HybridZ

How bad did I scew up my Holset turbo?

djbit

I wanted to clock my HX35W Holset turbo to a better angle, so I removed the big o-ring and decided to bang the housing out with a rubber hammer thing. At first, I could not turned the housing so I sprayed it with lubricant and it sorta started rotating. I started getting curious and decided to just remove the entrire housing. Maybe I could give it a good clean.

It came out after a few bangs but I did not see the impeller from the front since I had taped up the front of the turbo. Long story short, I broke the edges of the three impeller fins and chipped and scratched the housing as well.

Did I screw up the turbo, or can I just buy the impeller (blade)? I know it comes out and is a separate part but I don't see this included in any rebuild kits.

Any one have any advice or a place that may be able to fix it or buy just the impeller? Will the housing still work, perhaps with a good polish?

Thanks everyone!

post-3108-1268597064509_thumb.jpg

post-3108-12685970748236_thumb.jpg

I used a turbo that was considered completely trashed once. The impeller was hitting the comp housing and grinding the vanes. I cleaned the rough edges off of the impeller using a dremel. When I was done it worked just fine. If I were you I would polish out the marks on the housing and get a new impeller. Hell, you could probably run the impeller as is, but I bet you would lose a bit of performance seeing some of it is actually broken off.

I emailed a local turbo repair shop. I also did some more reading on this online. I think I may be able to get a new propeller and have them re-balance it. I can try to find a housing on ebay as well.

If any one knows of a good shop of a turbo shop in San Diego Ca, please let me know.

What a crappy weekend for my z project.

Thanks guys.

Alex

UPDATE:

The local turbo charges me 150.00 for a new compressor wheel and balance (http://usedturbos.net/Catalog/Turbo-Rebuild.html).

A full rebuild would be 350.00, they are adding the 100.00 for the compressor wheel.

I found a place called BAE Turbo Systems (http://baeturbosystems.com/) where I can get a rebuild kit (55.00), http://baeturbosystems.com/turboservicekitformitsubishitd04td04l49177-80410oereplacement-2-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-2-1.aspx) and a new wheel (69.00, http://baeturbosystems.com/hx35.aspx.00). I can then get the local turbo shop to balance the new compressor wheel for 50.00. I will rebuild it myself, being more careful this time!

So I started taking the turbo apart. The compressor wheel does not want to come off. I left it soaking with wd-40. It's supposed to come off after the nut is removed according to everything I have read, right?

post-3108-12688769103653_thumb.jpg

Edited by djbit

That turbo looks real rusty too, it seems to me like every part should be cleaned, maybe even sand blasted before you put it back together. No wonder it it so hard to take apart.

Try using vice grips on the front to twist the compressor wheel wheel you hold on to the turbine wheel with a socket or something. That might break it looks. Also, you could try heating up the compressor wheel.

• 5 weeks later...

Update: I decided to do a total rebuild of turbo and I was quoted ~350.00 which would include balancing and a new compressor wheel. I did a last minute Holset turbo search on ebay and I ran into a professionally rebuilt HY35.

I ended up winning the action at 300.00. I have read that the HX35w has better flow characteristics but I think HY35 will also make me happy. Also, it won't require a spacer in the turbo manifold. My goal is anywhere between 300 to 375whp.

Edited by djbit