HybridZ

280z AC System into a 240z

JSM

I've actually taken the complete HVAC out of a 77 280z to put into my 260z. Although I've never had a chance to install it, I have been able to tinker with it. The "Box" in the dash is the same except for the provisions for the A/C piping. However it does use a diff heater control valve, and some of the controls are vacuum operated. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to work.

I would suggest that you get every part of the HVAC out of the donor car. Including the wiring harness.

Just brought the car home tonight. Screwed my knee up too! Such is life.

When you say wiring harness the whole chasis harness or just the A/C harness if there is such a thing. I'm not running heat.

When you say wiring harness the whole chasis harness or just the A/C harness if there is such a thing. I'm not running heat.

The A/C controls run through the chassis harness. I split the harness open and traced the wires from the controls to the A/C compressor. A good wire schematic is advised because some of the wires to connect to other systems.

When you say wiring harness the whole chassis harness or just the A/C harness if there is such a thing. I'm not running heat.

Things I have noticed doing the swap in a 280

The fan has four speeds instead of three. The additional resistor is in the fan housing.

The fan housings mount *slightly* different between the two models. You may want to keep the 240 fan housing but swap the motor out.

The 240 control panel and the 280 control panel are completely different. Grab the bezel while you are at it and see if it bolts up.

I haven't lined it up, but the location of the water ports for the heater appear to be slightly different.

I'm sure the connectors may have changed so you may want to grab additional lengths of the wire harness

The factory stuff has the vacuum control valves and reservoir bottle in the engine bay - not sure if you want to run those

Make sure you trace out where the holes are in the firewall so you can cut them in the same location on your 240 firewall

The 280 heater housing has mounting bolts that go through the firewall whereas the 240 has welded nuts on the inside - it appears in the same location - but check to confirm. (finding all of this stuff out while doing my own swap...)

The 280 *should* bolt up to where the 240 heater housing mounts to the top of the cowl

Of course, the FSM is uploaded somewhere to get the technical details on the AC system from the 76.

It's not a bolt in - but it's close enough to work, in my opinion.