HybridZ

Alternator bolts

Lazyeye

Vehicle: '79 280zx

My ZX has all the symptoms of a bad alternator, so I went to remove it. When I removed it I found out that the adjustment bolt was the only thing holding it in.

My question is: What kind of bolt(s) should be holding the alternator on in addition to the adjustment bolt?

Thank you.

Heh...Ones that are slightly big and fit snugly. I'm not going to take mine out to see what size exactly though, so i cant help you. You could try getting some slightly long bolts and if i can remember correctly, about finger width or a little less. Just hit up the hardware store!

There's a lower alternator bracket that's bolted to the block. There are two bolts that secure the alternator to the bracket. One goes in from the front, and the other from the back. You can see this bracket from the front in the picture below. It's at the left edge of the picture, next to the oil pump. You can see the front bolt hole. The bolts are M8x1.25. The length should be easy enough to figure out.

tn_full_Image013jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT