HybridZ

Criminey...which 280zx rotor?

Fellas,

Alternator upgrade is in the cards and I also want to replace the cap, rotor and wires. Everywhere I look, sites list 3 different part numbers for the N/A 280zx...'79, '80-'82, and '83. Are the shafts really keyed differently on these year models? I did not convert my dist and the PO can't remember exactly what year car he pulled it from. Any tips that'll help me ID what I have, or is it as I'm guessing that they are all the same?

R/

Dustin

I just looked on AutoZone website: All 280zx Non-Turbo cars use the exact same JA929 "ignition rotor."

If you're talking about the "distributor" showing different part numbers between different years, this is true:

Earlier 280zx had a 2-plug ignition module (E12-80 I think) and the later had a 4-plug ignition module; and possibly, though I'm not 100% sure, the vacuum advance canister may be different between different non-turbo models. Some had one vacuum connection and some had 2 I believe.

Good luck.

Edited by trippintl0

My earlier searches on the net for the rotors show different part numbers at several of the major Z parts suppliers. I appreciate the AutoZone info...not sure why their site never popped up on my search. Thanks!

Edited by Konish