HybridZ

240Z steering wheel restoration

leftover z

I had a saved link on here about restoring a 240Z steering wheel, but lost it with the new format change. I remember the thread was a couple years old. I can't find it using the search feature. A member had posted nice info from his Z club. Does anyone have that info?

headscratch.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and did this on my own. Basically, I taped off what I didn't want painted. Sanded the metal spokes and hub with fine sandpaper. Primed. Painted with Krylon Satin Black. Waited a couple days, then taped off all the metal. Lightly sanded and used fine steel wool on the "wood". Stained it with Cherry stain/polyurethane combo. Light steel wool between coats. Finish off with a couple spray coats of Clear Polyurathene. Came out pretty good for an amateur.

post-9446-12690968755513_thumb.jpg

Looks good! How long did you wait between coats on the "wood"?

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I think the recommendation on the can was 6 hours, but I waited 24 hours. I kept the wheel in the house to help cure it because my garage is not heated or insulated. It has been getting down to the low 30's here lately (cold for Oregon).