HybridZ

Early 260Z Electric problem

I have a 260Z V8 conversion whose wiring is a nightmare left over from the previous owner. I have looked through several schematics, both on line and in a Haynes and can't seem to find the correct diagram for the heater and A/C. This had an A/C but is no longer there. Not sure if it was factory or not. There is an orange (yes, orange) , a red, and two black wires coming out of the motor. The red wire goes into a white conection. One of the blacks goes into the same connection to a blue/red. There is no such thing as an orange wire in any diagram I have found. In order to make the blower run, I have to connect the orange wire right back into the other black wire of the motor. This appears to be a factory connection. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I putting this back on the street and this is the last problem child which was never issue when I was racing. I am just about ready to buy a Vintage heat and air unit if it will fit and trash this whole mess.

Edited by Bowtiez

I don't see any orange wires coming from the motor in the factory service manual. Do you think this motor was taken from another car? The diagrams are probably correct but your blower may not be original.

Here is a link to a 260z wiring diagram http://www.atlanticz...manual_wire.gif

Edited by Jeff260z

I don't see any orange wires coming from the motor in the factory service manual. Do you think this motor was taken from another car? The diagrams are probably correct but your blower may not be original.

Here is a link to a 260z wiring diagram http://www.atlanticz...manual_wire.gif

Very possible. The guy I bought the car from was a tinkerer. Should there be four separate wires coming out of the motor itself?

This motor does have 4 wires coming from the motor It does not look like the picture. The motor is longer and has a large round rusty plate with three screws and over sized 1 inch washers holding it to the housing. I think you hit the nail on the head. I have the original window sticker. This was a California car that did not come with air.

I can't seem to attach a .jpg picture.

Update: I pulled the motor after your showing me the picture and took it to my favorite troubleshooting armature exchange shop. Mark says the motor is designed to be run counterclockwise or clockwise. The two reversal wires must be together but a bad connection resulted in the warm wire. He recommended butt splicing the two wires together and also replacing the connectors for the good wires. Thanks for your help!

BTW: When I pulled the glove compartment liner, there is ton of connections on the passenger side above the fuse box. I would like to clean this up for when I install my Vintage A/C and heat. I know I don't any wires for EFI,CDI or interlock BS. The only way I know is to pull one connection at a time and see if any lights, etc. quit working.

Edited by Bowtiez

Glad you got it figured out.

In tracing the wires you may try going by wire color as it will tell you what main branch or sub branch the wire should belong to. It may not tell you exactly where the wire is going but it'll get you close for each circuit.