27 replies to this topic

#21 oakland240

oakland240

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOkaland, Ca

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I am thinking about ordering the same headers, I have a '71 240z, does anyone know if the clearances should be the same? Or has anyone installed the 33ap headers on a 240? very helpful before I spend the $400.

Thanks!

Just as an update I bought the C33 headers for my '71 240z...they are NOT bolt up in my case, luckily I am local to Sanderson and they have been EXTREMELY helpful with modifying them to make them fit, if anyone would like pictures of some of the clearance issues and modifications I can upload them before they get installed on Tues or Weds. Also for anyone in my situation, make sure your oil pan does not have flares on the side as the passenger side headers WILL NOT FIT. I also had to have the headers dented to clear the steering shaft (not sure the correct name) and the passenger side frame rails and also the suspension thingy the sits below the frame rail (yeah I'm pretty clueless about suspension). I also had to shave down the bellhousing on my T5 where the slave cylinder goes, but that was fine since I am using a hydraulic throwout bearing. In addition I bought a oil filter relocation kit that looks pretty nifty from Trans-Dapt. I have a pretty hot engine which will benefit from the log tubes, but I encourage anyone with a similarly limited knowledge of car things to avoid the long tube headers unless your engine really requires them. If anyone wants pictures or elaboration I can try to help you out.

PS shameless plug, Jeremy at Sanderson Headers has been really helpful, I have been there a number of times and he has not charged me extra to get all the modifications done and he even gave me a discount for be local/jobless/paying cash/etc, if you are buying headers for a Z I would ask for him.

#22 luigi

luigi

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Locationnashville,tn

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Please, Please take pictures. thanks for offering. I bought a set of those (c-33-ap) and while they would bolt up they were all over everything.
thanks
Lewis

#23 oakland240

oakland240

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOkaland, Ca

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Drivers side (tape showing where additional clearance needed for steering shaft)
Attached File  drivhead.jpg   530.24KB   89 downloads

Good thing I didn't need that slave cylinder huh?
Attached File  driv bellhosuing.jpg   471.29KB   87 downloads

Passenger side (tape showing where runs into frame rails)
Attached File  pass head.jpg   550.84KB   65 downloads

Showing suspension part interference, you can see the above photo how this has already been clearanced.
Attached File  pass susp prob.jpg   369.84KB   60 downloads

Tomorrow I will be taking them back to Sanderson to have the taped areas worked on. If you need them worked I would either call them and ask for the best advice on how to do yourself or maybe they could measure mine and duplicate the clearances for you?

#24 GrtRat1

GrtRat1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew Port Richey, Fla

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

First time poster here.. I use to have a 70 240Z with a 383 stroker (Early 90's).. The headers I had were made by hooker..The driver side didnt fit.. So I mounted the header upside down on the pass side.. Used a torch to heat up the tubes at the head and had to bend them outwards alittle..
I cant wait to get another Z to build and have fun with..

#25 lazycat5

lazycat5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:11 AM

I got a set of the (c 33)'s this spring and the mods made by oakland240 are the same as what i did. I however use streght plug heads and needed to dimple there to. i didn't like the collectors so i cut them out and used a set of merge collectors from edelbrock that look great. The hardest part of the install was bending the pasenger side header to clear the frame rail.
Overall i am very happy with them. Not a bolt on but close enough for anyone to install.

#26 Smyrna388Z

Smyrna388Z

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSmyrna, TN USA

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

Sanderson long tube c33-ap are now installed on my 1976 280z with a Chevy in the JTR position.
Minor clearancing at the frame rail on the passenger side, but this could be eliminated with manufacturing differences between the headers. My steering shaft has been relocated, but suspect the stock location would be very close to working. Ground clearance has not been an issue. Works great when you want a 1-3/4 long tube header.

#27 RebekahsZ

RebekahsZ

Life Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5354 posts
  • LocationFlorence, Alabama

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

See you in April at Z Attack!

1972 240z, purchased in 1991 for $900. Bone stock LS2/T56/DBW from 2006 GTO, swap completed in 2011. 400rwhp/435 rwtq. 2400# minus driver. JCI swap, Mantic ER2 clutch kit, JTR headers, single exhaust, Borla muffler, MGW shifter, M2 Differentials shortened Z31 CV axles, Z31 CLSD R200, Chequered Flag Racing billet stubs and companion flanges. MSD 2-step, Hurst roll control, both operated from switches on clutch pedal. 9" Hoosier drag slicks on Weld Draglites, 245/45/16 Hoosier A6/R6 on 16X8+10 Rota RBR. 225/250 sectioned coilovers, Koni 8610-1437RACE shocks, DP and EMI camber plates, MM shortened rear control arms, TTT front control arms, poly and aluminum bushings. Top speeds: Ohio Mile 174mph, C/GMS class record holder, best 1/8 mile 6.96 at 100mph, best 1/4-mile 11.0 at 126mph, best 60' 1.43, best 1/2-mile 148mph at GA 1/2-mile. Home Track-Jake's Dragway, Moulton, AL. SCCA autocross club - TVR, Huntsville, AL. Lets race!

#28 Smyrna388Z

Smyrna388Z

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSmyrna, TN USA

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:52 AM

10-4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users