HybridZ

Brian Laine's engine cradle design

josephg

I have not asked Brain's permission yet but having spoken with him in the past I am pretty sure he will be ok with this. Would any one be interested in purchasing one these engine cradles? There "kits" available for the SBC conversion but the SBF conversions are a little more daunting mainly because of the lack of engine mounting options. (I.E. either build it yourself or don't). I am just trying to figure out who might be interested and how much the would pay for such an item. I have the equipment and I built one for myself already, I could make them fairly easily as apposed to someone who has never worked with metal before or someone who doesn't have the equipment. The raw materials are about $75 and its about 8 hours of labor. let me know.

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

MotorCradle.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

Talked to brian this week, they are done and he sent me a link to the site where they will be sold, I wont post the link, Ill leave that to him but it looks like there going to cost 325$ plus 53$ in shipping. THREE CHEERS FOR BRIAN !!!!

So there aren't any engine mounts? The "mounts" look to be part of the cradle. What about those who don't want to run a solid engine mount?

Very cool to see someone supporting the SBF though!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have a question. It states that it is to be used with a low rise intake, But what about if I wanted to run Fuel Injection(Factory style)? I may give up my dreams for the 4.6 swap if this allows for the fuel injection system..

I wonder if a Victor Jr. intake would work?

Mark

• 4 years later...

There's a Contact link on the webpage.  You might send a message and find out, and ask if they're actually available.  That last post is May 2010.  The guy is stil making the RTz-style mounts, I think, so there's hope.

http://www.technoversions.com/

I thought the older Ford V8's were either Windsor or Cleveland style, Windsor being small-block, Cleveland bigger, although the sizes weren't actually that different.  221, 255, 260 (Sunbeam Tiger - a model for the V8 Z), 289, 302, 351 were apparently the Windsor block displacements.  That's just my vague, fuzzy memory of old Ford engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine

The older OHV Ford engines started with the Y block ( 272, 292, 312 ) engines that I know of. The FE block ( 332, 352, 360, 390,406, 410, 427, and 428 ) engines. The Small block is the ( 221, 255, 260, 289, 302, Boss 302, 351W, 351C ) engines. The Big block ( 351M, 400M, 429, Boss 429, 460 ) engines. The 335 Series engines were the (351C, 351M, 400M ). The 385 Series engines were the ( 429, Boss 429, 460 ). The ( Boss 302, 351C ) had canted valves instead of inline vavles. Also the ( 351M, 400M, 429's, and 460 have canted valves. The The 351M, and 400M  heads look like the 351C heads on the outside, but the have open chambers, and small ports like the 2BBL 351C heads. The 351C 2 and 4 BBL heads are marked with a 2 and 4 where the heads mate with the intake, where the Boss 302, 351M, and 400M heads have no markings. The SBF and the M engines share the same bore spacing, and you can use those heads on a Windsor engine using the Boss 302, or 351C style piston. You have to make sure you have the right Rod, piston, crank combo for it to have the right Deck clearance. If not the piston will either stick to far down in the block or stick to far out of the block. I've been messing with Ford engines since 1970, and I have alot of books on them. I like the 351W over the 289, and 302's because you can get close to 432 CI out of a stock block.