HybridZ

Rear fender areas cut too much by previous owner, what to do?

Negligence

The previous owner or the one before him put on these flares, and most definitely cut too much into the car, the wheel gap is too noticeable for me to let go, Ive ordered splash guards to help cut this down, but if im not happy with that, does anyone know what I should do? Do i literally just cut away and weld in new metal?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remedy this?

100_1675.jpg

100_1741.jpg

1.jpg

If anyone else has had this issue, and knows a ballpark on how much it cost to repair the rear fender areas, let me know. Im puting on ZG flares, so it doesnt have to look perfect all around, just in the rear section i guess.

For right now, I cannot think of a better way to do this, so here it goes:

1) Removal of the current flares and filler down to metal in the rear.

2) Weld in sheet metal that mimics the stock body radius of the wheel arch (but w/o the lip since you are installing ZG's.

3) Fill and blend the new sheet metal, primer, paint, drill for ZGs, install ZGs, drive like you stole it.

I think this is the best and possibly only true repair of the damage done by the PO. It is somewhat labor intensive, but not hopeless, especially since ZGs will cover a lot of sins. The key is adding enough metal to get the new flares into the stock location.

Good luck with this project!!

Davy

If you want to keep the flaired look, I'd put some IMSA flairs or the reaction research flairs on that. It would cover what has been hacked. Your other option is to get a stock rear quarter and start over. I doubt ZG flairs would cover that but ZGs may be an option also.

If you want to keep the flaired look, I'd put some IMSA flairs or the reaction research flairs on that. It would cover what has been hacked. Your other option is to get a stock rear quarter and start over. I doubt ZG flairs would cover that but ZGs may be an option also.

Where is my best bet to find a stock rear quarter? Junkyard?

You can also post up a WTB and keep an eye for someone who has a Z getting the sawzall treatment :)

IMO, it'll be easier to start by getting some stock metal to replace it with, rather than trying to work with sheet and make it look right. Then again, I'm no professional body man if you don't plan on doing it yourself. Even something with a little rust damage that would be cut away with the ZG install would work well.

What I personally would do, is remove the FG flare entirely, completely cut the wheel arches, and install Subtle Z flares. Adding metal seems like it would be more effort than it's worth.

This is what I was thinking... But he did say he wanted ZG flares...

This is what I was thinking... But he did say he wanted ZG flares...

Yeah, I had actually written more that was a little more constructive, but then realized it was clearly incorrect. There's no delete post option so I left that. Edited by rturbo 930

Haha the car still looks good, looks like Clive should be your new best bud his came out great. Id go that route, or bigger/widebody like others suggested unless you just want them and like i told you i got em if you need em. I drove that car like i stole it when i had it and loved every minute but i definately bought it that way and it worked for what i wanted....a cheap track toy/street heartbreaker. But good luck and keep me posted man.

I would think that replacing the metal with new quqarter pannels would be the best if you are good enough at body work but that is a lot of MAJOR work.

I have the same problem on my car and am going to be replacing the metal with flat sheet in the places that are really torn back.

This link is showing what I did to a custermers car just last year, the car is done now and back in the owners hands and he is doing more with the side skirts and hood and the glass work.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/vehicles/31265

when I get the pics of my 1970 240Z up I will add that link also.

post-3068-12685849575538_thumb.jpg

I would think that replacing the metal with new quqarter pannels would be the best if you are good enough at body work but that is a lot of MAJOR work.

I have the same problem on my car and am going to be replacing the metal with flat sheet in the places that are really torn back.

This link is showing what I did to a custermers car just last year, the car is done now and back in the owners hands and he is doing more with the side skirts and hood and the glass work.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/vehicles/31265

when I get the pics of my 1970 240Z up I will add that link also.

Im just trying to figure out a ballpark estimate of how much it will cost to have the stock Fubar panels taken out and new ones welded in

Im just trying to figure out a ballpark estimate of how much it will cost to have the stock Fubar panels taken out and new ones welded in

Dtsnlvrs had a similar thing done to his car for rust repair (see his project thread). You might try asking him to get a ballpark price *shrug*.