HybridZ

130mph floating issue

So I was fooling around the other day with the z and had it going at about 130 mph to test what it is like with the steel bumpers off. The shaking it once had is now gone. BUT now I found that I have another issue; the car starts to have a floaty feel coming from the front of the car. It felt as if I were to turn it it would flip. This is something I would like to fix. I read a little bit about the windtunnel stuff to be honest most of the stuff you guys were saying was and or is way above my head. So that being said.

What can I do to make the car more stable and planted as I get it to those higher speeds? Picture examples would be great. I am planning on doing body work very soon so if there is stuff like wings and splitters or a particular body kit that is better than others for aerodynamics, I would much appreciate the information so I can have it setup better before I repaint it.

The car as is a 1978 280z 5 speed stock front lower valance and has the steel park bench bumpers removed. the radiator is fully exposed at this point big open mouth. The suspension right now is all stock struts shocks etc. all 1978 factory.

thanx vega-

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One word: downforce. :)

P.S. Is it possible removing the park benches makes it sit higher? Did it have that problem before you removed the bumpers? Either way, it seems like the front end could be a little high for the car's weight/configuration. Lowering the front end slightly could naturally give it a better stance without having to add a wing or anything that drastic.

Add an air dam to the front, seal the airdam back to the radiator support, and if you have any adjustment add some caster to it.

jt

do you have any pictures for examples to what your talking about as far as the air damn goes? I understand the caster idea I've thought of changing the alignment a bit seeing that its going to change at higher speeds.

I did forget to mention that I have staggered tires as far as height goes.n I have taller tires in the rear to bring the front end down- not DRAMATIC really but, 185 65 front 195 70 rear.

By removing the front bumper, you have allowed a lot more air into the open nose.  That air is getting into the engine bay and pushing up against the underside of your hood.  Simply blocking off a good portion of the grill will get you where you were, or better. This is all covered in the aero thread section. 

You want the air to go around or over the car, not into the engine bay or under the valence, generally speaking

Edited by cygnusx1

*getting on old man pants*

There is no reason for you to be getting up to those speeds on public roads. Keep it safe. /rant

When I first got my 78 and took it on the interstate, at 85 MPH [Yes, I was speeding] it felt very 'floaty.' I attributed it mainly to those huge bumpers, but when I took mine off, I also put on the MSA Type 1 Air Dam. The car feels very planted at those higher speeds now [Never been up to 130 MPH though]. I would suggest getting a type one, I *assume* the brake ducts help, but I have no experience with the non-ducted airdam, so that's purely conjecture.

*getting on old man pants*

There is no reason for you to be getting up to those speeds on public roads. Keep it safe. /rant

When I first got my 78 and took it on the interstate, at 85 MPH [Yes, I was speeding] it felt very 'floaty.' I attributed it mainly to those huge bumpers, but when I took mine off, I also put on the MSA Type 1 Air Dam. The car feels very planted at those higher speeds now [Never been up to 130 MPH though]. I would suggest getting a type one, I *assume* the brake ducts help, but I have no experience with the non-ducted airdam, so that's purely conjecture.

I was going to say that, but in his defense, he never mentioned anything about public roads...

do you have any pictures for examples to what your talking about as far as the air damn goes

No pictures, but if I wanted to use a 240Z chrome bumper I would use something like a MSA 1401, which doesn't have the useless brake duct holes. If I didn't want the 240Z bumper, I would use the MSA type 3, and block off the brake holes before I painted it.

jt

The aerodynamics of the Z is not set up for 130 mph. I drove a Lamborghini Mirria 202 back in the 60s and at about that same speed it was a real hand full. Very few car have the aerodynamics be stable at that speed. Remember these cars were sold on looks not aerodynamics and gas was cheap. Go to the race track and check out all of the Zs and look at their modifications. There are some manufactures of body kits made for racing that should improve stability but you still need to do your homework and find out what they do with the under carriage.

QUOTE: The car as is a 1978 280z 5 speed stock front lower valance and has the steel park bench bumpers removed. the radiator is fully exposed at this point big open mouth. The suspension right now is all stock struts shocks etc. all 1978 factory.

Congratulations. You sir, have the fastest stock 1978 280 Z car on the face of the Earth.(Sorry, I couldn't let this one go)

I'm just going by the speedo bub. I've also had the speedo tested- by radar, I'm not 100 percent sure if its 130 that i have not had done by radar. I have at 90 for sure. So I am sure its close. Your not helping so unless you would like to help keep the flaming and the random opinions to yourself or NICO.

On a side note: I do enjoy your quote in your sig.

Edited by vega