HybridZ

My 240 SR20 Build

Howdy all... I've been lurking in the background watching posts for over a year now, and finally get to show off some of my fun work.

I've done everything myself (and friend) so far, with no shop involvement. Mostly, cause I'm cheap, but generally, cause I love to do it.

It's now ready to be put together and set up, with new wiring harness, new seals, etc... and will not be a full resto or show car, but a fun weekend street/sport ride to play around with.

Here's some crappy iPhone pics of it at my friend's house, who painted it... final color is Laguna Seca Blue (BMW M3)... which looks way better in real life that the iphone can do it justice with.

So Far we've done the following body wise:

Taken it down to the frame/shell

Shaved the door locks (going keyless entry)

Shaved the 240z emblems everywhere

Shaved the Side Markers

Shaved the Antenna

Shaved the Fuel Door

Shaved the Engine Bay

Removed the Fuel Tank

Cut out the Spare Tire Area / Reinstalled a New Floor

Installed a Fuel Cell

New Driver/Passenger Floors

New DogLegs Driver/Passenger

Installed Roll Bar

De-Rusted EVERYTHING

All New Urethane Bushings on EVERYTHING, Repainted all the suspension components

Reconditioned the Dash

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Here's what the color really looks like in sunlight:

75727d1229122637-petition-re-introduce-laguna-seca-blue-bmw-colors-lagunasecabluemedium.jpg

Here's some shots of the special work I've done so far:

4386983016_01c3ef891e_o.jpg

4386220775_1828856718_o.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. beautiful work, inspiring and shows what a talented guy you are!! Kudos!! Amazing attention to detail.

Interesting color choice..would not be my first choice..but an interesting one non the less and will look great with the right wheels and stance.

Keep the pics coming please!

Yasin

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some pics as it's moved from paint back to being slowly put back together... don't worry about the wheels/tires... they are going away.

I still can't take a good picture of the real color, as the camera just won't pick it up right... the color is darker than what the photos show, I'll have to take some pictures at dusk sometime.

Shaved front sidemarkers, Shaved Z Logos on Fender, Shaved door locks -

DSCN0955.jpg

Shaved Fuel Door, Shaved C-Pillar Logos/Holes, Shaved Sidemarkers

DSCN0956.jpg

This pic is the closest to the real color. - Shaved Hatch Logo

DSCN0957.jpg

Shaved Antenna, Shaved Side Marker, Shaved Door Lock, Shaved C-Pillar Logo

DSCN0960.jpg

Closer pic

DSCN0961.jpg

Quick Engine Bay Shave - Not Perfect, but I didn't care... just wanted it "Cleaner"

DSCN0965.jpg

Nice and Smooth Roof - It got bumped around in the past

DSCN0968.jpg

That color looks awesome. I am looking forward to doing the bodywork on my Z. Your car is very inspiring.

Thanks!

Just be patient and it'll come together. The Z is way more forgiving than the other cars I've built/worked on myself. (I love the mechanical and electrical simplicity of 70's rides).

I'm just a normal guy who works on this thing... I don't like to let shops do the work for me and I really love to get my hands dirty and be able to wrap my mind around how these 240s are built, plus save money in the process.

I'm now working on the wiring for it, as I've got a new Ez-Wiring kit to go into it cleanly and it's an adventure to figure out all the wiring for the turns/brake, but even more so for the wiper motor, as it's like pulling teeth to get a good guide on how that whole wiper system works (wire wise) in a '72... I'll have it down packed soon though no problem.

The seals are almost all in now, but I solely need to get the seals on the bottom of the doors on. The C-Pillar windows are now in, but I still need to get the window frames back on the doors and get the windows, regulators, and hardware back in. I really like little things on the car, so I get distracted with all the fun stuff to do.

Friday is a big swap meet here in PDX, so I'll see if there is anything cool to pick up there for fun as well, and then work on the car on Friday and Saturday Morning.

The internet is abounding with information about these cars, so it's actually pretty easy to find out most issues I run into, as almost always someone else has hit it and posted the solution on the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

This last week got some decent progress done on it:

Put the ZCC Tow Brackets on - Cause they are dang sweet looking - Check out ZCCjdm.com

All Seals are In

Door Window Frames and C-Pillar Windows are In

Tails are Re-Wired with Modern Molex Connectors and back on

Cut and set up new D&P side kick panels and dogleg panels from new material - Upholstering it later

Steering Shaft and Pedal Box is back on

I've finally figured out all the wiring for:

Turn Signal Switch

Headlight and Wiper Switch

Full Wiper Motor Rebuild and Wiring and Relay Setup (Which is a Pain)

All the EZ-Wiring Harness

I'll probably post some of the schematics I ended up with, as the wiring was fun to figure out and it's helpful to add another reference to the mess of wires and how the assemblies work.

Picked Up:

Taurus Fan - Rebuilt and Cleaned/Tested that monster of a fan

Next steps are full rewiring, replacing all the old connectors with modern molex setups, which will take a chunk of time.

Interior Rebuild and Re-Upholstery

Then it's flocking time! - Dash and all upper interior trim will be flocked to match ultrasuede Headliner and such.

The Engine will be purchased soon and mounted on a stand and I'll share my experiences there with a moderate rebuild there, as I'll replace seals like mad, and repaint and accessorize the SR20DET well.

I'll pop some pics over the weekend as I finish up the tail section a bit.

Got some decent progress done today...

All Windows are in her now, as well as almost all the door hardware, except the outside handles, due to paint waiting.

Wiper Motor and Assembly Back in...

Wiper.jpg

Back Panels Fitted and Temporarily back on

back.jpg

Wiring Harness Tentatively Mounted - Where I want it to be.

wire.jpg

Taurus Fan All Cleaned Up and Testing, Running like the monster it is.

Fan.jpg

Bit by bit it's coming together

Some more to finish the day -

The Wiring Harness was too short and it makes more sense to have the connectors near the firewall, so TADA!

IMG_0062.jpg

The Vent Assemblies for the kick panels on the sides got all recleaned up and niftified:

IMG_0056.jpg

Same for the License Plate Lights:

IMG_0061.jpg