it to be decently priced.. and the ls1 seems to be out of the picture because of this.. all wheel drive for the rb26dett engine would be super nice, except i would have to switch out the differentials.. or, if I am not mistaken, by an r200 rear differential, and an rb25det tranny, mount it to the rb26dett engine, and have a rear wheel drive car.

The first V8 engine Idea I had would most likely be the cheapest. but its fine if the rb is going to be some more cash..

Use of this car-- It wont be a daily driver.. I might take it around town a few times a month... drift competitions and track days... and maybe some car shows if it turns out well.

I have found rb26dett engines for relatively cheap- around 2800 with free shipping, and then the rb25 tranny would be around 400.

Im going to be rebuilding whatever I get, and its fine if the project takes a while. I want it to be done right though.

I am about to go look at a 240z this weekend, and maybe ill pick it up, who knows!

Let me know what you guys think would be the wisest decision for what I am doing

Thanks!

I would ditch the 4wd idea, its going to involve nothing short of welding on the whole front end assembly firewall forward of a skyline to be able to use the front drive components... stick to rwd.

The rb26dett with rb25det trans is a very common swap and so is the straight rb25det motor and trans combo. If you want an RB these two are your most viable choices with mounts, dshafts, etc already available though vendors.

Welcome to the board :)

heres one that sold for 700- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180461857701&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=b5f14c261260a02665d5c365ffe9ee47&rvr_id=&ua=%3F*F%3F&itemid=180461857701

the one I was looking at for 400, was actually an rb26 tranny. my mistake.

Were is the best places to get everything? I saw one guy that said he got an rb26dett, a rb25det transmission, an r200 differential, and some other things for around 3500.

by the way, the 240z is 4 lug right? what about the r200 differential? is that 5 lug? I think I want 5 lug differentials... HEY!! super good Idea, I have an old NA 300zx from 1986 that someone just smashed, and im getting insurance money for it.. its most likely going to be totaled, but i could buy it back to get the 5lug axles. unless they want too much to buy it back.. If thats the case, there is a nissan junkyard in Sacremento that I could buy the 5lug axles for pretty cheap, and maybe rebuild them.

How about in the way of suspension? I want to replace most everything linkage wise, coilovers, adjustable cambers. what would you guys recommend in the way of suspension

I think you need to search a lot more before asking the most basic of questions. There's a good drivetrain and suspension section in the main forums which doesn't apply to any motor you have in the car, search there for your answers.

axles don't change your lug count either but doing a CV conversion is very common.

Listen to RS, the man really knows what he is talking about. I am in the process of swapping in an RB25 and even though I've read nearly every thread I can find, I'm always stumbling on new info. Now, I'm no expert here, but I would have to recommend the 25 if your goal is 400hp, look at a guy named Rob Fuller, he has a sick rb25 Z with 440whp with some realistic mods. There are a couple videos of his car on YouTube, his shop is zcargarage.com...

Figure on a bare bones budget of 5k, but that, as I'm finding now, is pretty hard to stay under.

• 3 weeks later...

I was also thinking.. What would the RB25DET be like compared to the RB26DETT? In terms of cost vs/and horspower.. obviously the RB26 is more, but is it worth it over theRB25? I want to have around 400 hp

Listen to RS, the man really knows what he is talking about. I am in the process of swapping in an RB25 and even though I've read nearly every thread I can find, I'm always stumbling on new info. Now, I'm no expert here, but I would have to recommend the 25 if your goal is 400hp, look at a guy named Rob Fuller, he has a sick rb25 Z with 440whp with some realistic mods. There are a couple videos of his car on YouTube, his shop is zcargarage.com...

Figure on a bare bones budget of 5k, but that, as I'm finding now, is pretty hard to stay under.

I was going to get an RB26 but like you I only want about 400Hp. And other that the bragging rights to "Godzilla" under your hood, the RB25 is a much better option. Money wise It will be between $1K & $1.5 less than a RB26 if your talking stock motors. And most guys change the 26 in to a single turbo.

Anything more than 400Hp, and you need to get really serious about your chassis. Good Luck

Edited by Ed260Z

I was going to get an RB26 but like you I only want about 400Hp. And other that the bragging rights to "Godzilla" under your hood, the RB25 is a much better option. Money wise It will be between $1K & $1.5 less than a RB26 if your talking stock motors. And most guys change the 26 in to a single turbo.

Did somebody say my name? lol

Tightman,

I think you should stick with the RB25DET. I'm about to order the R34 RB25DET through a shop here in Vancouver. This shop has their own head office in Japan. While the motor is being transported, I'm researching other things such as cooling system, suspension, Disc Brakes (which I already have .... Willwood), and differential options such as R200/R230.